Friday, April 28, 2017

1859 French Artillery Limber in 15mm

While only a single artillery limber and team, it is always a welcome addition to push one of these pieces of equipment across the painting desk regardless of the number.  The limber and team were pressed into the painting queue in between two larger units.  Painting only one team was not as painful as setting about to finish three or four of these auxiliary pieces.  And once it is done, it is done!
Like almost all (all but one, that is) of the limbers and teams in the 1859 collection, this piece is from Freikorps 15s.  With ten French guns and crew completed and only four limbers listed as finished in the Painting Log tally, work still remains to bring the French artillery park up to full strength.  Maybe I will continue slipping a limber or two in between other larger efforts?  At least four more remain in The Lead Pile awaiting an opportunity to slide over to the "finished" side of the ledger.

Following the conclusion of the first quarter's concentration on the 1859 Battle of Montebello, painting action on the 1859 project will likely take a back seat to other more "urgent" projects.  Actually, no projects have a feeling of urgency at present since most have reached the point where games can be fielded with troops at hand.  The only project with any urgency might be the Biblical project featuring my budding Assyrian troops.  Jake is ramping up production on a likely foe for my Assyrians in the form of an Egyptian army.  He is making great headway already (see Jake's Egyptian works here and here).  Seems the arms race is on and I need to ramp up my production.

  

22 comments:

  1. Nice work Jonathan. I always find it hard to motivate myself to buy limbers, and they are always the last thing to get painted. Well worth the investment and time in the end though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nathan!
      I am in the same situation regarding painting limbers. Do not much care for it but certainly happy when it is done.

      Delete
  2. A handsome addition to the collection! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking limbers, a luxury for me at the moment but they really make the scene.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, one man's luxury is another man's necessary evil...

      Delete
  4. Really nice. I always love the look of limbers on the table (other people's), but I just can't bring myself to doing them myself. Bravo to those who can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! "Most" of projects have limbers introduced into the mix. I enjoy seeing them on the table but do not like getting them to that point. Still, I press and get them done.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work. Embrace the need for supporting miniatures! It is not about the number of warrior pieces on the table, it is all about crafting a beautiful game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! I do believe number of figures on the table has merit.

      Delete
  6. Also, this is not the first time you have accused me of an arms race. I am simply doing my part to provide opposition. I am not sure if my sanity is prepared for another arms race with so many Samurai and Koreans left to finish... At least let me get chariot done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, ok. I retract the arms race statement. We both enjoy building opposing starter armies that tend to get larger over time.

      Delete
  7. Nice job.......I am a sucker for those nice looking but not very useful game elements too. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I agree! Tough to get motivated to paint non-combatants.

      Delete
  8. Nice looking piece, Jonathan. i love painting all the equipment - its the icing on the cake really...it just finishes the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a rare breed that enjoys painting equipment. Most I know prefer painting combatants to non-combatants. Limbers do ice the cake.

      Delete
  9. Mark is surely the odd man out; like almost all of the rest, I like the loom but avoid purchasing and painting them as much as possible. Yours looks great though, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter, for confirming I am not alone..

      Delete