Monday, August 24, 2026

3rd Dragoon Regiment

Even with work continuing to bring a new ACW battle to the table, the painting desk remains active.  I plan to play the first couple of turns later this evening as a trial.  With help from the recent batch of painted 10mm Confederate infantry, August looks to be a good month on the "Painted" side of the ledger.  Painting seasonality begins to kick in (see Painting Seasonality)!  A variety of units is working its way through the painting queue in a variety of sizes.
First out of the gate sees a return to the 18mm WAS/SYW project with the addition of a British dragoon regiment. These twelve figures muster out as squadrons 1 and 2 of Dragoon Regiment #3.  Figures are Eureka Miniatures.
While the British and Hanoverian armies have been slowly growing in size over time, they have yet to see battle.  Perhaps I ought to consider bringing these untested armies out for a battle in the fall?  Which battle would be an interesting baptism of fire?  I need to give this topic some thought.  Suggestions welcome!
Up next on the gaming is the 1863 Battle of Salem Church.  As seen in the game photo above, the armies are deployed and ready for a fight.  From this angle, the Rebels look vastly outnumbered, but most are hiding in the trees!  The photo below shows that the Confederates are only slightly outnumbered and they hold the good ground.
Armies at Salem Church
On deck this evening is a test for a new player to both rules and remote gaming.  Hopefully, we can run through a few turns to provide a cursory grounding in both.

36 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the Dragoons, you could always look at a re-fight of Minden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will look into Minden. Appreciate the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. The new dragoons are lovely. Liking their red coats, very striking.

    Your ACW game has so many units! That's a lot to keep track of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your test game. From the photos it does not look like there is much room to manoeuvre for the Federal army on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had to postpone today's game. Hopefully, we can reschedule. The Federals are hemmed in with enemy all around except to the north. Sedgwick needs to try to push through the Reb defenses or escape north across the Rappahannock River.

      Delete
  4. Minden is a big battle unless bathtubbed.
    Plenty of interesting scenarios in the western theatre see here for some suggestions:

    https://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/category/seven-years-war-war-of-austrian-succession/page/2/

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on these dragoons Jonathan. I think Eureka figures are among my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work Jon, Eureka SYW at that scale are the best in my opinion. Your ACW set up looks great and should be an interesting battle, especially for the Federal army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie! Eureka SYW cavalry are definitely the best. Eureka SYW infantry are mixed in my opinion.

      Delete
  7. Lovely work there Jon and they do look good shoulder-to-shoulder as it were:). Hmmm, I think this might be a tough ask for the Union boys, as the terrain and having to attack, their slight numerical advantage might not be enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! Well, this was a tough ask historically so it should be here too.

      Delete
  8. Lovely work on the dragons. Salem Church looks set to be a real slog though! What an impressive array of troops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jonathan,

    Those 3rd Dragoons look magnificent—the red coats on those Eureka cavalry sculpts really pop! If you're looking for a crack at an authentic Western Theatre baptism of fire that isn't as massive as Minden, Warburg (1760) or Hastenbeck (1757) make superb, action-packed scenarios for getting the Anglo-Hanoverians onto the table.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Andy! I am familiar with both of your suggested battles. I will give them a look.

      Delete
  10. Very nice red coat cavalry. I hope to see them not defeating the French. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work on the Dragoons Jonathan.

    A tough job for the Feds in your ACW battle but the mass of all the figures looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve! We will see how the Federals fight this one.

      Delete
  12. Nice dragoons lifted by that splash of subdued yellow. Is it my imagination, but are these based a bit tighter than previously?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work on the figures. Look forward to seeing these in action, along with many others from 7YW. The ACW game will be tooth and nail , no doubt! Great to see so much ACW , the battle picked is tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! I look forward to seeing how the armies and scenario survive first contact at Salem Church.

      Delete
  14. From the Lace Wars to ACW: you cover lots of ground, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, indeed. I have armies from Sumeria to Star Wars.

      Delete
  15. Splendid addition, you should most certainly attempt to get the force bloodied! An interesting ACW battle in the offing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is time to bring the British towards their first battle.

      Delete
  16. Excellent Dragoons Jon! There are more Rebs than I initially thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thousands of 'em, Ray! Glad you like my little dragoons!

      Delete