Saturday, December 3, 2022

Sumerian Archers and Battles Fought

Despite a continued steady-stream of games (three, this past week) and a number of battle reports and analyses projects in work (not all wargaming related), figures are still mustering out from the workbench.  In fact, total figures painted for 2022 is nearing 1,000.  I should push through that hurdle by year-end.

Today sees two, nine figure units of Sumerian archers emerge.  These two stands of massed archers will be classified as 'T' missile troops in ImpetvsTo the Strongest! likely has an equivalent classification for massed archers.  Figures are from Newline Designs.

More Sumerians to come with one unit of heavy infantry and two skirmisher bow finished and awaiting time at the photo booth.  One more BMU of heavy infantry and one more massed archer unit is currently in work at the painting desk.

Also finished and awaiting a turn for a photo shoot are four regiments of Spanish infantry and two regiments of Reichsarmee infantry for the SYW/WAS 18mm project.

On the gaming table, Cropredy Bridge lingers.  My goal I to get at least one or two more playings from the scenario before packing it all away and moving onto another battle.  I am tempted to have a go at it solo and see if the Royalists can triumph after seeing two tabletop losses.  With the rules fresh in minds, perhaps another ECW battle should be given consideration?  We will see if there is interest for a follow-up battle.

Besides the Cropredy Bridge remote fight on Monday, Tuesday saw me participating in a WWII tactical action on the Western Front.  As German platoon commander, I faced an attacking American company. The German objective was to defend two vital points: a bridge and a crossroads.  Funny that the only American at the table commanded the Germans while all British players commanded American platoons.  Facing 3:1 odds against, how did my Germans fare?  While I did not take many screenshots, I may be able to piece together some semblance of a BatRep.  Good fun!

On the Western Front

On Thursday, Peter (of Grid Based Wargaming) invited me to participate in a remote game using his D3 Horse and Musket rules and his 40mm paper soldiers.  Of course, I jumped at the opportunity.

In another post, I will follow-up with a brief recap of the Jacobite battle to demonstrate how the D3 rules work, first impressions, and how my Highlanders fared.

As a glimpse of possible battle outcome, the screenshot below shows my Highlanders maneuvering onto the government army's left flank.  

Highlanders flank the enemy!
Any guesses on the outcome?

38 comments:

  1. You certainly are a busy man, Jon, putting many of us, myself included, to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots going on this week, Keith. No need for shame. We each follow our own path.

      Delete
  2. Those Sumerians look great. Pretty certain you will break through the 1000 figure barrier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil! I am pretty certain to hit 1,000 figures too.

      Delete
  3. Wow a thousand, I thought I was over the top approaching 400! I shall use this to show my missus how restrained I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you need an example to demonstrate your hobby restraint, you may use my predicament as a benchmark.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your splendid Sumerian archers Jonathan, I'm jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Sumerians, there looks to be a nice bit of texture on those figures for the brush to dance over.

    I enjoyed watching the Cropredy Bridge game and agree that it deserves more time on the table. As you know, i have been browsing the Programmed Scenarios book by Grant and scenarios 6 and 7 in there (river crossings) might offer up an element or two to include in your solo game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! "Dancing brush?" No one ever accused me of having one of those!

      Using a chit pull activation mechanism, I may not need any more "programming" but with give Grant a look.

      Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  6. That is some mighty fine productivity on both the painting and gaming fronts. Grand looking Sumerian additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Phil! Winter is a more active time for wargaming here.

      Delete
  7. Excellent painting Jon, and how busy you have been sir. Wonderful looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Darren! Idle hands (and mind) are the devil's workshop.

      Delete
  8. A thousand figures will be a very creditable effort Jonathan, particularly given that a lot have been 28mm like the beautiful Sumerian archers this week and the amount of remote gaming you have hosted and participated in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lawrence. Painting 1,000 figures annually is somewhat of a benchmark for me. Surprisingly, I have been able to make this benchmark in 15 of the last 17 years. Making this milestone over the last two years is even more surprising given the explosion of gaming at my and others' tables.

      Delete
  9. A 1000 figures a year is very impressive. You must have plenty of storage space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plenty of storage space but not as much as available 30,000 figures ago.

      Delete
  10. Now that's what I call an enjoyable week! Re: the remote game with Peter, it's amazing what quality you can get with a phone camera. Hmmmm, food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Three enjoyable games, each very different in three different centuries. The ECW game on Monday was a blast.

      The game was easily playable with only one iPhone as the webcam. I think the table may have been four feet.

      Delete
  11. Splendid new toys Jonathan…
    A thousand figures in a year would certainly be well beyond my capabilities… if I can achieve half as much I will be delighted.
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aly! As for painting figures, the first 500 are always the hardest.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff Jon what’s it like to be a ‘Full Time’ wargamer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! FT wargamer? Not really but some days it may appear so. Tuning into a three-hour remote game is the same as attending a meeting. Very easy to squeeze in a 3-4 hour block of time.

      Delete
  13. Fine work on those Sumerian archers Jon, but I can't imagine how awkward the 'armoured sleeve' on the left arm must have been, when trying to knock a new arrow and loose it from the bow!

    You certainly have been busy on the gaming front. Real life has hit my games of late, although a large one is set up and ready to go later on today:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Steve! It does seem that that the protective drape would interfere with bow operation, doesn't it?

      Most weeks do not see three games. This past week was exceptional. I look forward to seeing your return to the gaming table. What do you have planned?

      Delete
    2. Some WWII action based upon a Featherstone scenario, but transposed to Operation Barbarossa. Nice to be on a 6' x 4' table, but had forgotten how much room it takes up and how little space there is to move around it!

      Delete
    3. Sounds great, Steve! We do not often see you playing on a 6'x4' do we? A solo game today?

      Delete
    4. Yep, solo as it allows me to fit in with my role as parent carer at present. Set the game up last night, deployed the troops at lunchtime and will play this evening. 6' x4' games are good, but boy do they mean limited space around the table and me having to clear lots of stuff to allow me to move around. Oh for big houses like you have in the US!

      Delete
    5. Having a large house is both a blessing and a curse.

      Perhaps one day, you will be tempted by a remote game? It takes up no room and you only need to clear your schedule of a couple of hours.

      Delete
  14. Lovely figures and beautifully painted Jonathan. You're are busy chap. It exhausted me just reading about your activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard! Really, this is less work than it sounds. Besides, it is fun!

      Delete
  15. More great Sumerians that look lovely as always. Looking forward to reading those batreps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Battle reports are running very far behind.

      Delete
  16. A nice addition to the collection , Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete