Monday, January 1, 2024

Year in Review: Games Played

Gaming in 2023 continued at a pace that defies prediction.  In last year's annual review, I figured the number of games played would need to be trimmed back a bit.  From a total of 97 games played in 2021 to 89 games played in 2022, I speculated that the number of games played would be cut back to more manageable levels.

Were the number of games played reduced in 2023?  No!  I actually increased the number of games played topping out at 103.  103 games!  Unbelievable, really.  The last three years demonstrate what is possible, for me, on the gaming front.  Many of these games I hosted also required time for scenario development and design.  For those following along for any length of time, readers recognize this level of gaming activity would not be possible without the introduction of remote gaming via either Zoom or Google Meet.  Yet, none of these totals include solo gaming.  Again, beyond a few playtest sessions and scenario calibrations, solo gaming was once again near nil.  There is simply no time.

Back to the review.  In a gaming retrospective, were these 103 games spread over a wide swath of periods, figures sizes, and rulesets or concentrated in only a few, well-exercised corners? 

Rules
In 2022, 89 games were played over 24 rulesets.  Does 2023 follow a similar trend or present a contrasting perspective in the number of different ruleset played?    This year, the 103 games were played using 23 different rules.  Results show a consistent number of rules to the 2022 counts.  See Table 1, Counts of Games Played in 2023 for details.
Table 1
Like last year, two of the Top 3 rules used were my versions of Basic Impetvs (BI) and Fields of Honor (FoH).  Rounding out the Top 3 was Commands & Colors Ancients (CCA).  Unlike in 2022, CCA battles were mostly fought in 28mm with Scott's armies rather than my own 6mm armies.  These Top 3 rules made up about 62% of all games played.  Is this such a surprise?  Not based upon 2022 numbers where the Top 3 remained as in 2023.  

What did the Top 3 rules have in common?  They are all played on a hex grid and all can be played from a two-sided, 5"x7" QRS.  Even the QRS is only a crutch since the modifiers can be kept in mind once an activation or two is under the belt.  Add to these attributes my ability to play and umpire any of these three with little hesitation or doubt makes it obvious why these rules are favored when I host a game.          

Graphically, Figure 1 illustrates the distribution of games played by ruleset.  Clearly, Basic Impetvs was my favorite but CCA and FoH were not far behind in popularity.  Do I see this trend continuing into 2024?  I suspect so.  Games of FoH are already on the New Year calendar.  
Figure 1
Like the listing in 2022 demonstrated, the 2023 listing contains a preponderance of self-published or homegrown rules.  Very few rules seeing action are commercially available with widespread audiences.  Even Basic Impetvs has been migrated onto a hex grid system and heavily modified to suit my own needs and playing style.  We continue forging ahead as rules' tinkerers.  

Figure Size
What about figure size or scale? Was there breadth in that respect too? Yes, breadth was present in the 2023 slate of games but 25/28mm gaming dominated.  See Figure 2.
Figure 2
While 25/28mm may have dominated games played, the other scales saw action too.  Most of the 25/28mm gaming is attributed to BI and CCA games.   10mm saw a healthy boost from a series of ACW battles fought repeatedly across two historical battlefields.  2023 even saw a naval action in 1/1200.  Hopefully, age of sail games will see a return in the New Year.

Wargaming Period
What if these total games played are broken out by wargaming period?  Were there popular periods in 2023 or did we see a shotgun approach to gaming across all periods as in 2022?
Figure 3
Looking at Figure 3, 20 different wargaming periods saw action on the various hosts' gaming tables in 2023.  Quite a lot of variety in anyone's book.  Unlike in 2022 which saw many periods wrestling for top rung in games played, 2023 saw two clear winners in Ancients and ACW.  The total number of unique periods played remains very similar to the number of rulesets played.  That is diversity.  No one ever complains about either the period or rules played.  That is tolerance.

