Friday, August 21, 2026

Rebasing and a Parade

In a few recent posts, I have dropped a hint or two that I planned to rebase my growing Wars of the Roses collection. True, and the work is completed.

Why consider rebasing a relatively new collection in the first place?  That is a good question.  When I first dived into the project, my mind and sensibilities were set on building armies for a set of rules that were in playtests a few years ago.  I figured that I would follow that lead.  Each archer and melee line was based on three bases.  Since I primarily play on a hex grid for remote games, each three-base unit spanned two, four-inch hexes.  Now, this was fine, but I prefer moving fewer stands to more.  Perhaps my initial sensibilities were not so sensible?  I also thought that having one stand in each hex might simplify a few features of the rules that I am developing myself.  The "before" basing is illustrated in the photo below.  
Old basing scheme
This basing scheme did the job, but I wanted something different.  As mentioned, above, I wanted fewer bases and a single stand fitting into a four-inch hex.  Since these are all Perry plastics, I wanted the bases to have a little more heft and certainty when picking stands up and moving them around the gaming table.

That brings me to the current iteration of my basing scheme. 

Now each BMU consists of two stands, each element of which fits into the four-inch hex.  A supported unit is still identified by having two units in the same two hexes.  Having two stands fitting in two hexes opens up some possibilities for play and facing that were not so easily accomplished with three bases spanning those same two hexes.  The photos below show the new basing scheme. 
New basing scheme with each BMU in its own hex pair.
New basing scheme with two BMUs in support.
How was the weight issue addressed?  Adding some weight and heft to each base was accomplished by affixing a heavy-duty magnetic piece onto the bottom of each base.  Magnetic base bottoms are from Litko Aerosystems.
Magnetic bases stuck to the bottom of each base.
Both of these changes make a big difference in both the heft of each stand and the ease of movement.  For me, moving two, heavier stands per BMU is much easier (and more satisfying) than moving three smaller, lighter weight stands.

So, where does the WotR collection stand today?  Well, a brief parade will help assess my progress.  By the way, one more Battle is in work and soon to join the armies, here, on display.




As a reminder, the Great Wargaming Survey, 2026 Edition closes on 31 August.  If you have yet to complete this year's survey, please consider doing so.  Details can be found at Palouse Wargaming Journal: If it is August...

Next time, more painted figures marching out from the painting desk.

46 comments:

  1. An army of impressive size! Large bases look more realistic and aesthetically pleasing. That’s undeniable. But personally, I prefer traditional basing (4x4 cm for infantry and 5x5 cm for cavalry). Of course, it doesn’t look as beautiful, but to each their own. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexey! You are exactly right, to each their own vision of how collections should be presented.

      Delete
  2. I confess Jonathan that I have never (as far as I can remember) rebased figures.....
    Certainly not a whole army!
    Kudos for pursuing a vision ( or scratching that itch that won't go away......)
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, it is like building a new army without all of the painting! Give it a try.

      Delete
  3. My word Jonathan, that is a lot of work, and I too have never rebased an army, although I have considered it with one that comes to mind.

    Nice job, well done.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan, rebasing is not such a big task. I even enjoy the work a little. I have rebased many an army over the years.

      Delete
  4. A very nice, and big, army parade. Were you able to avoid any breakages in the re-basing process?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, rebasing. Well done, a tedious job at the best of times but satisfying when complete. Increasingly I use magnetic Sabot bases to avoid doing this, but some of my poor 6mm Napoleonics have been rebased five times! Perhaps I've got it right this time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you got it right this time with your Napoleonics? That's funny! Maybe sixth time's a charm?

      Delete
  6. That was one epic rebasing task, I have a little bit to do only a couple of units this time though, it now appears a lot less daunting🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, this is not as daunting as it first appears. Once you get into the swing of it, the process is easy.

