Tuesday, July 16, 2019

1859 Bersaglieri in 18mm

With San Martino on the table and expectations for a lengthy engagement, I found one additional battalion of Sardinian Bersaglieri could be pressed into service.  Rather than paint only one, twelve figure battalion, I opted to push two battalions into the painting queue.
The two Bersaglieri battalions off the painting desk today muster out as the 7th and 8th.  With their completion, the Bersgalieri components of the Sardinian OB for the 1859 campaign are finished. 
Figures are from Lancashire Games and seem to be a little larger than other figures in this range.  Sculpting style is slightly different too.  I wonder if the Bersaglieri have a different sculptor than some of the other figures in the 15mm 19th Century, European Wars' line?  For Bersaglieri, I much prefer the figures from Mirliton.  I have several battalions of those in my Sardinian Army and they are quite good.  No matter that the Lancashire are a bit larger.  Good figures that fill a niche in the Sardinian Order of Battle.

Next off the painting desk expect to see a return to Ancient Celts.

30 comments:

  1. Another fine unit for the table. I fear the blue tide will sweep away the Austrians by pure mass alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With luck and mass, perhaps, that is possible.

      Delete
  2. I really like these Jonathan,top brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look rather dashing in those hats!

    I have some Bersaglieri... in 28mm... for World War Two... and it's all because of their headgear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, you are not alone in painting units based upon "coolness" of uniform alone. I have done it more than once!

      Delete
  4. You seem to keep finding battalions all over the place. Good luck in the upcoming battle. I’ll be rooting for you. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew, it is easy to "find" battalions in The Lead Pile. In the midst of a target rich environment, the pickings are easy. I will need some luck in the battle when facing my arch nemesis across the table.

      Delete
  5. Another pair of nice looking Sardinian units, lovely painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fine looking regiment Jonathan!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a machine Jonathan!

    Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No machine but persistent!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  8. A great unit with the hats turned up to 11!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice Jonathan. I have just found the same issue regarding style in some Carthaginians I am currently completing. Certainly not the end of the world, but mildly annoying all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Unusual figures are not the end of the world but radical differences in sculpting style and size tend to skew the aesthetics for me. These differences tend to disappear once on the gaming table though.

      Delete
  10. Lovely unit with a stylish uniform, Jonathan. I agree wholeheartedly about the differences disappearing once the gaming starts too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. I think that the Bersaglieri uniform is the best of the Italians from this period. Between them and the Austrian Jager regiments there must have been a lot of frightened chickens on the Italian peninsula trying to conceal their tail feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Bersaglieri uniform is a handsome one, for sure. Were the feathers chicken feathers? I figured something more exotic.

      Delete
  12. Late to the Dance, as I am still in Historicon Recovery m,ode, but fine additions to your Sardinian forces, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late for a comment, Peter. I’m sure you are wiped out after Historicon.

      Delete