Thursday, September 3, 2026

A Few More Moors

As outside temperatures begin to cool, activity at the painting desk is heating up again following my usual mid-summer lull.  Cooler weather means that I return from cycling less fatigued and more ready to concentrate.  The change in weather is only part of the reason for the renewed attention.  With fewer games played in August, just five by my count or an average of one per week, there has been more time and energy to devote to painting.  Recently, I have actually looked forward to meaningful painting sessions.  Although the monthly game totals are a little below par, the break from scenario design and development, as well as game preparation and play, has allowed for a modest rejuvenation at the painting desk.  Several units are now moving through the production line, including some unit types that have never appeared on the blog before.
Next out of the gates are two units for the 28mm Reconquista project.  This time, a twelve-figure body of Arab spearmen is joined by a four-figure stand of Arab crossbowmen.  These Muslims unite with the body of spearmen mustered out back in August (see Back to the Painting Desk).  Figures are from Black Tree Design.  The cupboard is getting quite bare of BTD figures for this period with the exception of miscellaneous command and enough cavalry for several bodies of horsemen.  Nice figures that paint up well.  Too bad I have abandoned acquiring more.
The guns remain silent at Salem Church.  Hopefully, the table will see some action before the game with the Rejects in two weeks.  If no group game can be arranged before then, I may at least play through a few solo turns to see how the rules and scenario work together before they are stress-tested by a bunch of Rejects.
On the art-and-armor front, the Spokane Museum of Art and Culture is hosting an exhibit from the Stibbert Museum in Florence, Italy.  Nancy and I visited the exhibit a few weeks ago and found a fascinating selection of arms and armor.  OK, maybe I found the exhibit more of interest, but she enjoyed it too.  Reenactors were also on hand to demonstrate and explain the craftsmanship and practical functions of these remarkable pieces of art and warfare.
Edit 04 SEP: Besides long delays between posting and appearing in blogroll (this post experienced an 8-hour delay), now attempts at replying to comments are currently failing.  Well, not exactly failing but when submitting a comment, the reply seems stuck in "Publishing" indefinitely.  Do you experience the same?  I have tried different browsers, same result.  Searching Blogger Community Notes, this is a known issue.  Let's hope Google gets this issue worked through satisfactorily soon.  Hold those thoughts until commenting resumes.  Please be patient and try again later.  

9 comments:

  1. Some months ago I started to love all types of late 16th century armor. Very nice photo. It's very difficult to take good pictures in such rooms (as you could see on our blog the armor from Amsterdam).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, André. The lighting in museums make photography challenging. Doubly so when the objects are behind glass. This is only one of many photos snapped during the visit. The craftsmanship is exquisite. I will share more later.

      Delete
  2. A very neat looking unit there Jonathan. The armour looks very ornate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! The exhibit had a couple of morions whose engravings were unbelievable.

      Delete
  3. If the painting muse strikes, it is enjoyable; without it a chore.
    Judging by the nice result on the BTD, the muse is with you.
    I've had experience of both recently; a large unit of Donnington Germans that took forever to finish and today a smaller number of FK15 Germans that were more enjoyable to paint.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! August was a good month at the painting desk. Much better than either June or July. Right now, I am enjoying painting. I think the reduction in gaming has helped. Some units are easier to paint than others. I have some WotR figures that I had a hard time getting started. I worked through that roadblock eventually.

      Delete
  4. Great looking Arabs Jonathan. Doing your best to hold off the Reconquista 😁

    Great that your museum can arrange such as exhibit.
    For more information about fashions in armour I can recommend youtuber @lorica-clothing and her video Dressed to kill or Fashion in Armor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc0C01cWB2s
    I know you have said you don't watch YouTube but I have found it quite interesting and she brings a very different viewpoint but obviously is very informed on the subject. (at least Nancy might be amused by it 😁)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the Arabs Jon, they look great. As said before many times it is a real shame about BTD. Nice photo of the armour, very ornate, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Moors look great, one of the better BTD ranges

    ReplyDelete