Figure 1 shows the stages of creating one hill for my 6mm ancients game board.
- Gather one 40mm round and one 50mm hex.
- Using wood glue, affix 40mm round to center of 50mm hex.
- With dry wall spackle, cover the surface to eliminate abrupt edges and to produce a more rounded hill. Let dry.
- Flock - flocking used for the hill matches the flocking used for the figure bases.
- Spray clear matt to reduce any gloss and help affix flocking to terrain piece.
The finished product is seen below in the set up for the Lake Trasimene scenario.
To my eye, these hills are both aesthetic without overpowering the game board and add a functional, yet minimalist approach to enhancing the game. The water feature is a JR Miniatures' river section.