Thursday, July 6, 2017

Assyrian Cavalry #1

With "#1" in the subject header, a good guess would be that a '#2" will follow at some point.  That is exactly right!  For now, here is the first of two cavalry units to depart the painting desk.
Off the painting desk today is a four figure stand of Assyrian cavalry with bow for the Biblical project.  Figures are 25mm Wargames Foundry and continue the medium blue tunic and kilt motif of the earlier mustered infantry.
Like their foot slogging brethren, these Foundry horsemen are excellent sculpts.  This really is a fantastic range of figures but I have stated that before.  Figures are based for Impetvs.

Having not purchased any figures since February (probably a record for me!), I have begun slowly dabbling back into the buy-side of the hobby.  In recent BTD sales, I picked up a handful of Egyptian archers and in the July 4th sale, I ordered a few BTD Assyrian foot to see "what is what" since no photos of these figures are posted online. 

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking cavalry Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Assyrian horse archers Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, as always Jon!

    What paint are you using for their helmets? Most of my silvery paints end up looking a bit too shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! For the helmets I used silver but sometimes use a metallic gun metal. Applying Minwax over the top of the silver helmet dulls it a bit. Then a coat of Dullcote flattens the shine even more.

      Delete
  4. Superb brushwork, Jonathan! You have so many great projects going all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty! Yes, so many projects, so little time.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Rod. I hit the wrong button and deleted your supportive comment of "fantastic cavalry." I need to use more care when working from the iPad.

      Delete
  6. Great looking unit Jonathan, and such restraint...no puchases since February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, such restraint on figure purchases. If you saw the size of The Lead Pile, you would understand that some restraint is needed; if only temporary.

      Delete
  7. Lovely sculpts and lovely clean paint finish, looking forward to 2#!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice unit, I keep it as a model for my assyrian army (but so many other armies to complete first...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! Glad you like it! Now, I await your Assyrian Army.

      Delete