Friday, August 1, 2014

Sardinian Limbers for 1859

Yes, painting limbers and team are a necessary evil.  

Painting these three limbers and teams, somehow, did not seem so bad!

Mustering out from the painting desk are three Sardinian limbers/teams from Freikorps 15s for the 1859 Risorgimento project.  A number of these models have been fielded in the past so no surprises with these fine models.  With these three models added to the project, eight Sardinian limbers can now see service on the table top.

What motivated the production of more limbers?  Well, Quick Reaction Force recently held a 20% discount offer and I figured this was a good time to restock!  My plan was to deplete existing limber supplies before the new order arrived.  Well, I made it!  I finished these models on the 29th and the Freikorps 15s order arrived on the 30th.  Just in time inventory management.
  
As seen from the photo below, the restock consisted mainly of limbers and teams for all three combatants.  Both the French and Sardinian limbers came with six horse teams but the Austrians arrived with only four horse teams.  In the past, the Austrians contained six horse teams as well.  Was this an oversight?  In the catalog, AUS40 is described as having four horse teams but the accompanying photo shows six horse teams.  Confusing.  I'll send a note off to QRF for clarification.

Now, with French limbers now in-house, I should focus on painting some French!
  

18 comments:

  1. The limber teams look great and always add that extra realism on the table top during a game... I think it was an oversight regarding to the Austrian Limber horses, should 6 and not 4... worth investigating with the supplier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil and agree completely. Besides, the artillery train took up a lot of real estate on the battlefield and should be represented.

      I sent QRF an email. I await a response...

      Delete
  2. I really like limbers and yours look great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! I like limbers on the table too but I do not like painting them!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! Someday I'd like to paint up Sardinians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric! What is holding you back?

      Delete
    2. Other projects in the queue and I need to buy the figures. For now, I'll just enjoy your Sardinians.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely executed - a very much overlooked period and manufacturer. I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Matt and thank you!

      True. You don't see the Risorgimento on the gaming table frequently. If you want to see my project progress thus far, click on the "15mm Risorgimento 1859" Labels. There is also a battlefield walk of San Martino too.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see the interest in the "Risorgimento" in the world of wargaming.
    Beautiful creation, really good.
    Hi!
    Simmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simmy!
      Thank you! The 1859 conflict, to me, is fascinating. Short and sweet too.

      Delete
  6. Jon, you are a beter man than I with regard to Limbgers - if I have one or two per major power for my Napoleonic forces, that's as far as I go! :-)

    I also dislike 6 horse teams due their extreme footprint, weight, and cost!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I know what you mean. I may grumble a bit about painting them but I do field limbers for many of the horse and musket periods I game. Six figure horse teams are big but not so bad in 15mm but 28mm? No thanks.

      Delete
  7. Limbers look like so much work, so many horses and no action. They look terrific, you have a mighty will power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tough to stir up the motivation to paint non-combatants, isn't it? To me, the results are worth it in the end.

      Delete
  8. Impressive output and quality as always, Jonathan. You're an inspiration. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete