Fourteen years ago, in September 2012, the Palouse Wargaming Journal (PWJ) began as a place to record my wargaming activities and perhaps connect with a few like-minded wargamers. At the time, I had no clear sense of where the project might lead nor how long this venture might last. I certainly did not imagine that, fourteen years later, the blog would have accumulated 1,915 posts, 62,241 comments, and 341 followers.
Those numbers are more than statistics. Much more. Together, they represent fourteen years of games played, figures painted, and ideas exchanged with readers and fellow wargamers. The Palouse Wargaming Journal began as my hobby notebook, but it has gradually become something more. The PWJ records my ongoing wargaming activities preserved one post at a time. Occasionally, a little bit of Real Life is tossed in for good measure.
The blog is also a record of the dynamic nature of the hobby. Some periods have been filled with games and painting projects. Others have been slowed by competing demands, a wandering eye, or simply the difficulty of finding time to arrange a game. Projects have been started, set aside, restarted, and occasionally (but rarely!) completed. Armies have marched onto the tabletop, disappeared back into their storage boxes, and returned years later under entirely different rules. Sometimes even appearing with different basing schemes. The blog preserves all of those stages, including the false starts, mistakes, and second guesses that rarely appear in a photo or a summarized battle account.
The past year has been a period of both activity and reflection. I have continued to report games, show painted figures, and describe the projects occupying my painting desk and gaming table. At the same time, I found myself thinking more often about the wider purpose of wargaming blogs. What makes such a blog worthwhile? Does blogging still have a future in an age taken over by social media, video, and artificial intelligence? Why do wargamers devote so much effort to recording painting, researching, designing, and playing of games?
My continuing interest in analyzing the results of WSS' The Great Wargaming Survey offers one way to explore these questions. The survey provides useful information about the people who participate in the hobby, the periods and rules they prefer, and the reasons they continue to wargame. Yet these data also raise questions that statistics alone cannot answer. Numbers may reveal patterns, but they do not always explain the personal experiences behind them. Two people may report playing the same rules or historical period while finding entirely different rewards in the experience.
That tug-of-war between information and experience has become increasingly important as the internet continues to change. I repeatedly find myself asking whether blogs still matter. The question has been particularly difficult to ignore during a year marked by ongoing frustrations with Blogger’s infrastructure. Those technical problems are compounded by the growing influence of social media which offers quick publication and immediate feedback. Video, too, has become an increasingly popular way of presentation. Artificial intelligence adds another layer to the changing landscape by summarizing information and answering questions without necessarily directing readers to the original source.
Can blogging offer something different to these newer forms of communication?
I believe it can, although perhaps not by trying to compete with them on their own terms. The Palouse Wargaming Journal is not simply a collection of answers about rules, armies, or battles that can be extracted and summarized by an AI agent. For me, it is a personal record of a hobby in progress. It shows the figures and units as they emerge from the painting desk, the battlefields as they are laid out, the games as they develop, and the decisions that influence battle outcomes.
That personal element is important because wargaming is not only about information. It is also about interpretation. A battle report may explain who won, but it can also describe how the game unfolded, which decisions mattered, and what made the contest memorable. Similarly, a painting post may show a finished unit but also the way attention moves from one project to another, from one army to another, and from one historical period to the next.
As I wrote in Has AI Killed the Blogger Star?, those details cannot easily be reduced to a generic summary. These details belong to a particular hobby journey and to the individual experiences of the people involved. A blog can preserve those experiences in a way that is more personal and more durable than a brief social-media post.
In that sense, the blog remains both an archive and a conversation. Each post records a small part of the hobby, but it also invites readers to respond, contribute their own experiences, and even disagree with my conclusions or decisions. The comments, correspondence, and remote games that have grown from the blog are as important as the posts themselves. They demonstrate that wargaming is not merely a solitary activity carried out among shelves of miniatures. Wargaming is also a means of building connections across distance and sharing enthusiasm with people who may never otherwise meet.
When I began blogging fourteen years ago, I did not know whether anyone would read the Palouse Wargaming Journal, much less whether it would still exist fourteen years later. The wargaming blogosphere has changed considerably since 2012. Many blogs have disappeared, social media has altered how hobbyists share their work, and AI-assisted search is beginning to reshape how people find information online. Yet the fundamental appeal of the hobby remains unchanged.
There is still satisfaction in painting a unit, studying a campaign, laying out a battlefield, rolling the dice, and discovering what happens when history is placed in the hands of players. There is also value in recording that experience. Not of value because every game is historically significant or every painted figure is a masterpiece, but because each one forms part of my continuing journey.
Blogging remains my preferred way of sharing that journey. It provides the time and space to explain not only what happened, but also why it mattered to me. The Palouse Wargaming Journal continues not only because the hobby remains rewarding, but also because sharing my thoughts and experiences with others makes the hobby better.
Thank you to everyone who has visited the PWJ, left a comment, joined a remote game, offered encouragement, or simply followed along quietly. Your interest has helped sustain the blog through fourteen years of painting, gaming, research, reflection, and occasional technical frustration.
For now, marching through history in miniature continues.
14 years is some achievement and your blog is always well worth a visit. Only saw this as checking feeds as my blog roll so no blogs updated less than 1 day ago
ReplyDeleteThanks, Neil! The blogroll delay is annoying but less of a frustration than the recent inability to comment.
DeleteWell said Jon! I think bloggers should lean into the differences between blogs and all the other media options.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately Blogger is playing up again. Not updating the feed (mine is 2 days behind).
All the best.
Chris/Nundanket
Thank you, Chris! Yes, the blogroll delay is becoming unbearable. My blogroll feed is two days stale too.
DeleteCongrats on the anniversary, Jonathan. I too use my blog for a personal record of the hobby. I also started a FB page a few years ago, but I use it more for the local gaming folks that I know here in the Pacific NW. As an aside, I just experienced issues with uploading JPGs last night, just started working again this morning. I was thinking of going another route if the uploads weren't going to work anymore.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Dean! Uploads have continued to work for me. Fingers crossed!
DeleteCongratulations Jonathan 🎊 👏
ReplyDeleteAnd no applause for the blogger who isn't posting anything new. Something told me to take a look—it’s hard to believe you’ve gone so many days without a post :)
Thank you, Michal! At least you can comment!
DeleteWill comment properly later, as I'm checking through Blogs as my Reading List is not updating like many others. But a brief 'well done' on such a milestone and for you excellent content:)!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steve! I await your return!
Delete"The blog remains both an archive and a conversation. Each post records a small part of the hobby, but it also invites readers to respond, contribute their own experiences, and even disagree with my conclusions or decisions. The comments, correspondence, and remote games that have grown from the blog are as important as the posts themselves. They demonstrate that wargaming is not merely a solitary activity carried out among shelves of miniatures. Wargaming is also a means of building connections across distance and sharing enthusiasm with people who may never otherwise meet".
DeleteI think this sums up very succinctly why I started Blogging all those years ago now. It is being part of a small community that is so enjoyable, seeing what everyone is up to, becoming inspired to try new periods, campaigns etc. It is also a record of all those failed projects, rulesets etc too!
Let's hope Blogger continues as without it, me enjoyment of the hobby would be greatly diminished. BTW, I reported the issue via the Help and Feedback options on Blogger, so am waiting to see what response i might get...
If your blog is anything to go by the hobby and indeed wargames blogs are in good health. Many thanks for all your efforts; I should comment more often. Having said that Blogger is playing up - not an excuse, just feedback! Farqs
ReplyDeleteThank you, Farqs! Commenting here is optional but always much appreciated!
DeleteCongratulations on your accomplishment. If I recall the a main point from one of Big Lee's recent video "lectures," you have succeeded (survived?) for quite some time even without having a specific goal or stated purpose in mind for your blog way back when. At the risk of adding to your healthy ego, it appears that your blog has engaged and entertained for twice as long as The Seven Years' War. When you've accumulated another 365 days of posts, then you will be half-way to The 30 Years War mark. To adapt a British saying: "Keep calm & wargame on." Then again, "keep wargaming & blog on" seems more appropriate.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sir! When one sets out to simply chronicle the journey, I suppose that a specific goal or stated purpose may not be necessary. Healthy ego? I am but a humble wargamer with seemingly always something to say about my wargaming journey.
DeleteA fantastic effort Jonathan and I certainly appreciate it. What ever you post is always an interesting read, even if not in periods or topics that I have an interest in.
ReplyDeleteYour GWS analyses are a great addition to the hobby and show us all that we are not alone in our little niche interests.
Despite the recent travails of blogger (my blog roll hasn't updated for 2 days) I hope that the app survives, even if only for making a record for myself I find value in it. I find other forms of social media very confusing with way to many ads and suggestions.
Thank you, Ben! You are one of the regular commenters and your consistency is much appreciated. Pleased to see that you enjoy the GWS analyses. A new GWS analysis is in queue. I think you will find the topic of interest. Just need to finish it up.
Delete14 years! Well donel I know how much effort it is to keep a blog going, and your volume of output is very impressive. Annoyingly my blog feed has completely dried up now and I only found this by directly accessing your site. Is Google trying to kill blogger off by neglect?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Jon! I don't really know why I started blogging just over ten years ago (I missed the anniversary by a few days ..ggrrrr!) - not really to record things for myself, I don't think - I always wanted the interaction with other bloggers via the comments.
ReplyDeleteIt took quite a while to any (much like yourself when I went back and looked at the first couple of years of your posts!) but I got there in the end, and I would definitely miss the camaraderie of our little Band of Brothers if blogging dies out.