Saturday, January 30, 2021

French Artillery for the 1799 Project

A few more additions to the 1799 project roll off the workbench before painting attention is diverted to another project.  Seems like January saw more than its fair share of 18mm painting for the 1799 project.  I am sure the Rivoli battle raging across my gaming table was a motivating factor for this concentration of effort.  Time to paint something a little larger, I think. 
Off the painting desk today are three batteries of French artillery.  The guns and crews are Old Glory figures from 19th Century Miniatures.  To my eye, these are good, solid sculpts which I find easier to paint than AB.  More Austrian and French infantry are in the painting queue, but for now, they must wait.  Up next, the workbench sees a return to the Biblical project with a variety of figures working through the production line.  Probably the return to painting Biblicals was helped by a couple of orders arriving in-house from Newline Designs in this month. 

On the gaming front, the weekly remote game saw a repeat of last week's SCW Three Bridges scenario.  We had two new players added to make a six player game with the original four taking up the same commands from the week prior.  The result was the same in that the Nationalists claimed a victory.  This time, the margin of victory produced a significant victory for Franco.  Also in a repeat of last week's game, one of my Nationalist battalions routed off the table at the fist hint of enemy bombers.  Sigh.  A very enjoyable game with a handsome set up by Graham.  For a battle report of this action, please visit, New Camera, Old Problem at Graham's blog.
SCW Three Bridges battle

46 comments:

  1. Nice work on the artillery, and more gaming which is good. Catch up soon 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice additions to your artillery park Jonathan and good to see you still getting in remote games:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Steve! Remote gaming still seems to be in full swing. Maintaining at least one game per week keeps me active.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done and nice sculpts. I have not handled AB 18’s and so was interested in your comment, but I do have some of their 20mm WWII and am left wondering why they get so much reverence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! While beautiful sculpts, I find AB Napoleonics a bit fiddly for my old eyes. They take me longer to paint than other manufacturers' 18mm figures.

      Delete
  4. I think these would look just great posted in the Osteria Gorge just now, Jon.
    Nah, you don't need to check my pockets on the way out...
    (whistles casually)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guns would look good on the battlefield but there are already more French guns than can be gainfully employed in the gorge.

      Delete
  5. Jonathan, post reminds me of a quote by Patton - if you dont have enough artillery - quit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I already have a lot of French artillery for the FRW period and even more for the later Napoleonic periods. Patton may have thought I had enough!

      Delete
  6. Somehow cheap and easy yet effective seems appropriate for French Republican armies. Anyway they look good!


    ReplyDelete
  7. I just played against those gunners all day! SUperb gunners and artillery Jonathan...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking revolutionary guns! Good to hear your still gaming too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! It is very good to be able to continue gaming albeit remotely.

      Delete
  9. Very nice John, and I wondered if the ongoing battle of Rivoli had provided an additional spur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, having Rivoli out on the table has provided painting inspiration.

      Delete
  10. Another lovely bunch of figures Jonathan. The only 15mm OG figures I have are Command Decision..both ultra modern and WWII. They are pretty good too in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! I have many Command Decision figures too but I think, in general, the later 15mm Old Glory figures are better sculpted than the CD figures. Still, I have many of these in my WWII collection and think they look great on the table.

      Delete
  11. Great looking French artillery, Jonathan. Love the look of the early uniform - long coat tails and big bicornes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fine looking set of artillery Jonathan.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice job on the artillery! I like the contrast of the blue, white, and red. 😀. Though I would agree that if you have enough guns to cover the largest scenario you prefer then Patton would probably be satisfied. And so should you. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew! I probably should be satisfied with the quantity of French artillery but I still a number of guns to paint.

      Delete
  14. The artillery is looking very well. I ask myself if it is not too dangerous to be so near to the gun itself as the 2 figures in the front are. But we have to live with the limitations of space on the bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrè!
      As for basing and spacing, remember that ground scale is about 100 yards per inch. So there is plenty of room to dodge the gun recoil.

      Delete
  15. Very nice, Jonathan, some great handiwork with the brush and the camera. I love the brightness you’re always able to achieve.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those artillery look excellent Jonathan; up to your usual standard, naturally!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to see these early artilery Jonathan, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete