Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Misadventures in Shipping

While out shoveling snow following a recent snowstorm, the postman pulled up to the house and hopped out of his truck.  In his hand was the bright orange package shown above.  Fumbling with his handheld device to scan the package as delivered, we briefly discussed the present condition of the package as I put shovel aside and removed my gloves.  Seeing that one end was badly crushed and the box warped, the postman wanted to make clear that this particular package was a "last mile" delivery.  That is, another shipper is responsible for shipping to the "last mile" at which time the USPS takes over for final delivery to the address.  Not recalling the contents of this package, I remarked that I hoped the contents fared better than the packing container.  He smiled and said, "yeah, me too."  
Imagine my disappointment when I opened the box to reveal the contents.  Inside was a badly mauled boardgame.  There was no protective packing material and the shipping box, itself, was rather flimsy without rigidity.  The game box showed a broken spine with severe bending or warping.  This game had a rough journey.  Given Manassas is a relatively rare commodity, I was crestfallen at my loss. 
Since the purchase was from eBay and I felt the care in packing was insufficient to protect the shipment of goods, I requested a return.  Photos and explanation of the shipping damage were sent and the seller promptly replied.  After apologizing for the damage, he offered to accept a return.  A shipping label was sent. Within an hour of receiving the shipping label, another email from the seller arrived into my Inbox.  Rather than refund my total purchase price and pay for return shipping, he suggested I keep the game in its current state while refunding my purchase.  I accepted!

While the game box was badly damaged in transit, the game's components were still in undamaged condition.  I applaud the seller for his quick and satisfactory resolution.   

38 comments:

  1. Unfortunate experience but a good recovery from the seller!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an exceptionally honest and fair minded seller - if that had been a company they would have doubtless told you they had to investigate it with their courier company and then tried to lodge a claim, whereupon, after a period of days investigating the query and the subsequent claim, the courier company would have rejected the claim as the goods were insufficiently packaged - by now three of four weeks (at least) would have elapsed.....can you tell I work in the courier industry?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good resolution from the seller. Had I filed a claim with eBay, my purchase would have been refunded nonetheless without much hassle.

      Delete
  3. Sort of improvised happy ending, but well done. Considering the weather, it's surprising the game inside wasn't soaked through. It's sad when we have to console ourselves with how much worse things might have been - another reminder to me to continue to run down my eBay involvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! An improvised happy ending, for sure. While I would have preferred the box to arrive in its stated mint condition, I am ok with the end result.

      Now that my state levies State/City Sales Tax (almost 9%) against internet purchases (only one of three states to do so), my eBay purchases may be reduced too.

      Delete
  4. Always discouraging to turn that rush of opening a just-arrived hobby parcel into a negative. Still, a good result in the end. I have to say that if items in my game collection reflected the vintage of their owner, Dorian-Gray like, most of my boxes would be this battered :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discouraging, for sure, but a result I am at peace with.

      Delete
  5. Well done by the seller in the end. Never nice to see something in that kind of condition though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame about the damage but worked out fine at the end. That seller deserves a medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good response from the seller, for sure but more care in packing may have prevented this entire episode.

      Delete
  7. Despite of the bad packaging the responce of the seller was a 5star rating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had similar issues with less desirable outcomes. I think my favorite was getting just the shipping label in an envelope from the USPS indicating they had lost the rest of the package...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a classic! I am sure it was not so funny to receive the label only but I am laughing...

      Delete
  9. A wrongful outcome Jonathan. Nice to know there are still some honourable traders out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honorable traders still exist! I really should mention that this sort of result is a rarity. Most packages come through unscathed. I am reporting by exception only.

      Delete
  10. That's actually a real shame, avoidable and a real shame.

    As an aside - Fox's Gap has just hit the table, will do some opening moves tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shame to see such damage, for sure. At least the components are intact.

      I look forward to seeing Fox Gap on your table. Are you playing on the 6x5 grid and solo?

      Delete
  11. I am going 6x6 because my tiles are fixed at 3 hexes deep. I am putting the extra row on the Confederate baseline, so behind the ridge. It is being played solo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will provide the Rebels with a bit of breathing room behind their lines.

      Delete
  12. As others have said, it was good that the supplier stepped up. The standard of courier services seems to be slipping here in Australia, especially with Australia Post who seem determined to go with the cheapest sub-contractor no matter the consequences. They started down this path ten years ago and ended up replacing my regular delivery guy, who was excellent, with another contractor for a saving of only a few dollars a month. They new guy realised he would still get paid for not actually delivering the parcel but for placing a collection slip in the post box. They must have had a new contractor every six months or so since then. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good that the seller took responsibility for the mishap. He gets kudos for that.

      In general, service does not seem to be what it once was. Perhaps we are just getting old?

      Delete
  13. Those pics are almost physically painful...

    ReplyDelete
  14. A tale that supports the good nature of the people in the gaming world. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was one sorry looking package Jon, fortunately at least partially redeemed by the sterling conduct of the seller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry looking, indeed! At least the contents are still in good shape.

      Delete
  16. That's a pity! though you can still use undamaged game components. (small consolation)
    The seller acts responsive, that is always great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pity, for sure. At least the resolution to this mishap was satisfactory.

      Delete
  17. While unfortunate in the beginning I think it worked out to your advantage in the end so a good result.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete