Monday, December 21, 2020

One More Celtic Chariot

The last stand of Newline Designs' Celtic chariots rolls off the painting desk.  Last stand until Newline Designs offers up its January sale, that is.  This stand brings the total complement of chariots to five or maybe six.  My recordkeeping is a bit suspect because I thought I fielded two BTD chariots and four Newline chariots.  Perhaps there was only one BTD chariot?  I need to pull figures from their boxes and make a double check.

Rather than fielding another chariot for the Celts, I really should be finishing off the Hittite 20 in 2020 project.  At last count, 19 units have been completed this year with one more to reach the goal.  Another Hittite chariot was planned and while I opted to field a chariot, a momentary lapse pushed a Celtic cart into the painting queue.  A final piece for the 2020 goal is in work in the form of a Newline Design Hittite chariot.  The Hittite chariot and many more packs were picked up during Newline's summer anniversary sale.  Speaking of the Newline's sales, another is upcoming in January.  I am making a list and checking it twice.  While I still have many of the Hittites picked up in the anniversary sale remaining in bags and unpainted, there is always plenty of interest to consider.  One possibility is a new project in 2021.  Maybe I will commit to a 21 in 2021 goal for this new interest?  
The painting table has not seen much activity this past week.  Remote gaming as well as compiling battle reports have taken much of my hobby time.  Hard to believe that I managed four remote gaming sessions in the last eight days.  Unbelievable, really.  What will be especially hard to believe is if I resist starting a new project in one of these recently gamed periods.

Plans during the holidays include working on the next Great Wargaming Survey 2020 analysis; a battle report on the last of the three-game, AWI Rebels and Patriots, mini-campaign encounters to get 'Old Molly' to safety; my command trials as Marshall de Saxe at the head of the French army at the Battle of Rocoux; my thoughts on wargaming books that captured my imagination and ignited my life-long fascination with wargaming; and a photo tour of my military history and wargaming library.  Now, Wargaming reflections may be only a first crack at this topic with a focus on the books or publications that ignited the passion.  Other follow-ups may include those books most impactful on my wargaming adventure and my Top 10 wargaming books.  Oh, expect some more painted units to cross over to the Painted side of the ledger before year-end too.  With luck, some of these might actually be realized before 2020 rolls off the calendar.    

51 comments:

  1. Another cracking unit Jonathan and plenty of stuff in the offing to whet the appetite:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! Hopefully, some of the upcoming posts will satisfy your appetite.

      Delete
  2. Nicely done, the ‘driver’ has a sort of heroic pose, that in his elevated position allows everything else on the base to serve him - nice.

    A reflective time of year for many gamers and perhaps most bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! The driver is shown in some photos as being mounted upon the horses back. That seemed too unwieldy for me so I put him balancing upon the shaft.

      Reflective time, for sure, but I figured I would wade into the discussion on favorite and influential wargaming books that others have started.

      Delete
  3. Outstanding work on this last (for now!) chariot Jonathan. I like the sound of your upcoming posts and look forward to reading your GWS analysis and seeing which books you list etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Keith! "For now" is the key operative in most of my project planning. The next GWS installment will branch off onto a new topic that (hopefully) you will find of interest.

      Delete
  4. About the only thing that would make this look better, would be for it to be a Hittite chariot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plenty on the cards then Jonathan, I'll look forward with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much to ponder, for sure. Very good to have you along!

      Delete
  6. Great paint job and clear presentation. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrè! Did you notice that Rocoux is on my docket of tasks to tackle?

      Delete
    2. No. But I will be very much obliged.

      Delete
  7. Great looking chariot and runners, Jonathan. The chariot rider's pose ooks similar to the Warlord Games kit I have (yet to be painted)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean! Well, when you get to yours, mine will look less great...

      Delete
  8. Lovely work Jonathan. I did a double-take reading the title of this post as I am currently in the process of completing one more (15mm) Celtic chariot myself, which I found a couple of weeks ago while looking for something I had dropped behind my painting table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! You misplaced a pack of several chariots behind your painting table? Must have been a relief to rediscover these wayward Celts.

      Delete
  9. Splendid Jonathan...
    Sounding like a chariot-alcoholic there... just one more...honest 😁

    All the best and have a Safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year... Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aly! You make painting figures sound like some sordid addiction. Surely, you did not mean that?

      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
  10. A good looking chariot and supporting figures, and few ideas there for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! Always new ideas for the new year often include a new army too!

      Delete
  11. Great looking unit Jon.

    I’m looking forward to the conclusion of Molly’s tale. And the book post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you want to read about Old Molly Part 3 from the British perspective, Matt has his version of the affair on his blog.

      https://wargamesinthedungeon.blogspot.com/2020/12/awi-campaign-old-molly-part-3.html

      Delete
  12. Another lovely chariot Jonathan and lots to keep you busy over the holiday. Now I’m off to find those grenadiers !😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Matt! Find those grenadiers and we can design another round of campaigning with your beautiful troops and terrain. May need more militia too...

      Delete
  13. An excellent end of year, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great Jonathan, especially with the warriors running alongside. Chariots and elephants, that's what ancients are all about!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, James! The warriors on the base allow me to field only one chariot per base rather than two. With this trick, I can double my number of chariots.

      Delete
  15. A fine example of why to collect Celts Jonathan!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another impressive chariot from your incredible desk. And yes, four games in eight days is indeed impressive! As for that 20th Hittite unit, you’re still in time to churn it out as well.

    My very best Christmas wishes to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike! Yes, still time remains to field one more Hittite. I think I will make it.

      Merry Christmas to you and your family too!

      Delete
  17. Ahh, one chariot is as good as another. I don’t know how anyone would be able to tell the difference anyway, but then again I am one of those people who can’t recognize the makes of cars; I can’t tell the difference between a Honda or a Toyota or a Nissan and etc 😀

    Sounds like you have a lot of cool posts to do over the holidays. Looking forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew, if you game the periods, you would be able to identify the differences immediately. If you can discern differences between British flank coys from center coys, chariots are easy.

      Hope some of these planned posts make it!

      Delete
  18. Lovely looking chariot! Another Hittite one would be good too,I look forward to your book posts and of course your first war of the Roses post in due course, lets give it a couple of weeks?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you like the chariot! Hittite chariot off the table before year-end, I think. I have an Egyptian one in work too. so many chariots, so little time!

      I find myself in a serious quandary regarding WotR. What scale to choose? That decision may take a year or more...suggestions?

      Delete
    2. All the way with 28mm! It's the best scale because the armies aren't that big,plus it's the only scale I do and I want to see you do it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Both valid reasons, Iain! How the are Old Glory 25s? Good enough?

      Delete
    4. From what I've seen of the old Glory 25s I'd say yes, they're not as competitively priced over here, the cavalry works out about the same as Perry metal figures which are a bit better, obviously it's well catered for in plastic but I fearcthat would be a step too far, unless you did it with your grandson!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    5. Old Glory figures here are pretty cheap with the Army Card. With that discount, foot are about $0.75 and horse about $2.25 each.

      Delete
  19. A really nice Celtic chariot there, Jon!
    So great stuffin store for year end as well.
    The Old Glory Infantry are probably fine for WotR, but for the cavalry I'd use another manufacturer. I have a fair amount of the OG WotR cavalry (to use mostly for other armies of the same era, and I wouldn't particularly recommend them; not some of their better sculpts, although that may in part be because they're mostly just head to to armor on unadorned horses. . On the other hand, you really need very little cavalry for the WotR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! I appreciate your input on Old Glory. Perhaps Foundry or Perry will be the route I go?

      Delete