The counts are in for the 2022 Painting Campaign. While the total figures painted were fewer than in 2021, the totals were not much less. 2022 total figures painted clocked in at 1,055 while 2021 saw 1,103. Seeing consistency is good.
While I did not proclaim a figure count goal for 2022 (I avoided the same pitfall in 2021 too), I expected a total of near 900 figures would be a reasonable objective. Given an expectation for a continued stream of remote gaming to keep my hobby time occupied, an average of 75 figures painted per month seemed attainable.
In the 2021 Painting Log recap see: Painting Log 2021), I set out for myself the following goals:
- Finish enough Sumerians to field two armies.
- Build a SYW French army in 18mm to complement my Prussian and Austrian armies.
- Expand the Biblical armies with additions to Hittites, Egyptians, and Babylonians.
- Expand the Samurai armies to include foot and mounted Samurai bowmen.
- Given the figure size mix from 2021, try to paint more 15/18mm figures than 25/28mm figures.
Let's see how I did!
When looking at painting production by era, Figure 1 illustrates that SYW and Biblicals did see most of the attention at the painting desk. The SYW project did see the mustering of a new French Army. I even got this army into battle more than once. The Biblicals were concentrated in the Sumerian project. On the 2021 goals, WotR and Feudal Japan projects also saw gains. No additions to the Hittites, Egyptians, or Babylonians, though. Good additions to the 30mm ECW project too. That was a surprise.
Breaking painting totals down by scale, Figure 2 shows that 15/18mm projects dominated my efforts. One of the 2022 goals listed above highlighted changing the figure mix from 25mm/28mm to 15mm/18mm. In this regard, I stuck to plan having 70% of all figures painted falling into the 15/18mm bucket. Another success!
What can I expect on the painting front in 2023? Where should I spend these efforts? Below are a few of my thoughts for the New Year:
- Continue expansion of the 18mm SYW/WAS project to include more armies. In addition to Spanish and Piedmontese, field a British/Hanoverian army.
- Build a 15mm Prussian Army to allow expansion of the Franco-Austrian War collection to the Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian Wars.
- Continue work to expand the 25mm Bibilical armies including Sumerians, Hittites, Egyptians, Assyrians, and Babylonians.
While there are other projects contending for my time at the painting desk, the list above will help to provide some focus. This exercise seemed to work well for 2022. I ticked off a number of the 2022 goals. 2023 looks set to be another year of concentrating on 15mm/18mm projects. A potential 25mm Trojan War project still lays in wait ready for me to begin. Maybe 2023 will see the start of this project?