While work has begun on a Sumerian project inspired by Graham Evan's To Ur is Human rules (see my First Impressions here), many questions remain unclear as I dive into a new, and unfamiliar period.
Imagine my relief when an advert for the above book recently popped into my Inbox. This looks promising! Well, little surprise that I quickly ordered a copy of this Soldiershop book from Amazon. Being available in Kindle format, I received near instant gratification after having pressed the "Buy" button.
The author, Chris Flaherty, has produced a very interesting primer on the period.
The book is divided into the following thirteen chapters:
- Chapter 1: Selecting Soldiers
- Chapter 2: Role, Organization, and Maneuver of Armies
- Chapter 3: Battle
- Chapter 4: Kings and Military Leaders
- Chapter 5: Priests and God Idols
- Chapter 6: Hunters and Herder-Warriors
- Chapter 7: Shield-Bearers and Spearmen
- Chapter 8: Storage Pots, Water and Land Transport
- Chapter 9: Fortifications and Siege Craft
- Chapter 10: The Sumerian War Cart
- Chapter 11: War Cart's Battle Use
- Chapter 12: King Sargon's Standing Army
- Chapter 13: Amorite, Elamite, and Lullabi Warriors
A quick reading of this 218 page book has clarified a number of questions I had and given me as many questions to ponder. Some of these chapters are directly applicable to wargamers whether painting and organizing armies or gaming. I will be re-examining Graham's wargame rules in a new light.
Very useful addition to a wargamer's library on an often overlooked period.