Sunday, October 22, 2023

Cannae, Again?

Yes!  In fact we got in four battles of Cannae in a gaming session on Saturday.

In an encore presentation of Commands & Colors Ancients in miniature (see Four Battles at Cannae), Scott invited Kevin and I to a day of gaming in Coeur d'Alene.  On deck were more battles of Cannae.  In September, we managed to get in four games in about five hours.  Yesterday's session saw another four battles played in under five hours including a break for lunch at a local burger joint.   
Commands & Colors: Ancients' Cannae
After a lengthy pre-battle chat, we dived into action.
The Table
In Game #1, I (Carthage) faced Kevin's Romans.  After an aggressive Roman start that saw the Roman battle line advance to engage, Rome's attacks did more damage to themselves than to the enemy.  Once Carthage got its heavy infantry on the left into action, Rome crumbled.  Carthage wins 7-3. 
Rome pushes the battle line forward...
only to meet defeat.
Game #2 saw Kevin and Scott go at it.  Scott commands the Carthaginians while Kevin sticks with commanding the Roman Army.  
Scott and Kevin ready for battle.
As seen in previous Cannae games, Scott relies upon Carthaginian missile fire to soften up the Romans before attacking.  Today was no different. Despite suffering from missile fire, Rome advances.  Once Roman ranks were depleted, Carthage strikes.  Carthage wins 7-5.   
Like Babe Ruth,
Scott points to where the missile fire will fall. 
Game #3 saw me back at the table.  I faced Scott as he commanded the Roman Army.  In a closely contested match, my Carthaginians fall to Scott's Romans 7-6 as he ripped open the Carthaginian center in a pair of crippling cavalry charges.
Overrun by Roman medium cavalry.
In the last battle of the day, I remained at the table still in command of the Carthaginians.  Kevin sat back down to command the Romans.
Kevin sits behind the Roman Army.
In a battle that ebbed and flowed throughout with neither able to gain the upper hand, my Carthaginians finally fell 7-6 in the closest match of the day.  The highlight of the battle (for me!) was a devastating Carthaginian cavalry attack against the Roman Right.  when the dust cleared, three Roman units were dead on the field.  Unfortunately, those successes were short lived.  Carthage lost both cavalry units in attacks on the following turn.    
Carthaginian ranks are thinning.
At the end of the day, Carthage won two battles and Rome won two battles.
For the players, individual scores were:
Scott 2-0
Kevin 1-2
Jon    1-2
Have I mentioned that Scott is a very good player?  At least I managed to win one game this time!

As always, great fun, great food, great company, and beautiful armies.  I do have indigestion though.  The burgers and fries were quite greasy...but delicious. 

42 comments:

  1. My club plays Command and Colours a lot but only the boardgame version. Seeing your figures out and about gives me inspiration, though I think I'll work up gradually rather than attempt 4 Cannae refights in 1 day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCA is a great game. Played with figures, it is even better. We can usually get through a Cannae-sized CCA battle in about an hour.

      Delete
  2. Quality gaming, visually lovely and the company of like minded friends, added to that, play seems nicely balanced between the two forces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking game with beautifully painted figures, Jonathan. I've only played C&C once, many years ago, and it was with figures - Romans vs. Celts, IIRC. I was still new to wargaming, so can't remember much. That said, a lot of local gamers do like the game. One of my buddies has practically every set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look of the game figures are all Scott's handiwork. CC is really a terrific game.

      Delete
  4. A fantastic day to get 4 games in.Games looked balanced with 2 victories to each side and every player picked up at least 1 victory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was an enjoyable day out yielding balanced results. Kevin and I need to work out a solution to beating Scott.

      Delete
  5. A quartet of gaming goodness going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fun way to spend an afternoon, like a mini convention. Command and Colors is a perfect choice for this with quick games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CCA is the perfect choice, indeed, if the goal is to get in a number of games in one sitting. Very fun, too, with each game producing much tension and drama. too.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a great way to spend a Saturday Jon. Good company, good games and good food. Those models look great too. It’s not helping me resist the temptation to splash out on a couple of Mr Pendraken’s Punic Wars armies. In fact I Cannae take it much longer.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, this was a great way to spend a Saturday. Figures are mostly Old Glory and Scott gets the most out of sculpts. Go for a new project!

      Delete
  8. Always good to see some CCA action with figures, four games of Cannae in five hours is very good going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that getting figures out on the table for CCA is time well-spent. The five hours included half-hour of pre-game banter and about an hour break for lunch. I guess four games played in less than four hours.

      Delete
  9. An excellent quartet of games Jon - I have played CnC a few times (with figures) but the Napoleonic/War of 1812 era, and its certainly fun. I do recall Julian and I played Fuentes de Onoro (I think) twice in one evening - I wone with the Brits then we changed over and I wone with the French too - so obviously, I quite enjoyed it!
    The system has some limitations in my opinion but if you accept them, its certainly a fun game and I do quite like the combat dice mechanics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness knows how I managed to spell "won" incorrectly TWICE above.... maybe it was Blogger that did it?!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Keith!

      Now, you really cannot posit that there are limitations within the game system without explaining what these limitations are. Can you?

      Delete
    3. I would lean toward putting the typo upon auto correct but "wone" is not a variation to which I am familiar.

      Delete
    4. I think I have mentioned my reservations about CnC previously, but happy to do so again, Jon. Really, its the reliance on getting the correct cards dealt to you that I find a bit restrictive. As A game, its fine, both sides are at equal risk of having their best laid plans scuppered by not getting the right cards - but that's what I see as the limitations of the system - a player could be a tactical genius - but with the wrong movement cards all night, his options would be severely restricted and likely prevent him being able to prosecute the battle the way he would like to.

      Delete
    5. Thanks, Keith!

      A general does not always enjoy the luxury of fighting the battle of his choosing. Great generals find ways to win when all is not in their favor.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a fantastic day. The set up looks great. To my shame I've never played the rules, but so many entertaining games in one day sounds like a system that works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day out was very enjoyable. I recommend giving the game a try sometime. It is a game that I can bring out for play for non-wargaming visitors who have an interest in history and enjoy gaming. There is a lot of nuance and chance that keeps every battle interesting and never over until the last banner is collected.

      Delete
  11. Jonathan, you "cannae" go wrong with a day like that! ☺ (I'll get my cloak.....)
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a pretty damned good way to spend the day to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent sounding day of gaming and great looking figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you go wrong with great gaming with great-looking figures? You cannot!

      Delete
  14. 4 games a day. That's the equivalent of a month of Sundays here. Glad you had fun. Really what it is about, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When games are over in about an hour, it is easy to get in a handful of games. Always fun to get together with the guys for a game day.

      Delete
  15. Nice looking collection and of course you can’t go far wrong with C&C 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott has some beautiful armies. I agree that C&C always provides fun and interesting games.

      Delete
  16. A cracking day of games Jonathan….
    And lovely looking toys to play with.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of games! Lucky you! And to win one too.

    ReplyDelete