Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Three Battles; Three Days

Battle of Ucles
Photo courtesy Matt Crump

On the gaming front this week, gaming opportunities abound.  Four games are on the docket this week with games on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday.  Busy, busy week!  The first three games were all played remotely.  The game on Saturday will see a F2F activity.  Not sure if I actually will have time and the stamina to attend the Saturday game but there is hope.  Let's recap.

Sunday - Battle of Ucles, 1108

After a long hiatus on the Basic Impetvs On A Grid, Reconquista front, Matt returns with another interesting battle for us.  This time, we explore the Battle of Ucles in 1108.  Matt provided a brief battle account to set the stage.

Christian’s are outnumbered but have all the heavy knights. Historically they rashly charged in, pushed the Córdobans back but then got surrounded and where pretty much wiped out. You have two commanders Alvar who is in charge but Sancho Alfonsez who is the kings son. The Almoravids will get an extra victory point if Alfonso is killed.

Matt would command the Almoravids while I commanded the Christians. I provide a brief battle account.  While my pictorial is sourced from captured screenshots, I expect Matt will provide a more detailed and photo-centric account soon.  My Christian army is in the foreground, closest to the camera.  Off we go!

Christians lead off with an attack in the center.
All others advance.
First defender overwhelmed and retreats.
Alfonsez pursues.
The Almoravids counterattack!
Alfonsez' entourage is wiped out.
Afonsez falls in battle!
Christians continue deep attack into the Moor backfield.
Two more Almoravid units are destroyed
and the baggage/camp captured!
Two units of heavy knights mill about in the enemy camp.
Taking missile fire on the left, Christian cavalry retires. 
Christian knights charge forward.
The Christian knights cause more destruction in the center
while the two units of knights in the enemy camp struggle
 to recorder themselves to return to the fray.
Almoravids attack on the right.
Christians are driven back with loss.
Almoravids attack on the left.
Having destroyed two Christian units,
Almoravid cavalry races to the enemy camp.
The battle is close.
Can the Almoravids sack the camp
 before they lose one more unit?
No!  The Christian knights in the enemy camp
finally compose themselves and attack!
The Christians are victorious!
What appeared as a path to an easy Christian success early in the battle, the Almoravids turned the battle around and made the outcome close.  While the pursuing knights doddled in the enemy camp, the Almoravids nearly snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.  Very Close.  Excellent game and the rules worked well after we cleared cobwebs off of the QRS and our recollections.  Great fun!

Edit: Matt's battle account with close-up photos can be found here.

Monday - Battle of Solferino, Center Sector, 1859

Monday's game was a seven-player, remote contest where I hosted the Rejects in a large, nearly five-hour session.  Since the battle is still in progress with Session #2 scheduled for next Monday, no battle report yet.  Until then, a teaser showing the French Guard attacking the villages southwest of Solferino. 


Tuesday
 - War of Spanish Succession Clash - Playtesting

After little more than a one-year hiatus from Graham's development work on his WSS project, the rules and Graham's newly painted Bavarians see action on the table.  The game was a hybrid in that two players were onsite and playing F2F while Ian and I were remote commanding from afar.  I am almost certain Graham will follow Tuesday's action with a full battle account.  For now, a screenshot from the game showing my victorious British wing encircling the enemy breastworks and routing enemy cavalry.

Edit:  Like clockwork, Graham's battle report can be found here.


Whew!  Needless to say, little activity at the painting desk this week.

Finally, there are still a couple days to enter the Ten Year Blog Anniversary contest.  Details on entry are at:

44 comments:

  1. You are certainly seeing some table action this week, I just about cope with my weekly game with Dave. Splendid games so far, really like the Solferino teaser shot, looking forward to the AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of table action, this week. Three games in one week is really pushing my limit while four games tips me over the edge...

      I look forward to returning to Solferino next Monday. Can the battle be decided in one more session? We will see.

      Delete
  2. All the tables look good, but Solferino grabs centre stage, the table looks wonderful and two long sessions will no doubt bring about several highlights and swings to report.

    Did you find the 5 hours a little taxing from a host perspective? I would (though fulfilling).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm! I hope two sessions are enough to finish off th Solferino battle. It is a large action with 50+ BMUs per side. That is a lot to move, fight, and adjudicate.

      You know, the five hours spent on my feet stage managing this production whizzed by. I could not believe five hours had passed. I did not even stop for a break! I believe the players occasionally stepped away for comfort breaks when they were not on deck. It was easy! Afterwards, I felt some fatigue.

      Delete
  3. Too many games in a week? Sounds like a first world problem. . Hosting video, playing ftf and remotely. . Congrats on a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose it is a First World Problem but one I am willing to face despite the hardship.

