Thursday, September 25, 2014

Old Glory German Paratroops

The Narvik project has certainly been on a back-burner for a long time.  No games using this collection in longer than I can remember (I could look it up) and very little painting activity.  The beginning of the year saw the addition of British mortars, AT guns, and a company of infantry.  Since then, nothing.

Well, my recent trip to the fjords of Alaska got me thinking about Norway which led to thoughts on the "Battles at the Top of the World" which led to a rekindling of interest in the project.  Perhaps this is a corollary to the Butterfly Effect?  Probably a good thing that I do not get out more!

Since German paratroops were present in the Norwegian campaign and only one company can presently muster for service, why not field a second?  Why not, indeed!

Off the painting desk are a handful of 15mm Old Glory paratroops complete with support weapons.  In a painting mishap, I lost the 81mm mortar tube during staining and the tube was replaced by a small length of coat hanger.  Not having the original tube dimension, I guessed as to suitable size.  For me, it works.

Having a number of books on the campaign, I may dig out a small action from one to recreate on the table.  In the last game using the collection, the guys were coerced into trying the rules, 1943.  I recall them not being too enamored with the system but the level of abstraction produced an enjoyable game (to me, anyway).  I thought they worked better than Battlefront but I was likely alone in that assessment.  The collection should get a dusting and given another chance on the field of battle even if only solo.   

21 comments:

  1. Very nice looking FJ's, Jonathan. One of my favorite troops. Interesting basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good. Plus the Norwegian front is a Ski Troops Opportunity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly right about Norwegians. I have a few handfuls of ski troops painted for just such a scenario.

      Delete
  3. nice looking painted figures you have here Jonathan, not to sure about the thick bases though, but I guess easy to pick up and handling of the bases/figures during game play was the intention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. These bases are the same thickness as all of the others. That is, 3mm thick Litko. I tend to stick to that for 32mm down to 6mm. The thicker base does allow easier pick up. Perhaps the base thickness is more noticeable as you decrease the figure size and stand size? Maybe the thickness is exaggerated by the camera angle?

      I certainly understand your point and appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jonathan for your explanation, and yes I was "mislead" by the camera angle photo shoot, and I here by pass on my apologies to you Sir! :o)

      Delete
    3. No need for apology, Phil! I appreciate your candor.

      Delete
  4. Very nice 15's and a good choice for a WW2 scenario. The fighting in Norway was particularly bitter, and the Norwegians fought like lions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Norwegians did fight like lions! It has always been an interesting campaign to me; often overlooked by the more "popular" WWII fronts.

      Delete
  5. These look good, that 81mm Tube looks bang on

    Thanks
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely painted figures - I do like ww2 in 15mm and i've not seen these old glory FJ's before.
    Cheers
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dannoc! The Old Glory/Command Decision range has a lot of variability in quality but these FJ are decent enough.

      Delete
  8. Nicely donem Jonathan! Narvik is pretty far off the beaten path. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, Monty! Cannot get much farther north, can you?

      Delete