Thursday, January 4, 2024

Year in Review: Figures Painted


When I look back to the beginning of 2023 (see 2022 Year in Review: Figures Painted), my main painting goals were,
  • Continue expansion of the 18mm SYW/WAS project to include more armies. In addition to Spanish and Piedmontese, field a British/Hanoverian army.
  • Build a 15mm Prussian Army to allow expansion of the Franco-Austrian War collection to the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian Wars.
  • Continue work to expand the 25mm Biblical armies including Sumerians, Hittites, Egyptians, Assyrians, and Babylonians.
I did not specify a particular target figure count to attain but my goal is often to shoot for 1,000 in a year.  It is a nice round number and a good goal.

As you will see, the expansion of the SYW/WAS project sped ahead on track.  Unfortunately, the 15mm FPW Prussian Army never left the starting blocks and Biblicals only saw a few additions.  I mentioned the possibility of beginning a Trojan War project in 2023.  That, likewise, never made it out of the starting gate.

So, what did I manage to accomplish on the painting front in 2023?

Well, I managed (but just barely!) to cross the 1,000 figure threshold in 2023.  As they say, it was a near-run thing.  Final tally showed 1,015 figures painted.

Monthly Totals
As the chart below shows, 2023 started off with a bang with more than 100 figures painted in three of the first four months.  After that, productivity plunged.  I never regained the 100 figures/month mark again.  As seen from the red bars, the 15/18mm SYW project saw most of the action at the painting desk.
Figures painted by month
Totals by Era and Scale
Switching from the monthly bar chart to a pie chart, the total effort given to the SYW project is clear. Nearly 76% of all figures painted (767) were in this period.  Few other periods saw much attention besides the 136 ACW figures mustered out. 
Total figures painted by era - actual
When the number of figures is translated into painting points (where larger figures and different troop types are assigned more weight), the picture does not change much.  The exception is that the 25mm Biblicals show up as their own category from the "Other" grouping.  Still, even with this translation, SYW comprises about 75% of all painting effort.
Total figures painted by era - painting points
When the counts are broken out by figures size (scale), it is no surprise that the emphasis on painting 15/18mm SYW figures tips the scale to that figure size.  The chart below illustrates that 82% of all figures painted fall into this classification.
Total figures painted by scale- actual
As noted, one of the 2023 goals was to focus on fielding more armies for the SYW project.  The plan was to field armies for Piedmont, Spain, and Hanover.  

Did I stick to that plan?  Yes!

The graphic below shows that all three of the nations saw action at the painting desk.  Piedmont fielded 261 figures, Spain saw 204 figures added, and Hanover saw 262 figures march out.  A handful of figures for other nationalities marched out too. 
Total SYW figures painted by nation
So, on the first count of bringing more SYW/WAS figures to the table, I call this a success.  For the other goals, I missed the mark but there is always another year to make up lost ground.

Looking Ahead
What do I foresee for the painting desk in 2024?

While 2023 focused on mustering out troops for the SYW/WAS project, 2024 will likely see more of the same.  With a large stock of lead for this project remaining, I could easily carry on as in 2023 especially fielding more French, Hanoverians, Piedmontese, and Spanish.  Perhaps, British and Jacobite contingents will work their way into the painting queue in 2024?  I could foresee expanding this project to include yet another theater of operations.

2023 was clearly the year of painting SYW in 15/18mm.  2024 ought to show a little more diversification by returning to some work in 25/28mm.  There are lots of Biblicals to field including a possible start to a Trojan War project.  Besides, Trojans could give my Hittites someone else to fight.  What about the long delayed FPW Prussians?  Perhaps this is the year for them?  

The path forward requires some more thought.

Dialing back the painting effort seems reasonable for 2024.  I set the target at 750 painted figures.

Lastly, the graphic below shows that 2024 marks the 30th year that I have been tracking my painting production.  While I began tracking in 1994, 1995 was the first full year of results.  I have been at this for a very long time!        
What are your painting plans for 2024?

48 comments:

  1. Impressive as always, Jonathan! What I'm curious about, and which might be a neat future blog post by you, is where/how do you store all of your figures? You may have posted this sometime in the past, but I can't recall. As for my plans for 2024 - nothing in the paint queue at the moment, but looking forward to getting some RJW games in using TMWWBK - might even try the rules with WW1 too. Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question of where and how I store my figures is not so interesting. They are all stored in the game room either along a wall or under the table. I could take a few photos.

      I look forward to seeing your RJW games.

      Delete
  2. Impressive total Jon. But what really strikes me is the sheer range of periods shown in your last chart!
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have many periods. Some would say too many.

      Delete
    2. Some might say that. But we ignore those some for being tiresome. 😀

      Delete
  3. Good job meeting your painting goals. 1000 is a very impressive number. And you presented the data on typical JF style. 😀

    You started tracking you painting when I was in high school. Double impressive to have kept at it for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew! It was close right down to the wire.

      Thirty years is an awfully long time to be doing anything.

      Delete
  4. I had every confidence that you would attain the thousand-figure target Jonathan. I agree in that there is something satisfying about that with anything more in a year a bonus. What is particularly impressive is the high level of quality, and the fact that you do it around hosting and participating in so many games each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence, I made it but only just. My painting does not compare to either the quality or quantity of your output but I keep plugging away. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Agree with Lawrence that it is your high output against a background of high game rate that is impressive.

    By own painting goals are to build up 1809 forces, broken up by feeding the WotR armies and 1943 east front forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will watch your armies grow in 2024. I know what is planned for 1809, what additions do you have slated for WotR and 1943?

