Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Another Batch of Sumerians

Work continues on painting down the Sumerian pile of lead.  Just when I see some headway gained, I place an order to restock.  When the latest restock arrives, the new additions ought to allow me to field two equally balanced armies.  One I work my way through a few of these units, it may be time for a parade followed by their initial test of battle.  Perhaps this phase of the project will be ready by time I see the first green shoots of Spring?

Anyway, off the painting table today are two, twelve figure stands of Sumerian spearmen.  All of these figures are wearing the heavy cloak without shield.  Another unit of spearmen with large shield are nearing completion.  Figures are Wargames Foundry.  

After these spearmen depart the painting desk, work shifts to SYW French in 18mm.  My work on SYW French keeps running afoul of plans.  First, I was diverted by fielding four BMUs of Samurai horse archers of fine Museum Miniatures figures for the First Azukizaka battle.  A second diversion sees two BMUs of Samurai foot archers jumping ahead in the production line.  Again, Museum Miniatures figures.  The foot archers should be mustering out later this week just in time for a Friday game.  To further muddy the waters, a second package from Museum Miniatures arrived in yesterday's post.  More Samurai figures thrown onto the Lead Pile, of course, and another unit of Samurai foot archers pushed into the painting queue.

Last week saw three remote games of Basic Impetvs refighting the First Battle of Azukizaka.  I still plan to put together at least a brief compilation summary of the three battles before I forget all of the details.  I do recall that I lost both of the battles in which I took an active command.  Decisively too.  Sigh.  Today, I take command of the French Expeditionary Force in China.  Hopefully, I can turn it around and taste victory for a change.  

31 comments:

  1. Very distinctive looking figures. I do like that the 12 figures give a good 'bristling' of spears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! With caps and cloaks, the Sumerian heavy infantrymen are distinctive, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Great looking figures, nice spear block!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Sumerians once again Jon - you have many choices in your painting queue, as always! Good luck commanding the French in China - maybe warfare in the Orient is not your forte - prior to Christmas, you seemed to have an almost endless run of wins in AWI and RCW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! Practice makes perfect. I will figure out a way to scrape out a win one day. Perhaps, I am simply a generous host?

      Delete
  4. Good looking units, your pick of colors and flocking breathe detail into the units like these.
    Elusive victories? More units are the answer, yes swamp the enemy.
    I am sure you will do well with the French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Joe!

      For today's game, I know not what I am up against...

      Delete
  5. Splendid Sumerians there Jonathan. You have a diverse array of figures to go at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! Yes, diversity is good and it keeps one from becoming bored at the painting table.

      Delete
  6. They look great Jonathan! I've always entertained the idea of doing Sumerians as I really like the Foundry Biblical range.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christopher! Foundry's Biblical range is great. You should begin a Sumerian project!

      Delete
    2. Yep I'll get right on it....right after I finish the Assyrians, Babylonians, Greeks and Trojans(again) I also wanted to do first in Biblical.....(sigh...too many projects not enough time) it's all I can do to flesh out the projects I have now, but who knows maybe I'll make it happen one day.

      Christopher

      Delete
    3. Oh and your right the foundry Biblical range is great and never been bested imho.

      Christopher

      Delete
    4. I understand your dilemma so well. So many interesting periods, so little time!

      Delete
  7. Two lovely units there Jon and I like the subtle colours of the cloaks. As others have said, they do make for a nice 'porcupine' of spears when viewed from the front.

    I always see winning as a bonus, with the aim to have fun (of course) and a good scenario to play. One advantage of solo games is that I can always claim to be on the winning side;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve!

      Enjoying an interesting and challenging game is much more important than a victory. With solo gaming, a victory is always within reach!

      Delete
  8. More lovely spears. Definitely going to look good en masse on the table

    Looking forward to more reports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a large box full now with more in work. Once I finish the next three battle carts, I think a parade is in order.

      Delete
  9. These looks terrific and will complement the rest of your Sumerians beautifully. I'll also be looking forward to your next batch of Museum Miniatures with keen interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence!

      The Museum Miniatures' Samurai foot archers are in the basing process now. Will not be long...

      Delete
  10. Nice looking and impressive Sumerians!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good looking couple of units. The spears look quite fearsome front on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice looking spear block. I’m sure you one at the point of having 2 balanced armies in no time. Then you’ll start coming up with all sorts of nifty scenarios to unbalance them or the game would be boring. We miniature wargamers are a funny breed. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Handsome troops, Jon.
    Is it called "a Summary of Sumerians" when they are seen wen masse?

    ReplyDelete