Friday, January 26, 2024

Training Exercises

Although the Virtual Wargaming Club (VWC) has seen regular, weekly meetings since the rise of the pandemic, I finally made my first appearance.  Why wait so long before joining into the weekly gatherings?  Perhaps no good reason other than I maintain a fairly busy gaming schedule already and meetings are at 0830 on Saturday mornings, Pacific.  Not an ideal time to stop what I am doing especially during good, cycling weather.  Anyway, with dark days and bad weather of winter still upon me, I figured I would test the waters.  My first session was an enjoyable chat featuring some show and tell and a battle report.  Interesting stuff!

An unexpected pleasure coming out of attending the meeting was the number of follow-up, email conversations spawned.  One such email chain was with Brian, the emcee of the VWC.  

After exchanging emails with Brian on topics such as Fields of Honor, War of Austrian Succession, and remote gaming, we scheduled a gaming session for Wednesday.  Wednesday's initial session would provide an introduction to both the rules and remote gaming.  Since the Battle of Madonna dell'Olmo (Md'O) is still out on table, I offered this scenario as a training exercise.  With a copy of the original rules published in 2000 in-hand, Brian chose to command the Austro-Piedmontese. I took command of the Franco-Spanish.  Now, we did not expect to fight the battle to conclusion but only run through a few turns to get a feel for the game.  We actually managed to complete five turns in about 2.5 hours. 

How did the session pan out?  With a training exercise as the main purpose of this session, I touch on some of the salient battle points in abbreviated fashion.  Please read on.
The Battlefield
The Armies
Heeding analysis on the Piedmontese opening gambit,
Corbeau hits Md'O with maximum force.
Spanish grenadiers are overwhelmed as Corbeau
 watches the Spanish fall to the bayonet.
As Piedmontese Left and Center cross the road,
de Courrier brings his Gallispan cavalry up. 

Guns erupt on the battlefield.  Stuck in the open,
 the lead Piedmontese regiment takes a pounding.
Swiss advance upon Cascina Pasquale.
Grenz work their way around Md'O
in a possible flanking maneuver.
Piedmontese Royal Cavalry goes into reserve
 in anticipation of opportunity.
After delays crossing the sunken road,
 the Piedmontese Right Wing clears this obstacle. 
The Spanish attack!
Piedmontese militia scatter.
Piedmontese Right readies for action.
While Grenz continue working to outflank Md'O, 
the Royal Cavalry seizes an opportunity and strikes.
Unfortunately, its attack is repulsed
with few casualties to the defenders.
de la Ville's cavalry attack the defenders
 of San Giacomo and Spanish dragoons.
The attack against San Giacomo is repulsed
 but the Spanish break for the rear.  
The Spanish bring up more cavalry to plug the hole.
Looking down the Gallispan Line from the Left.
Md'O position is outflanked but
Spanish support moves up to counter.
French and Spanish attack!
With five turns in the books after about three hours of play, we called a halt to hostilities having provided Brian a solid grounding in the rules.  I reckon most of the Rules of Engagement saw a good workout.  If victory were to be assessed, the result would have been a draw as the Piedmontese held Md'O but suffered more broken brigades than the enemy.  A fitting draw and a great way to conclude the session.

After some post-game discussion, I asked Brian if this was something he would be interested in trying again.  I added that there was no need to answer now but ponder it over.  Without hesitation, he said, "I don't need to think about it, yes"!  

That was a good day out.  Thanks, Brian!  Hope to see you back at the gaming table again.

51 comments:

  1. Nice job Jon - you have introduced another player to the rules AND sold them on the concept of remote gaming - a good way to spend three hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We can never have too many ready and willing opponents, can we? This was time well-spent, indeed.

      Delete
  2. A good example of how remote gaming has become part of the wargaming fabric that binds the hobby community together and how it opens up opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm! One of the strengths of gaming remotely is that, as you say, it opens up opportunities to game that might not be possible otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Interesting to see your set up. I have had some enjoyable game via Zoom with Brian.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see the set up again later today. I would like to hear about your remote gaming experiences with Brian.

      Delete
  4. Another enjoyable wargaming diversion to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another enjoyable diversion, no doubt. Keeping busy? Absolutely! About time for us to schedule another game.

      Delete
  5. Good to see such powerful cavalry forces and not just a few horsemen as a decorative add on. Remote gaming is not something I've tried but the Virtual Wargame Club is a must when I can - a truly international group, all are welcome whatever your time zone - it's good to have you onboard.
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, of course, I recommend giving remote gaming a go. Thank you for the welcome!

      Delete
  6. Will have to check out this VWC, interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting concept. I have considered something similar with the group of gamers for which I regularly game. The problem (if it is a problem) is that I am regularly gaming with some of them. VWC is a good alternative.

