Sunday, June 25, 2017

Cycling the Palouse - Beat the Heat

With only a few days into summer on the Palouse, temperatures are expected to heat up today.  A forecasted Sunday high temperature in the mid 90s F means that my road work out on the bike ought to be put into the legs early in the day.  That is exactly what I did.
With early morning temperatures in the low 70s F, I struck out on the bike to put in twenty-five miles out on the Palouse. Today's ride would take me south of town to the site of the severe fire last summer (see Wildfire).  Along the way, rapeseed could be seen in full bloom with its bright yellow blossoms.  Contrasted with the freshly mown hay, the rolling green hills, and the clear blue sky, the bright flowers of canola make a pleasing sight.
Along the route to the hills where the fire stormed through last summer, I passed some road maintenance.  Because of loose gravel, motorcycles are given warning to use extreme caution.  I guess (human-powered) bike lives don't matter...
Back to the object of this morning's venture.  That is, to check on the regrowth of the area ravaged by fire.  There has been progress in cleaning up the debris from the fire with select logging with skid trails criss-crossing the hillsides.
One benefit of the fire and clean up is that, now, the long switchback up the hill is visible before the rider is upon the ramp.  Is that a good thing?
As I near the top of the climb, the damage is still very much in evidence although the ground covering is returning.



The four photos above were snapped automatically by the GoPro camera while descending at about 35mph.  Cool!

All-in-all, a very pleasant way to spend some time out on the bike this morning before the day heats up.  Now, to relax for an hour session at the painting desk.  Sounds good, yes?

14 comments:

  1. Nice pics, Jon. Are there any plans to remove the fire-scorched trees or will Nature take precedence?

    A session at the painting table is Highly Recommended for relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, there has been some logging of the scorched trees on the lower elevations but as you see in one of the photos, many of the trees remain. I do not know if these will be left or eventually removed.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great place to cycle. Great weather - though being used where UK weather, I'd need about 10 bottles of water with me going out :)
    Hydration on the bike is always one to watch for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy cycling when it is a bit warm and have been known to go out in 100F heat (although rarely). Here, it is dry heat but staying hydrated is very important.

      As you say, one does get acclimated to a particular weather pattern. Cycling in 75-85 F is ideal for me.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. I only just realised that Palouse refers to a region and not a town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While there is a small town in the region named, "Palouse," I am referring to the region itself.

      Did you know the American breed of horse, Appaloosa, developed by the Nez Perce, was named
      for this region?

      Delete
  4. Looks fantastic Jonathan, I feel trapped in London when I see landscapes like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of wide open spaces out in the Western USA!

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking countryside Jonathan. Very jealous of your warm temeratures...we were at 2 deg C when I left for work at 5:45 this morning, with the potential to be as cold or colder tomorrow...still cold mornings like that in Auckland mean a fine sunny day, so I can't really complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, I am always jealous of your summer beachside excursions when I am freezing up here during the cold, snowy, and dark Pacific Northwest winters.

      Delete
  6. Looks like another great ride. I have been doing the Palouse to the Pines trail fairly regularly as I find the drop into Troy is a little cooler with the shade. All in all, the weather has been nice to us, with only a few sunny days passing the 85 degree mark. Mason is finally riding with me now, so we will be making a foray up to the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene's in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great time of year to get out on the bike. Can Mason keep up with dad? Trail of the CDAs is a terrific ride; one we should put on our schedules one day.

      Delete