Friday, March 5, 2021

Egyptian Chariot from BTD

I may actually be back to painting Biblicals for the time being.  Following up from the recent Nubian post, today an Egyptian chariot and crew muster out from the painting desk.  That is two Biblical Pass-in-Reviews in a row.  This chariot is the last of the Black Tree Design Egyptian chariots left in The Lead Pile

Astute readers may wonder if yet another Egyptian chariot is needed given that a HUGE Egyptian Army landed in my lap at Christmas (see: With a Friend Like This).  That is a reasonable question.  My answer?  Well, if I have it, I might as well paint it.  Right?

For unpainted BTD Egyptians, this is about it besides a few odds and ends.  A number of Egyptian infantry and chariots remain in The Lead Pile from prior purchases from Newline Designs.  With the acquisition of the Egyptian Army, motivation to paint them has dropped way down the list.
More Hittites will be forthcoming from the painting desk as well as Sea Peoples and Assyrians.  I had planned to begin another Biblical army in 2021 with thoughts of fielding Trojans.  Those thoughts have been derailed.  Now, my thoughts and recent purchases suggest that Sumerians may be the order for the year.  We will see.

On recent games, remote gaming is still in full swing.  Matt has already reported on the AWI Ambush at Elm Brook battle and he is planning a Breed's Hill fight very soon.

For the Monday Night Gaming group (that curiously meets on Tuesday!), the last two weeks featured the Battle of Tewkesbury (see: Tewkesbury Talking Points) and a battle during the War of the Pacific (see: A Short Break in Bolivia).  I may yet put my spin on these two battles but Graham provides enjoyable battle accounts available in the links above.  Besides, his in-person photos are much better than my screenshots from Zoom.      

50 comments:

  1. I do like the Bibilical / Chariot armies. Very nice work.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. First class chariot unit Jonathan, a pleasure to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely chariot , perhaps you have answered you previous question about projects being completed when do you have enough Egyptian chariots ?You’ll need to get an enormous game on the go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! does one EVER have enough chariots? The answer is a toughie.

      Delete
  4. Looks great. I do love the look of these sort of ancient type armies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking chariot and nice shield! Pity about the Trojans, maybe one day!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! Well, since I have a HUGE pile of Trojans, I expect to tackle them one day.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. What rules do you use for Biblicals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far, only "To the Strongest!" has been tried. I would like to give the Biblical armies a run-out with Impetvs.

      Delete
  7. Very nice Jonathan and as you have them, you might as well finish them:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was looking forwards to your account of your Bolivian game. I always like to see what the players think was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I am really not sure I KNEW what was happening!

      Delete
  9. Quality Johnathan as is to be expected. Your painting style drives me nuts because its so damned neat, with lovely bases. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are very kind, Robbie! I hold a mutual respect for your brushwork as well.

      Delete
  10. An impressive return to the period, Jonathan! Another great looking NKE chariot with runners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, I love chariots and the more modern approach to basing, to having runners included, just elevates them visually.

    I was going to suggest that your unpainted Egyptian chariots be used as the Canaanite chariot corps, to be used as allies ...... but on checking, the Canaanite chariot is slightly heavier, with the spokes and axle position different - so there we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! I am sure I will find use for more Egyptian chariots. No worries there!

      Delete
  12. Nice work Jonathan. I must say the Trojans would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! I could still change my mind or do both.

      Delete
  13. Great job! I imagine that biblical chariots are kinda like WWII Sherman tanks....you always want more. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, a lot, Stew! Chariots v Shermans; a new book from Osprey?

      Delete
  14. It's another outstanding addition to your Biblical collection Jon. Hopefully you manage to get to their New Line brothers one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Splendid work Jonathan, always fancied a couple of biblical armies but the lure of Rome has always been to great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil! Who says you cannot have both Roman and Biblical armies? I do!

      Delete
  16. A fine addition, and I really like the way you have done this Jonathan. Terrific work. Funnily enough, my Tuesday Night Wargaming group has been meeting on a Monday for the past four or so years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Lawrence! That is funny about groups meeting on a different day of the week than their namesake. Why did you switch to Monday? Why did Graham's Monday night group switch to Tuesday? Enquiring minds want to know.

      Delete
  17. Great looking Chariot stand. Have been tempted by Egyptians before but always managed to resist. Might go back to the Trojans later this year depending on how things work out.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross! Egyptians are very enticing, aren't they? I would enjoy seeing a return to your Trojans.

      Delete
  18. Can't have too many chariots, surely? (The Gaels would approve I'm almost certain.)

    Great stuff sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Never too many...I like the way you think.

      Delete
  19. I remember the last of these looking splendid Jonathan, but I think this one looks even 'splendiderer'! Great effects, particularly the shields.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice stand Jonathan! I particularly like the shading on the white tunics and loincloths bringing out the folds of the cloth. It’s not easy to do that in white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike! The shading is due to the Minwax stain only.

      Delete
  21. Your ancient units are always great. I'm still eager to see them in action. :-) Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrè! I am anxious to see them in action too.

      Delete
  22. Yet another lovely addition to your collection Jonathan...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great, Jon, and it is hard to have too many chariots! :-)

    sadly, the BTD Chariot era figures seem to have disappeared from their listings. Perhaps they are redoing the molds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter!

      The BTD Ancients have been out of production for nearly two years now, I think. Last I heard, they may be resculpted and reintroduced as a Kickstarter.

      Delete