Saturday, October 22, 2016

Russian Cossacks for Suvorov and the 1799 Project

Having been away for the work week, I return home to settle into the painting chair.  The portable painting kit did not accompany me this week since I had plenty to hold my attention in the evenings.  That, and I am awaiting a new portable painting light to arrive from USA-based Joann craft store.  The light I selected was on deep discount with a 20% discount coupon thrown in for good measure.  The light was practically free.  A review will follow once I receive the lamp.

After having made no progress on the 1799 project since midsummer, a small addition to the Russian contingent musters off the painting desk.  These six Russian Cossacks are from Eureka Miniatures' SYW range of figures.  Excellent figures that are well proportioned.  Eureka's Russian Cossacks and hussars are much better sculpted (in my opinion) than the other figures in the Russian range.  These six will join another matching half-dozen painted earlier to form a Cossack pulk of four squadrons.  
With one of my 2016 objectives to get the 1799 project onto the gaming table before year end, attention needs to be drawn back to that goal.  What is needed before I can get a game on the table?  From memory, more artillery for all combatants could be pressed into useful service.  For foot, enough are present for service in a small to moderately sized battle.  My small cavalry forces should, at present, be sufficient to field horse in the numbers needed for many of the battles in either Switzerland or Northern Italy.   
Looking through histories of the two campaigns, Montebello 1800 strikes me as a worthy candidate for the initial trial.  To sweeten the pot for Montebello, my thought is to set up the battlefield of Montebello once and to tackle the two battles in 1800 and 1859 over the same ground.  That way I get both the 1799 and 1859 projects onto the gaming table with reduced fuss. I suppose, economies of scale.  Stay tuned as I work through the details.

24 comments:

  1. These Cossacks look great, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful figures and great paint job. Looking forward to how you tackle the two battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I have some work to do to get beyond the planing stage of Montebello.

      Delete
  3. Very nice Cossacks Jonathon. I like your two for one battlefield plan. Castiliogne/Solferino is a similar twofer deal. Now can you work an Austrian Succession of Italian Wars fight into the mix?
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Castiglione/Soferino is another great suggestion! I went with Montebello x2 due to the force sizes involved. Solferino would require many more French troops.

      Delete
  4. Lovely painting /figures and a great addition to your "Serf" army Jonathan!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done Cossacks, Jon.
    I think your plan for the successive battles of Montebello is molto bello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Peter! I think this will be a fun little project.

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking cossaks terribly impressive sticking to targets I was doing quite well for a year or two but now I have been distracted. Nice sculpts and great colour combinations.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting a few goals gives me some much needed focus. As you can see, I have many projects and need a reminder from time to time. Glad you like the Cossacks!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. True! To back this notion, a dozen Foundry Crimean War Cossacks are on the painting desk now.

      Delete
  8. Very impressive Cossacks, outstanding artwork- as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Cossacks look very fierce, and with more firepower capability than I would have expected.
    Obviously they are riding in summer. :)
    Your wargames planning is a model of forethought and efficiency. Scary, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are approaching Halloween so "scary" is appropriate!

      Delete