Friday, May 24, 2024

FRW French Light Infantry

Given other distractions upon my time, after last Thursday's Bassignana game, I failed to get a game onto this week's gaming docket.  Perhaps I was fatigued by the effort in hammering out Monday's battle report?  Perhaps I was too busy with domestic duties?  Whatever the reason, I could not muster the energy to even pull together a last-minute game.  That will change next week when games return to the table.

In the meantime, I have been using some of this downtime to catch-up on a little painting.  The gaming break this week actually allowed a few meaningful, early morning painting sessions at the painting desk.  Quite a variety of projects are crossing the workbench with one unit produced for one project and another unit produced for another project.   
First out of the gates are two, 13-figure battalions of FRW French light infantry.  Foot figures are Old Glory led by Eureka mounted colonels.  No flags distributed yet.  These fellas will be pressed into service for the 1799 Italy and Switzerland project.  The project has only seen one or two games, thus far.  Maybe only the Battle of Montebello?  For sure, none featuring the Russians.  One day, I may actually bring this collection to the gaming table with Russians on the table.  One can hope!
These figures have sat in the ready-to-go box with black primer for several years waiting for me to push them into the production line.  In an effort to reduce the aging in the ready-to-go box, I have been slipping a unit or two into the painting queue from time to time.  When I began painting the figures, I forgot that they were legere and began painting them as line.  It was only when I got to the breeches and over-the-calf, sculpted gaiters did I realize my mistake.  After a bit of rework, the figures were corrected and all was back on track.  I hate rework!

Anyway, I have most of the weekend to get in one or two meaningful painting sessions.  This is a luxury that is not often seen.  We will see if the reserved sessions actually pan out.  What is in work under the painting lamp?  19th Century Pathans, more Biblicals, WAS Spanish and Genoese, and Swiss crossbow.  Quite a lot of figures in a number of different periods.  Oh, and one Egyptian chariot for good measure.

While I am currently holding fast on figure purchases, this week did see some calls for restocking.  Orders to Tajima1 Miniatures for tufts and Litko for bases have been dispatched.  Also a couple of boardgames and a pair of WAS painting guides are enroute.

34 comments:

  1. Fine work on those Jon and I must admit I've always liked the Bicorne look of the FRW troops. Good to see you getting some painting time too, after all of your games recently. A nice mix of projects in the pipeline too:). All being well I will return to my game room painting and revamp this weekend, after a break due to other duties...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! It has been a pleasant switch to spend some time painting this week. I hope to see you back at your game room conversion soon.

      Delete
  2. Very nice little battalions for the FRW Jon - they look great, even without flags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look rather dashing, Jon! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did wonder at the sudden intrusion of these unsavoury revolutionary types into the painting schedule (they do so like to interrupt normal operations!)
    Like you, I once maintained reserves of primed figures and rotated projects, IIRC, it was a rolling process of 15mm SCW, 30mm SSM Imagi-Nations and 15mm ancient DBA armies. It broke down when I introduced 15mm 1898 SAW (both sides and 1/1200th naval), 15mm Italian Wars and other things into the mix (IIRC 20mm Angola and 28mm Future Wars) and led to some figures sitting primed but untouched (those 15mm SAW) and half finished armies (15mm ancient Egyptian among others). There was a hiatus due to work and / or domestic issues and when I resumed serious painting, the SCW were abandoned and I put all my efforts into 30mm Imagi-Nation SSM. I broke up the monotony by working on 1:87 Arab-Israeli.
    I do so admire those people who can concentrate on only one period and scale!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what will be hitting the painting desk next. Sometimes I use FIFO, FILO, LIFO, and LILO. These fellas have been lingering the ready-to-go box for far too long as well as some Austrians for FRW.

      15mm SAW? Is that project still in work or an orphaned project? If still active, I have a few fistfuls of unpainted Americans infantry I could send your way. Really nice figures but I went the 28mm route for that project.

      Delete
  5. A very nice unit, don't see too much 15mm FRW so it's nice to see some figures on show and a lovely looking regiment they are too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie! I reckon you are correct. I do not see much FRW gaming in 15mm either.

      Delete
    2. In fact it’s so rare that Luddites like me aren’t even sure what FRW stands for.
      French Revolutionary War?
      But units do look really nice. 😀

      Delete
    3. Good guess and correct answer, Stew!

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking light troops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely done Jonathan. Looking forward to seeing them on the gaming table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Neil! I do need to find some time to bring this collection to the gaming table.

      Delete
  8. Very nice indeed Jonathan and I agree, rework can be very deflating. I still prefer tit to rebasing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! The rework was not terrible but still it tends to gum up the whole works and is a bit distressing. I won't mention the time I dullcoated 24 French Napoleonic infantry with black primer...

      Delete
  9. Very nice brushwork...and turning line into lights, priceless. I have gone to what I like at any given time to pull from the queue. Feeds the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I turned lights into line and back into lights…I hop around a lot too but figured this fellas had waited long enough.

      Delete
  10. A productive use of the time not gaming and something different to show. I hope one day to see you clash with Russians of the period - Suvarov is a legend. They seem small battalions to me though my own battalions have shrunk in size over the years from 48 to 36 to 24 muskets [i.e. plus staff].
    While it's a great feeling to purchase something new and paint it, there is satisfaction in completing an older project that's been itting around for a while.
    I guess this relates to a rule set you plan to use. I look forward to seeing what comes out of the hat next.
    all the best to you and your readers,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen! I hope to one day show the Suvarov Russians out in battle too. For me, size of battalion is dependent upon scale of game and the BMU. For fighting entire battles with single element BMUs, a Baker's Dozen figures in a single BMU works for me. Perhaps you will change your mind having once played a game?

      I often do not know what is thrust into the painting queue next.

      Delete
  11. A fine looking addition to the FRW collection, it's always great to revisit a project that has been sidelined for others. Inspired by Messrs Andrew's and Imries game at the recent Partizan here in the UK I have pulled a unit from the 3rdC Romans stash to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! Attending a show is a great source for inspiration.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful painting as always Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice indeed Jonathan…
    I do like the more rakish uniforms of the French Light Infantry…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aly! The light infantry uniform is a handsome one.

      Delete
  14. Very nice little chaps there Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beaut looking figures, comme d'habitude Jonathan!
    Re-painting from a mistake is a real pain. What about the one where the brush slips and you get a splash of some unwanted colour over carefully painted areas of the figure?
    It's that last 5–10% of final touch-ups that gets me. In the end 'enough is enough'!
    Mind you, my image of you doubts that you have any of these problems. You just paint 'em like a pro and churn them out like a machine! :)
    Best regards as always, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James, you are really much too kind. I make mistakes and must deal with the trials of rework regularly.

      Delete