While the year just passed witnessed a steady stream of units parading across the painting desk and marching off into their storage boxes, a few items stand out during the previous twelve months. To name a few of my favorites:
French & Indian War Solo Relay Campaign - with the cooperation and dedication of Peter at Grid Based Wargaming, a SYW campaign raged over five months as I took on the operational role of administering the campaign via the boardgame, Montcalm & Wolfe while Peter resolved each action on his gaming table. That was great fun.
Seven Years War/War of Austrian Succession Gaming - the battle of Mollwitz saw action on the gaming table twice (or was it three times?) and the battle of Zorndorf once. More battles of Zorndorf are expected in the future. I watched Jake's (Dartfrog's Adventures in 6mm) Russian SYW project begin and end with the result being the mustering of the Russian OOB for Zorndorf. The guys have seemingly accepted Honours of War as a satisfactory set of SYW rules.
ACW Gaming in 10mm - I tried my hand at scenario design using Norm's (Battlefields and Warriors) ACW rules, Two Flags - One Nation for the action at Fox's Gap. Played that scenario several times; some solo and a few FtF. Plans for getting TF-ON back out onto the gaming table before year-end is anticipated.
To The Strongest - Finally got a chance to give To the Strongest rules a try on the gaming table at Chaeronea. Although I went down in defeat in the first playing, I am impressed by the simplicity and nuance of the game. I look forward to many more repeats of this one.
Napoleonics Gaming - Returned to the Peninsula to fight the action at Foz d'Arouce multiple times in 28mm. Great to get this collection out onto the gaming table after so long in storage.
Of course, a smattering of travelogues occasionally popped up with many more in the bin to share in the future.
Besides reaching a milestone of six years blogging, The Palouse Wargaming Journal approaches 1,000 posts. Perhaps by Christmas that milestone will be reached?
As I mentioned in last year's anniversary commemoration,
Besides curating a large amount of information on my hobby activities, the most rewarding benefit gained is the introduction to a number of like-minded individuals. Friendships gained through these communications are important and appreciated.this reflective summarization has not wavered.
To show my appreciation and gratitude to those who stop by for an occasional visit or regular readers who not only take the time for a visit but also to compose a reply, I offer a drawing for a gift card or three.
The Rules for Contest Entry:
There are two criteria for participating in the drawing (both must be satisfied):
- Publicly follow the blog by clicking on the "Follow" button (if you have not already done so).
- Leave a comment to this post declaring your wish be entered into the drawing.
- Top Commenter Bonus: To reward the Top Commenters and to encourage others toward more frequent contributions, the Top 10 will receive additional weightings to their entries. For the verbose Top 10, to your singular entry, you will receive additional entries equal to the inverse order of your ranking. That is, Mark Strachan gets ten more entries while Stew receives one additional entry. Rankings will be taken at time of contest closure.
- Publicize the Contest: If a contestant is, perhaps, willing to reduce the probability of winning by prompting others to join in, publicize this Give-Away on your blog. Put a link back to your blog in the comments for verification. In exchange for possibly diluting your change of winning, you get five extra entries.
- Favorite Post in Year 6: For an extra five entries, identify one of your favorite postings in the past year and why.
If your winning entry is pulled from the Random Sampling (without replacement) hat, the winner will receive an electronic gift card to the wargaming vendor of choice. It is the winner's choice but the vendor must offer the purchase and delivery of an electronic gift card. Amazon.com is an example of a book vendor fitting this criteria as are Eureka Miniatures, Brigade Games, and Newline Designs. There are many others. If the winner can find a vendor offering this capability, gift card will be purchased and voucher sent on via email.
1 x USD $50.00 and 2 x USD $25.00 Gift Cards will be awarded.
Contest will close 22SEP2018.