Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Prone Markers for the SAW

US Dismounted Cavalry
One of the poses present in the Old Glory Spanish-American War skirmishing packs is a prone figure.  When I first began the SAW project using Old Glory figures, I wondered what to do with these figures.  After years of thought, I finally decided to put these prone figures to use as prone markers.  In the jungle and rough terrain of Cuba, formations would likely spend a fair amount of time going to ground especially with deadly rifle fire whizzing overhead.

Since most of the bags of figures purchased are in the advancing pose and not skirmishing, most of the regulars had no accompanying prone figure.  Knowing that Old Glory has fulfilled special requests in the past, I added my special request of a few handfuls of prone figures to a buddy's Old Glory order.  As expected, the order arrived with the bag of prone figures shown below:
Mix of SAW prone figures
Included in the bag are prone figures for Spanish in both uniforms and American infantry.  Should be enough figures to make a sufficient number of markers.  Off the painting desk are three such US dismounted cavalry markers.  Time to put some of the Spanish markers into the painting queue.

Another item included in this latest Old Glory order was the church from the pirate range.  When Jake brought up the box, I was surprised by the size of the church.  It is HUGE.  For scale, a battalion of 28mm Front Rank Portuguese are arrayed in front of the building.
The motivation for getting the church was my Peninsular War Napoleonic project.  Upon further reflection, this fine piece could see service in Cuba, Mexico, and Italy too.  I look forward to giving the church a coat of paint and making it a focal for a Peninsular War battle.  Seems like a long time since the 28mm Napoleonics last saw action on the gaming table.  Time to work them into the schedule.  With a new piece of terrain, it will be hard not to plan an action soon.

26 comments:

  1. I like the character of that church, even though large, the square format is probably quite efficient table-wise compared to elongated buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church has a lot of character as do the other building in this range. I hope it looks as good when i finish painting it.

      Delete
  2. You wasted no time knocking out those prone markers. Perhaps we need to get a SAW game into the rotation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were bare lead on Sunday afternoon. He is quick.

      Delete
    2. A new influx of lead always tempts me to put at least a token of that lot into the painting queue very soon. This time was no different.

      A SAW game would be good. I don't recall the rules we used last time but that was many years ago. I could take a refresher in Fields of Honor and host that.

      Delete
    3. Scott, not as quick as you, my friend!

      Delete
  3. The church is a very imposing structure. It's perfect for skirmish gaming.

    https://ospreypublishing.com/chosen-men

    Your colors are great for the SAW infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Old Glory church is a big model and imposing, no doubt. While it would work for skirmish, i plan to use it in games where the BMU is a battalion.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see and read about an old glory building. I’ve been tempted in the past to purchase one but held off because couldn’t really figure out its size. I wonder if the 15mm ones will be imposing for that scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the church is big and suited to skirmish gaming, I plan to use mine for battalion-level games. I think it will fit in nicely onto the battlefield. As for the 15mm OG buildings, I have not seen any of those.

      Delete
  5. Using the prone figures for markers is a great idea. As others have mentioned, it's a really neat church with a lot of character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The prone figures look great. Russ is very good about filling special orders, Ask me about Joe and the Herd of Bison some time!

    The pirate buildings are big but very atmospheric. They were ,intended fr skirmish gaming. When they debuted ? 15 years ago, there was an enormous Pirate game in the hallway of the Host at Historicon (I think run by Uncle Duke). Clusters of buildings on tables with appropriate scenic extras made various ports, the 25 mm ships were mounted on table height pedestals, and the open space was the Caribbean Sea. "Yo-ho, Yo-ho a Pyrate's life for me!" The buildings definitely recall the architecture of the "Town" in the Disney "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. Being cast in Polyurethane foam, they are quite light, which is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since you brought it up, how about telling us the story of Joe and the Herd of Bison?

      I recall seeing photos from that Historicon Pirate Game. Did you participate?

      Delete
  7. Great repurposing of the prone figures, Jonathan. I have an urge to make a Spanish church for use in a Peninsula project and for the Carlist War. But I must resist and focus on this year's projects...mind you one of those is the Spanish in thr Peninsula War.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your work on the Peninsular War Spanish. My 28mm Napoleonic project is Peninsular War as well.

      Delete
  8. Nice to see SAW figures, they look good. That's a big old church, be good for Italian wars too, I'm planning on scratch building one, I'd better get a move on!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news that the church could travel back to the Italian Renaissance! It will definitely see service in that period.

      Delete
  9. Very nicely painted markers, Jonathan. I didn't know OG did special casts. Cool of them to do so. BTW, I have the same OG church (slightly different tower), and it seems fine with 28mm - maybe in the unpainted state it looks a bit larger http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_69-jWJpf4S8/SfTflZNNEpI/AAAAAAAAAU8/ga7As_eNlbM/s1600-h/Church+front.JPG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, that is a fine church! I hope mine turns out half as good.

      As for OG special orders, they have been most accommodating when I have asked for a special request.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jonathan - It was very simple to paint - I recall black undercoat (I suppose you could use gray or dark brown too), and then successive coats of dry-brushed light grays and tans. The roof was painted an appropriate shade of red. I've used it in WW2 games too - the bell tower roof comes off and I can put in a sniper :)

      Delete