      Delete
  7. I love these masses of armour and steel. Very nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking mass of troops! Im considering rebasing my early imperial Romans ,which are on 120mm bases as Ive occasiinally found them difficult to use with other systems?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I use Basic Impetvs for my 28mm Ancients' collections, 120mm x 60mm frontage is my preferred base size.

      Delete
  9. Great rebasing project, Jonathan. I also find that larger bases (with more figs) preferrable. I recently rebased my ECW shotte to 3x2 per base instead of the 2x2 fig bases. In fact, I wished I'd have used 3x2 figs per base for my Napoleonics too - but there are too many to rebase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean! Rebasing is not too bad once you get stuck in. I have been considering rebasing my Napoleonics too.

      Delete
  10. They look brilliant and will certainly make it easir to play on zoom. That's a lot of figures to rebase Jon, how long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a good looking muster! I think having more figs on a base always looks better than fewer based figs, but more bases of them.
    Still... this project didn't sound all that exciting to undertake and complete - happy to be done and to move on to more interesting hobby work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that more is better and fewer bases is better. I dislike both figure and stand removal to show unit disintegration. This rebasing effort was enjoyable and a nice break from painting.

      Delete
  12. A good move, certainly from the hex perspective. Re-basing has that element that you feel like you are getting a new unit without doing any of the painting!😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Jon. Not a job anyone looks forward too is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really did not mind the distractions of rebasing and the exercise produces an improvement to my eye. I am happy that effort is behind me.

      Delete
  14. Personally I hate the thought of rebasing anything, but find that the thought is usually far worse than the actuality. Your new bases look spot on when placed on the hexes so makes perfect sense. The parade is glorious and highlights what a large and beautiful collection you have there Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Lawrence! Rebasing is not so bad once you actually get into it.

      Delete
  15. I think my views on rebasing are pretty well known, Jon, as I express them every time the topic comes up! For the absence of doubt, I have only ever done it once - and that was with a handful of figures.
    As an aside, I think if I was basing unts for hex play, I would do it so a single unit was on a single base that would fit within a single hex - but as you agreed with Alexey - to each their own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I know your position on rebasing very well and you leave nothing to doubt! I prefer single element over multi-element basing but I wanted these units to take up more ground and be larger. This works for a number of "fashionable" rulesets like "To the Strongest!", "Test of Resolve", "Blood Red Roses", and probably many others simple by rearranging the stands. Sometimes, I DO play on non-gridded tables, and these will work there too.

      Delete
  16. Very impressive work Jon, I still hanker after some medieval gaming but already have too many projects on the go. One day perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! You are not alone in having too many projects on the go.

      Delete
  17. Re-basing is never fun but those new bases have turned out well

    ReplyDelete
  18. The 'nightmare' we all avoid, but you got through it and the result looks great. It's good to achieve basing to produce the minimum number of bases to move while still allowing for tactical flexibility.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! Rebasing is not a nightmare but an inconvenience when I could be painting. Minimum number of bases that still allows for tactical flexibility…I like it!

      Delete
  19. Fantastic result Jonathan and you have got me thinking about how I based some older armies and that I perhaps should rebase them, once I get around to deciding to use them 😁
    I am also thinking of my current British Napoleonic army. I am wondering if I should make the bases one base of 10 figures rather than two bases of 5 figures. I am not sure I ever make use of the extra flexibility provided by the more numerous bases and therefore it is really redundant.
    Oh bother..... another post by Mr. Freitag that has got me thinking about my gaming choices! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben! A post that gets the grey cells working is a good one.

      Delete
  20. Hi Jonathan,

    Re-basing a whole army is always a daunting prospect, but the end result here looks magnificent. The single-stand hex alignment makes complete sense for keeping remote games clear and streamlined. A stunning parade of Perry plastics!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I very much prefer as few bases as possible to accomplish what I need so I really like your choice. Your army looks great btw Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to have company, Christopher. Thank you!

      Delete
  22. Great to see these chaps all finished on the re-basing front and a fine parade too. I look forward to seeing them in action:).

    ReplyDelete