Monday, November 11, 2019

Celtic Cavalry

Following up on the Celtic warband of last week, two units of Celtic cavalry trot out from the painting desk.  The two stands muster out as medium cavalry suitable for either Impetvs or To the Strongest!  Figures are from Crusader Miniatures.
With four BMUs of Celtic cavalry now available for battle, the core of the Celtic cavalry contingent for Telamon may be in place.  If needed, another two BMUs of Germanic cavalry can be pressed into service to fill out the ranks.  Spanish heavy horse could see action too if the OB requires more cavalry.  I really should begin looking closely at the force strengths and begin refining an OB.  After focusing much of my attention on fielding Celts, I may find I need to call up more Romans for battle.  With one more Celtic warband in work, I will pull the collection together and put together a representative battle plan.  Am I nearly completion?  I think so.  Time to find my source material on Telamon and build the Order of Battle and a scenario.  Will the battle be fought using Impetvs or To the Strongest?  Perhaps both but TtS! is more recently in mind.  

Work at the painting desk was brisk last week.  A couple of hundred 10mm ACW infantry saw action as did more work on the 30mm ECW project.  One of the units for the ECW project included the first glimpse of 1st Corps' expanding ECW range.  The 1st Corps' cavalry figures in work are very nice and seem to fit in well with the Redoubt cavalry that dominates the collection.        

44 comments:

  1. More great work and I'm looking forward to seeing them all assembled for Telamon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! I am looking forward to putting the pieces together for Telamon too.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Jonathan, handsome cavalry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Johnathan. Your bases are always very neat and tidy and I am envious of the way you finish them.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robbie! The basing is simple and minimalist with the few scattered tufts breaking up the ground cover.

      Delete
  4. Not keen on painting cavalry, but they do look good when finished, lovely unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely painted and based.

    Maybe we will need some Gallic cavalry for our games too (Rome vs. Macedon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Gallic cavalry served in many theaters. Adding some to your armies would be useful.

      Delete
  6. Great looking cav to support the earlier foot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, I am also guilty of painting troops and then looking at what I need for the forces I had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! Our work is never done, is it? Your most recent Zouaves are splendid!

      Delete
  8. Oooh, amongst my favourite cavalry - a treat. Useful in several settings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb work here sir. These look excellent - some of your finest work. Look forward to seeing them get bloodied :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Darren! Best work? I don't know about that! I look forward to putting them into action too.

      Delete
  10. They look splendid, Jonathan. Very well equipped for battle. I confess I don't know a lot about Telamon, I gather it was one of those battles that started to consolidate Roman power in Italy. Very bloody business according to this video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=telamon+batle&view=detail&mid=8C2A57AA59C866EA6B3E8C2A57AA59C866EA6B3E&FORM=VIRE
    Cheers,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well.

      Ancient Warfare mag had a series on Telamon. It is quite informative. It can be found at:

      https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/awblog/the-battle-of-telamon-225-bc-part-1/

      https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/awblog/the-battle-of-telamon-225-bc-part-2/

      Your video is very bloody.

      Delete
  11. Nice work....just keep painting Jonathan eventually you’ll have more than enough figures. Four to a base looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! My wife thinks I reached the “more than enough” point years ago.

      Delete
  12. Nicely painted, posed and based, and convincingly real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely Cavalry!
    Your Celtic army is a nice colourful effort that will look smashing on the table once you assemble them all for a pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I peek into the storage box, nearly a dozen warbands are a colorful lot. I will get the collection out for a photo once I finish off one more warband.

      Delete
  14. Looking great! You’ll have that big battle ready for the table in no time! Looking forward to it. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Stew!

      They will be ready for battle very soon. I would enjoy getting a SYW Kunersdorf scenario ready for holiday gaming too.

      Delete
  15. Neat work as usual Jonathan. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good looking stuff. I will put in a vote for Impetus, just to see if it still stands up after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely looking unit as always,I'm looking forward to your game of impetus or TtS!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! I, too, look forward to the day when this Celtic force can be assembled for battle. Whether Impetvs or TtS! will govern play is still undecided. Maybe try both?

      Delete