Which of my collections saw action on the gaming table in 2023?  The list includes:
  • American Civil War
  • American war of Independence
  • Ancient Sumeria
  • Ancients (Punic Wars)
  • Biblicals
  • English Civil War
  • Feudal Japan
  • Franco-Austrian War
  • Reconquista
  • Spanish-American War
  • War of Austrian Succession (SYW)
Eleven of my collections reached the table in 2023.  Superb!  Still, there were a few collections that did not make it to the gaming table.  One notable absence is Napoleonics.  With my Napoleonic collections covering three periods in two scales, I can do better to make sure at least one collection sees the table in a year.  Perhaps I can focus on getting some of those collections left out of 2023 rotation into the 2024 gaming rotation?

Memorable Moments
As in any year, games stand out for any number of reasons.  A few of my favorites from the year just past include:
Sumerian Water Wars
Sumerian Wars in which I lost four straight games to Steve, Matt, Peter, and Mark in rapid succession.
First Manassas
First Manassas fought a total of five times with an assortment of players.  Every game was great fun and most were hotly contested.
Hammerin' Sickles
Hammerin' Sickles reproduced Hood's attack at Gettysburg.  This battle was fought a total of six times with honors just about even.  All of these battles were great fun but one stands out in particular.  In one game, defeat fell on the last die roll of the last activation of the last turn.  Tension was high as that last die roll was made.
Chariot Wars
For pure excitement, few games can match the freewheeling chariot battles that were a regular fixture on the gaming table in 2023.
Ilipa
Finally, few games can see a turn around like the Ilipa game in which DB sent his legion forward and proceeded to cut through and then destroy the Carthaginian Right and Center.  Epic stuff! 

Of course, there were memorable moments in every game.  2023 was a very good year at the gaming table.

What was yours?

The next time I return to the yearly review, I dig into the Painting Log and see what 2023 held.  Did I make my goal of 1,000 painted figures?

Happy New Year!

64 comments:

  1. 103 games is impressive, along with getting your head around 23 rulesets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I had help from you on both counts! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing number of games / variety and Iam surprised that you managed to convey it all so well in a concise post.

    That is a very full plate when you consider that the planning and painting also has to find some time.
    Very nice that you got 11 collections to the table and impressive that you have more than 11 collections for that to be a thing.

    Agree, it would be nice to see the Napoleonics make an appearance.

    One thing I did take is the variety of game and therefore the number of different rule sets being used, but this is simply the consequence of also being involved in games hosted by other people and being exposed to their preferences.

    This something that falls from my own experience and for much of our face-to-face gaming we are generally playing the new shiny thing we have bought, which I reckon doubles the number of new systems that I am exposed to each year.

    Anyway and impressive year and more-so due to the amount of time that you share with others.

    Best Wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the typos - need more coffee!

      Delete
    2. No worries about typos. When a system does not allow edits, we are stuck with what we write.

      2023 saw a very full plate at the gaming table. Really, I am not sure that 100+ games annually is sustainable especially when other activities are drawing my interest. I got in no meaningful solo games and I would enjoy setting aside meaningful time to explore some of the hex-and-counter games I have waiting.

      If we resist the temptation to pare back our collections to the bare minimum, we offer ourselves many choices when inspiration strikes. Besides, these collections eat nothing.

      On the rules front, there were only one or two that were "new and shiny". Most are all seasoned veterans at the gaming table.

      Sharing what we do with others is important. I don't think you disagree.

      Delete
    3. Sharing is the glue that binds us.

      Delete
  3. Wooow! Impressive!
    All the best in 2024 !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive total. Well done on getting the lead on the table. I am in awe of your totals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of games played is almost unbelievable. Had I not taken your advice from several years ago when you suggested that I should "just dive into hosting remote games", these levels of gaming would still be unthinkable. Thank you for that!

      Delete
  5. A very impressive total indeed and I honestly don't know how you find the time nor the energy! Looking at my games in general, I would say that I too have 3 core rulesets for games played at home, with other random ones coming from playing away at friends. Familiarity with the 3 makes planning and playing the games much easier. With 'new' sets I tend to reply upon the host to guide me on how mant dice to roll etc, with myself concentrating on what I want my troops to do.