      Delete
  4. The WSS battle report is up now. We must talk more about the Moors, as I have several boxes of Reconquista toys that haven't been out for a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I figured your report would be up quickly. My Reconquista armies have not seen the light of day in years. Perhaps once my table clears, the next MNG remote game I host can take a look at BI on a Grid with these armies?

      Delete
    2. Should be good. It's a period I have never tried to write for myself, but we have used BI.

      Delete
    3. Did you use BI with your Reconquista armies?

      Delete
    4. We have used Armati, DBA Big Battles, AMW and BI. If you search the blog for the "El Cid" label there are three games in 2019 and 2017 using BI,. all of which went well. The games look fab.

      Delete
    5. I will do some browsing through your back catalog.

      Delete
  5. Plenty of games to keep you entertained. Very interested to see how the WSS battle plays out, my favourite period

    ReplyDelete
  6. That certainly is a very busy gaming week, Jon! Great looking games and a nice variety of periods too. Hopefully you manage to make it to FtF game number four!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, busy! If I make Game #4 for the week, that will be four games, four different periods and four different scales!

      Delete
  7. Busy indeed Jon interested to see the lovely solferino battle, just for correctness the Reconquista battle was at Ucles 👍, you might have relied on my handwriting a dangerous proposition were I writing orders !

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a busy bee Jon! A lovely game with Matt but rather like Norm, Solferino certainly piqued my interest as it's my sort of game and period:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Playing BI on grid using Matt’s handsome collection and table is pure joy. The play is elegant with lots of thought required in the areas of strategy, tactics, and sometimes bluffing. Great fun!

      Delete
    2. Large battle Franco-Austrian War is my sort of game and period too!

      Delete
  9. I would be looking for a good divorce lawyer with a week like that. Great looking games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very funny.

      Actually, when participating in a remote game, it takes a comparatively smaller slice of time than F2F. In the remote game with Matt this week, I sit down to the desk with drink in hand and we get the game underway and finished in under three hours. Oftentimes, Matt and I finish in two hours. Nancy hardly misses me in two hours. Besides, with the eight-hour time difference between UK and West Coast USA, Nancy is regularly off having lunch with a friend or away shopping. But, I do see your point...

      Delete
  10. That is a lot of activity for a week. It is notable how much remote gaming allows so much more activity on the gaming front. No travelling time involved. It will no doubt be quite rewarding when you next head across to the UK and get to meet the various participants in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence, three or four games in one week is a lot of activity and I stretch myself thin with that much on the game schedule. I do not gorge on gaming like this every week. Everything in moderation is a more healthful approach. Besides, when can I find any time to paint?

      I agree that remote gaming has been a real boon for me and my gaming frequency. When hosting is rotated around several players then the workload for one individual is reduced dramatically. As you say, no travel time and I find it much easier to coordinate schedules for a remote game than for a F2F game.

      I have plenty of new friends to visit next time I venture off to the UK. They are welcome here too!

      Delete
  11. Good week, good week. Ucles was very nice to read but Solferino looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having given San Martino a good run-out with these rules and figures, I thought Solferino might grab your attention.

      Delete
  12. It’s like your own miniature convention in the comfort of your own home. Pretty cool my friend. Pretty cool. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right, Stew! I reckon it is almost comparable to a wargaming streaming service. Hmm. What would you like to try today? How about ACW in 10mm? Oh, I see it is a "Coming Attraction."

      Delete
  13. Gosh! Who's been a busy boy!
    I think that my brain would be exploding by now with all those rules in one week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A comprehensive QRS makes the task of keeping rules straight without too much confusion a little easier. I can still get rules mixed up between games but having alert players remind me of the errors is very helpful.

      Delete
  14. I’m looking forward to retirement…so I can be as busy you Jonathan…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your retirement plans! With so much going on, I wonder how I managed to hold a full time job.

      Delete
  15. Impressively busy gaming! All interesting periods too. Thanks!

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many interesting periods to game and never enough time.

      Appreciate your comment, David!

      Delete
  16. Well done on completing the three day hattrick. In three different periods too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Indeed, it is. Matt offered up an elegant battle for this recreation.

      Delete
  18. That is truly an impressive amount of gaming Jon, and has been said already, almost akin ton a convention's worth!
    I am with cousin George about the Divorce attorney, though!
    Perhaps after I retire (3 years hence now) and my wife is tired of seeing me, it might be different, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four games in one week is a lot, for sure. I cannot do that too often. Besides it is exhausting. I hosted another five hour session on Monday and I am beat.

      Peter, I think you will work forever.

      Delete