Sunday, November 15, 2015

Early French from CGM in 18mm

Although my 1799 project has seen limited progress in 2015 (yes, work on the 1799 project was one of my 2015 goals), Campaign Games Miniatures' (CGM) recent release of early French in bicorne prompted a quick order to investigate.

Having ordered and received figures from Dermot at CGM in Barcelona in the past, I knew both service and sculpts would be first rate.  In fact, Dermot went way above the call of duty in an attempt to connect me with an order while I was traveling in Spain in 2011.  That is another story!  

On the CGM website, photos of the unpainted lead are encouraging.  Two styles are offered in either a selection of march attack or advancing poses.  Multiple poses within each classification.
French advance
(CGM website)
French March attack
(CGM website)
Website photos encouraging?  The figures look brilliant to me.  Additionally, grenadiers have the choice of either wearing bicorne of bearskin.

Once the order from CGM arrived with a seven day delivery from Spain to Washington State, USA, I examined the figures.  Very nice!  Including shipping charge, cost per figure for a small order of 24 figures worked out to USD$0.61 each.  Very competitive!

Since my 1799 project is primarily composed of AB Miniatures with plans for adding Eureka's Napoleonic Saxons as Piedmontese (and perhaps as French too), I laid out these three manufacturers' Napoleonics for a quick Comparison.
As seen in the above photo, CGM figures match very well with AB and Eureka.  The Eureka Saxon fusilier looks smaller than either of the AB or CGM fusiliers but that is a bit misleading.  The Eureka grenadier (second from right) looks fine alongside the AB figure.  Other Eureka fusilier poses match much more closely.  CGM, having good sculpts at an economical cost, can expect more orders from the Western USA.

To see how these figures can be rendered in competent hands, see the photo below from CGM's website (http://www.campaign-game-miniatures.com/news).

10 comments:

  1. AB and CGM certainly look the best IMO. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot argue with that based on the photo but I like the Eureka Saxons too!

      Delete
  2. CGM really are some of the best 15/18mm minis especially considering their price. At least here in Finland they are about half the price compared to AB and sculpt wise they do come quite close. Most of my smaller scale Napoleonics are from them and apart from them requiring more cleaning than AB, I've been really happy. Though on the next project I'll have to stick to AB as CGM sadly doesn't make Saxons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like CGM Napoleonics too but the anatomy looks funny to me on some of the figures. CGM do require a little more clean up than the nearly flash-free ABs but CGM are hardly troublesome to prep. Good solid figures! You are lucky to be able to pick up CGM at half the price of ABs.

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy checking out new manufacturers - nice comparison pictures, Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I enjoy investigating new manufacturers too! It can be a hobby within a hobby. Ever tempted to have a 18mm Napoleonics project, Peter?

      Delete
  4. CGM looks really top of the line, and quite understandably inspired you to place a test order. I don't see any visible problems in comparison to the other ranges, so full throttle on the purchasing - especially if there is a good mix between quality and price like you indicate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Full Throttle" on purchases is a dangerous phrase, indeed!
      I will paint one of the 13 figure battalions and set it alongside the ABs for a battalion-level comparison. I only recently resupplied this project's inventory from Eureka's great sale.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't aware CGM figures look so great - nice size figures to paint up too!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the CGM figures compare favorably to AB although a bit more chunky to my eyes. I like their cavalry very much.

      Delete