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I wonder how I find the time and energy too! I keep plugging away and counts go from one, two, three...many.

      When hosting games frequently, having a small cadre of core rules to rely upon is important. Playing often pounds those rules into one's head. I want the players to worry about strategy and tactics and not how to manipulate and fight the rules. I think I do the heavy lifting so players can enjoy the game without a lot of overhead.

      Delete
  6. A splendid array of games there and indeed periods and rulesets, a fine gaming year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fine gaming year, for sure. Happy New Year, Phil!

      Delete
  7. Outstanding record for playing, planning, posting. What you should take a bow for is the quality of the AAR'S which regularly appear. Two players, eight players, any period. Thanks for the fun, looking forward to more in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joe! I am always encouraged by your support for my battle reports. I have settled into a form and style of reporting that works for me.

      Delete
  8. That is quite a year Jonathan, and quite an array of games. This really highlights the contribution you make to our hobby experience. Thank you.
    My personal favourite has to be the Rejects' second outing with Hammerin' Sickles. If only because we finally utilised the reserve order to effect.
    One game every 3.5 days! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Richard, for your kind words of encouragement!

      While The Rejects saw some dynamic battles in the series of Egypt v Hatti chariot battles, your work at Gettysburg was like watching poetry in motion. You stymied the attackers at every twist and turn. The response from your opponents was priceless as you counterattacked and redeployed to thwart their every move. It was great fun!

      Delete
  9. A highly enviable year of gaming Jon! Sometimes, one person can make a big difference. I am looking forward to more in 2024...

    And another curious article concerning mathematics on the 'Web:

    https://www.sciencealert.com/neurons-in-the-brain-appear-to-follow-a-distinct-mathematical-pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most kind, Greg! I am off to read your latest suggestion. Keep those math topics coming!

      Delete
  10. A fantastic years worth of gaming that I’ve been privileged to take part in. Thanks for all the hard work you put in to make these sessions happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome, Mark! Having you at the gaming table has been a privilege for me as well.

      Delete
  11. 103 games! that is very impressive. I've enjoyed reading about them as well. I think the Biblical games have been some of my favourites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! The chariot battles always offer a lot of excitement and drama.

      Delete
  12. Excellent review Jon. The hex games look superb as usual - that Manassas action especially .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darren! Getting the ACW armies back out into battle was great fun.

      Delete
  13. Well, 103 games played in a year: wowsa! Excellents points about facilitating play by modifying rules for local use, having good refrences, and being system-fluent (three maxims, it seems to me). Hard to imagine how you also find time to blog so well and paint figs, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I wonder how I find the time to juggle all of these activities too especially since writing a battle report often takes longer than the actual game.

      Delete
  14. Happy new year Jon……an impressive number of games, given the time to prepare etc….your detailed statistics make me feel slightly tired !😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. I knew there were a lot of games, but 103 is incredible. Great effort Jonathan, with a good assortment of rulesets in there. My bet is that you also did just make the 1000 figure mark, in spite of the recent bout of COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! I am still struggling to throw off this illness.

      You must wait until next time to see if I made the 1,000 figure goal.

      Delete
  16. Hi Jon, we are all impressed by your amazing work rate games, painting and blogging! Thank you so much for being a brilliant remote games host and inviting me to take part in some of them, all of which were great fun. I too will remember that amazing charge of the Roman Legion for a very long time! Here's to 2024..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you were having your moment of reflection about Madonna Dell Olmo, I should have reminded you about Ilipa. But it was my MDO moment (x 3) and I'd wipe it from my memory!

      Delete
    2. Thanks much, David! You are really too kind. Your attack through the heart of the Carthaginian line was devastating. Hopefully we can hit the ground running in 2024 soon.

      Delete
    3. Chris, I reminded David of that very Ilipa event when he lamented his effort at Md'O.