      Delete
    2. I have just bought flags for the Stanley brothers, so I can see their contingents getting support and for 1943, the infantry need building up, some anti tank guns for both sides are needed and I have a box of SU 76 (Plastic Soldier Company) that need building and introducing, plus a few city buildings are in the stash.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Norm. Have you decided on rules for your 1943 project?

      Delete
  6. Jonathan,
    I have said it before and will say it again, you are a painting machine!
    I'm sure you must be using magic or slave labour!
    Is this where Stew REALLY disappears to - your basement painting table? ☺
    Whatever the reason, it's an impressive total.
    I don't work well to targets; I'd rather aim for an aspiration.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, these are all painted by my hand. Bringing Stew in for painting during Q4 might not be as beneficial as you might think. We would likely spend all of our time gaming rather than painting. After all, I do have armies for the Best Civil War.

      Delete
    2. I can picture myself in a basement surrounded by tubs of painted miniatures and JF would ask “what should we play?” And I would close my eyes and spin around a few times with my arm extended pointing and randomly end on one collection and say “that one.” 😀

      Delete
  7. A very impressive year yet again Jon, with consistently high quality alongside the figure count. The last graph is really rather mind boggling to me! I too would like to see where you keep you figures within the games room, as space is always an issue for me, even with my modest collections.

    Plans or vague aspirations for this year are to firstly finish off those sundry support units for my WWII British and German forces that have been in the pipeline for far too long. This will then allow me to play out my nascient campaigns without having to compromise on OOB etc.

    Once this is done then likely more of the same on my ImagiNations 18thC forces and all being well, my 19thC ones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Steve! as Matt notes, I have boxes of figures stacked to the ceiling in places and under the table holds many more boxes.

      Sounds like you have solid painting plans for 2024 even if details are bit fuzzy at present.

      Delete
  8. Impressive painting Total Jonathan, I think we all have projects we aim to start and never get around to. Something else grabs our attention and off we go on something different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of us have many projects diverting our attention from our priorities. i have been wanting to start both Trojans and FPW Prussians for a few years now and counting.

      Delete
  9. Fantastic result for 2023 Jonathan. Especially, as others have said, the quality of the results, the number of games you play and the blog posts you write. As well as tracking it all. You do sleep sometimes don't you? 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben! I sleep sometimes but never too much.

      Delete
  10. Wonder factory. Wonderful figures,wonderfully painted. Wonderful scenarios with wonderfully reported AAR'S. All this and your support for so many blogs.....truly epic. We are getting snow Sunday but I hope for two games between today and tomorrow. No where your output, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, Joe! We are expecting snow this weekend with another snowstorm expected right behind. Good luck in your weekend games!

      Delete
  11. Outstanding as always Jon - getting in all that painting AS WELL AS 103 games is pretty impressive. I look forward to following the 2024 progress!
    As to my own painting plans, I have a few figures in hand or en route but don't have any definite plans for a significant collection - I have been toying with the idea of some opponents for my Blitzkrieg Bosches - maybe Poles? More thinking to do on that thought.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith! Building out a Polish army to fight your German Green beans would be very good. Do it!

      Delete
  12. Excellent turn out Jon, I’m not sure I could maintain focus on one period for so long. Your painting record shows why you have soldiers from nearly every period stacked floor to ceiling 👍 as for me this year Napoleonics, ECW, Samurai and then wherever the feeling takes me 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Matt! I did get a little tired of painting 46 foot figures at a time but I pressed on. Likely some more of the same in 2024 but I plan to break this up with work on other projects.

      Launching a new project is always great fun and I look forward to seeing your Samurai armies take shape.

      Delete
  13. A very productive year all round there Jonathan. I really should keep more focused on a particular period but variety is the spice of life they say, that's my excuse for period hopping anyway. I shall try and focus on the 1940 project and getting the Napoleonic French into a usable force to play Soldiers of Napoleon against Dave's British I will then start on my own British force but the butterfly is a fearsome enemy 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is the spice of life and it helps keep the painting mojo high. I like to period hop too but, this year, I maintained a stricter focus. Looking forward to seeing what marches off your table in 2024.

      Delete
  14. I concur with the rest - very impressive! That is about a decade's worth for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always enjoy reading your analysis... of anything! Your production is incredibly impressive. Plus, it is matched by quality, which acts as a multiplier on the impressiveness scale.
    As for my painting aspirations, I look to add to both my 6mm and 28mm French Revolutionary Wars collection. Augmenting the French and Austrians, and moving onto the Prussians. I want to add more to my FPW armies. Lastly, add some WW2 planes to their respective air forces. I don't plan too hard, as sometimes I just need to follow a whim to keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I am happy to see that the analysis is entertaining.

      FRW in two scales? Some would think that madness. I certainly cannot judge you...

      Delete
  16. Impressive total Jonathan...like others I have no idea how you fit any painting in around your gaming.

    My own targets are more modest this year...a couple of hundred Ottoman Turks, 60 Austrian Grenadiers and about 120 mounted FPW figures. Beyond that I have no inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! How do I fit this in? I am retired! Soon, you will be in a similar state.

      You are dialing back your painting ambitions quite drastically from previous years.

      Delete
  17. As always an impressive amount of figures painted! I also have several projects that are either barely started or still in the planning stages.....for years that is.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christopher, you may need to pull the trigger on one or two of these projects.

      Delete
  18. With all your wargaming last year, achieving your 1000 painted figure target is a great effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. This is an effort I may not repeat again. We will see.

      Delete
  19. Well sir, all I can say is that you certainly take your fun seriously--and achieve admirable outcomes! Trojan wars would be a fascinating project to see developed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Every year I'm just blown away by your productivity. I can't fathom painting 1000 models in a year. Fantastic work. I hope this year's goals come to fruition. I'd love to see those Trojans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaron, it has been a long time since last seeing you pop up here. Welcome back!

      Delete