Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Limbering Along

Maybe that should be "lumbering along?"  Anyway, off the painting desk this afternoon are three 15mm Austrian limbers each with teams of six.  These limbers exhaust the stockpile of Austrian limbers.  With the addition of these three limber teams, the project now can muster eight total limbers and teams.  I hope eight is enough.  The figures are Freikorps 15s.

Looking back at old blog posts, I find it hard to believe that it has been two years since the 1859 project has been out on the table for a review (DEC2012 1859 Review).  About 100 infantry and a number of limbers were added in 2014.  Progress has slowed since managing enough figures to refight the northern portion of Solferino (San Martino) in 2013.  That battle was a fun exercise and an interesting situation for both combatants.  I may try that again.  Perhaps, now, there are enough battalions to include the Sardinian outflanking maneuver on Madonna della Scoperta as part of the San Martino battle?

The Sardinian grenadier regiments were part of the Madonna della Scoperta action and two of these grenadier regiments are on the painting desk now.

16 comments:

  1. Eight was enough for Dick van Patten, but certainly not for your support collection. I always like seeing supporting pieces being completed. They are part of the essential support structure that gets left out in too many games. I like the paint scheme. The one black horse makes a nice counterpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You caught my reference. Limbers: essential but not my favorite objects to paint. I do enjoy them when the job is over.

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Jonathan. And impressive with the full 6-horse compliment - I cheated and only used 4-per for my Napoleonics :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. A four horse limber is not cheating especially in 28s. My 28mm Napoleonics field four horse limbers. Cheating to me is fielding puny two horse limber teams!

      Delete
  3. Great looking Limbers and train. Joe is fond of adding Limbers to his collection, while I... am not. Perhaps when my Napoleonics are "done", I can then add more than the token one or two per nation.

    Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter!

      Far too often, adding limbers is an afterthought for me as well. I much prefer building combatants.

      Delete
  4. I have to admit that limbers are always the last part of a project that I buy and paint. I prefer to get the teeth of the army completed first. They look great and I love this period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Nate! Little enjoyment is derived from painting limbers and caissons. I do enjoy it when they are finished.

      Delete
  5. Nice job on these limbers Jonathan, always realistic on a table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done jonathan,
    Good to get the limbers out the way in a collection. i need to address my lack of painted limbers at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul and quite right! Feels good to get them finished and out of the way. As I mentioned earlier, painting limbers is often an afterthought for me too.

      Delete
  7. I must be a bit of an oddity but I prefer the limbers/wagons/command stands to the endless infantry battalions. Excellent job on these pieces and good to see Freikorps15 getting some "internet show time".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt! I think you ARE in the minority! Limbers are a good way to break up the monotony of painting seemingly endless battalions, though.

      The Freikorps limbers for the 19th Century range are quite good for all of the combatants. A little smaller than other ranges but I like their limbers quite a lot.

      Delete
  8. Jon, these look beautiful, as always. I've painted and based 6 of these limbers altogether, and still have 3 more to do. I actually left the seated figures off the limbers because they are SO small. On the other hand, the limber riders are much beefier and really an excellent fit with my OG15s. To replace the seated figures, I've borrowed OG15 artillery crew figures and position them at the rear of the limber, or holding the spare horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a good tip re the limber riders.

      Delete