      Delete
  17. Incredible total Jon. But what makes it even more impressive is the amount of games that you prepared b balanced and challenging scenarios for, as well as hosting them in your inimitable style. You must be very organised fitting it all in alongside "real life".
    All the best, and thank you.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of this is quite fun for me. The research and scenario preparations are steps to the icing on the cake; the game. "Inimitable style"? Oh, I like that!

      Delete
  18. A fantastic year for you Jonathan and I am in awe of your energy and organizational ability to fit it all in! How you are able to paint, play and report on all of this is amazing.
    Thank you again for all your blogging efforts. Inspirational and entertaining and very much appreciated.
    I hope you have a great 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, you are most welcome and hope to see your return regularly. Very good to see you as a regular commentator to the blog this year.

      Comments like yours provide motivation to continue.

      Delete
  19. So glad you exceeded a gaming century this year - at an average of two games a week this must be some sort of record! Add the painting and basing of new minis, setting up tables and remote games, choosing scenarios, blog posting and your other extra-wargaming activities, there must never be a minute’s respite in your timetable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike! I doubt that this feat with likely be repeated any time soon. Thank you for your continued support and encouragement! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  20. Truly an impressive number. An all time high I would think. Goes to show that remote gaming really provides more opportunities to play as you get a wider web of people and matching schedules.

    Also very proper that the ACW was the best represented of the CWs.

    Happy New Year! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! Stop the presses! Stew! Great to see that you survived your fall bye-atus and have returned.

      Remote gaming has opened many doors and opportunities. I doubt I reach 100 games again.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  21. Fantastic effort of an average two games per week Jon, given, as you say, you often had to do a lot of planning and preparation for the scenario beforehand.
    One Stat I may have missed is the breakdown of games you hosted v games where you were the guest? I am guessing it would be roughly 70% hosted, 30% guest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! I did not include who hosted what in this analysis. For the record, it was about 50% me vs the World.

      Delete
  22. What a fabulous game count, Jonathan...I would have been ecstatic with a third of that number!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I suspect your gaming with increase once you hit retirement later this year.

      Delete
  23. Happy New Year to you and yours Jon!

    You Sir are a machine!!!
    103 games in a year is mental. I wish I had played half that number. But I'm glad to say I played in a few of those 103 and loved every minute.
    So what are we playing nest and when?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year!

      You participated in a fair number of these games and your exploits were entertaining in every one of them.

      I have a War of Austrian Succession battle out on the table that will likely be the next offering if you are interested. It might require two sessions to fight to conclusion.

      First, I must recover from my current illness which has laid me up for two weeks, now, and counting.

      Delete
  24. probably asked this before but how do you find BI as a ruleset for ease of use and results obtained?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Players seem to enjoy the game very much too. When BI comes up on the docket, I never have trouble finding players to take a seat at the table.

      Delete
  25. You're a model of industriousness, hoping that I can follow your gaming more closely in 2024 and get in a few games of my own. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael! I hope you can get in more gaming too. Didn’t you retire a few years ago? If you ever have an itch to try a remote game, drop me an email.

      Delete
  26. Impressive number of battles. Do you plan to make something similar like your Mollwitz AAR in the future with that fency clock?

    I sometimes forgot that you use FOH instead of HOW. I still prefer HOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I have to look back and see what I did for the Mollwitz AAR. With FoH, can play without having to look up any tabled values. That helps a lot when I am umpiring a remote game.

      Delete
  27. I REALLY must attempt to do some gaming with the system

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, if you are receptive to remote play, I know someone who could provide an introduction.

      Delete
    2. thanks for the support offer Jon, very much obliged

      Delete
  28. The fact that you could even contemplate a year end post dealing solely with the games played, and an analysis of same boggles the mind, Jon. I keep debating whether to completely retire in the Fall of 2025, or whether to do some part time work for a while longer. It can't be doing my usual job in my usual place as I'll just wind up working 5+ days a week regardless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I track it, I might as well report on it!

      As for retirement, I heartily recommend it!

      Delete
    2. Not so much the fact that you did it, the fact that the data set was so large that it was entirely appropriate (and interesting)! :-)

      Delete