      Delete
  7. Good to see you getting another game in Jon and of course meeting up with new gamers, courtesy of the likes of Zoom. A real boon for those who cannot get out to a club, meet up with friends etc for whatever reason. As always the game looks great and the scenario continues to deliver:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another week; another game. The Gaming Life seems to be returning to normal. Thanks for your encouragement, Steve!

      Delete
  8. Glad to see joining the VWC has produced results ( see I did say you were the master at remote gaming).
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The club has produced results very quickly, indeed! I enjoyed myself gaming with Brian earlier in the week.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the new player and all the adventures that await. Sunday 8 am, I understand the need to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that worked out very well! A great advert for remote gaming, AND your adaptation of the rules Jon.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! It worked out well with thanks to you for all of the experience and practice through our many games.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic, another potential opponent. Despite a very clear batrep it’s much easier to follow a game report when you’ve played the scenario yourself. Have you thought about a computerised die roll system that could be displayed on screen somehow so that all players use it - might even out peoples luck a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Can we ever have too many ready opponents? I agree that BatReps make much more sense once the scenario has been played.

      On automated die rolling, first don't trust 'em! Second, I am not sure how to implement unless Zoom adds a built-in die roller. since I am rarely at the laptop, it would need to be something that players could activate and use.

      Delete
    2. Yes, no sense leaving the process open to cheating, imagine the scandal sheets "Saturday morning dice cheating at Tin soldiers!" :-)

      Delete
    3. I trust the players. I have my doubts about automated dierollers.

      Delete
  12. Good to see you getting a game in and picking up another opponent for your virtual games

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a splendid training game indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to have Madonna dell'Olmo ready to go as a training game. You must be awash with opponents by now Jonathan. Great to see that bike riding is also back in your thoughts again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Awash with opponents" is a good description. Cycling returns slowly but not outdoors.

      Delete
  15. As has been already said, another excellent battle report. Of course, virtual/distant gaming has moved from the novel to the mainstream (just about), but for some reason the idea of a Virtual Wargame Club still seems novel (maybe because this is the first I've heard of it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ed! Is remote Wargaming mainstream now? While I am busy at it, not sure it is quite mainstream. The Virtual Wargame Club is an interesting idea.

      Delete
  16. Excellent looking game and report there of. And nice to get some additional narrative at this evenings VWC. The rules look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the battle reporting, Andy, both here and the VWC. I love the rules. If you ever want to give this try, let me know.

      Delete
  17. Many thanks for the geam Jon, it was very enjoyable. As I mentioned I've run/plaayed a few remote games previously and during the pandemic used to play co-op boardgames regularly on a Friday evening. A down turn in my health paused that activity so it was nice to be a proper armchair gamer while you did all the hard work - much appreciated. A chat about the Fields of Honor rules has quicly led to further discussion, a game and I've now ordered a hex cloth to suit my 6mm figures along with some new webcams! Our game was rather more sedate than your previous game but perhaps I was considering the strategic situation that I need to engage the Gallispans and that a draw was good enough, and important not to lose. Very enjoyable and I'm sorry I didn't feel up to continuing longer as I struggled against the pain of this trapped nerve. I look forward to another game when you have the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, you are welcome! Very happy to see that you enjoyed our "Training Exercise." I sure did. We played long enough for you to come to grips with the rules and playing on my set up. We accomplished our goals! Great to see that our session and discussions have prompted the pursuit of webcams for your own games.

      There will be more opportunities for more gaming, no worries.

      Delete
  18. Nice report Jonathan, and I note on the table a number of 6mm buildings that I designed and manufactured back in the 1980s-1990s...back when I could make things that small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! You made the buildings? I still have a handful that remain unpainted.

      Delete
    2. Between 1986 and 1999 I was involved with a company called Military Miniatures. I designed extensive ranges of 6mm, 15mm and 25mm buildings and cast them in resin. We sold good numbers of these to the USA.

      Delete
    3. I vaguely recall that name. I picked a bunch of them up at the PNW Enfilade! con in the late 90's/early 2000s.

      Delete
  19. You are the perfect ambassador for remote gaming: you got a nice physical set up; rules that work well with the hexes, hexes make gaming easier, miniatures for every genre known to man, plus you are a kind and charming person. Of course everyone who games with you wants to do it again. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  20. A draw is an excellent result for the Savoy-Austrian army. Three hours and 5 turns sound very well too. I'm not convinced enough by Post of honour but maybe you could send me your OOB to make it possible for me to recheck my own scenario. The outcome/performance of the armies very much depends on the rating of their qualities. I'm always impressed how often you manage to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A draw is an excellent result and allows the Piedmontese to score a strategic victory by replicating the historical outcome.

      I don’t play POST OF HONOR but FIELDS OF HONOR. I will send my OB but it is calibrated for FIELDS OF HONOR rules.

      Delete
    2. Aaah! Excuse me. Thank you very much. Your postings are always inspiring. I still hope to learn from your output how to make my own AARs more interesting and easier to read.

      Delete
  21. Sounds like another good game and always good to expand your gaming circle!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete