Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Back to the Painting Desk

Work at the painting desk has been slow with so many distractions.  One of which is rebasing the WotR collection.  Rebasing has required painting a few additional figures to conform to the new scheme.  I am happy to report that the project is behind me, and work continues on adding a new subprocess to the rules which are a work-in-progress.  Once I can clear enough space on the game table, I will present a parade of the newly based armies. 

Until such time, a unit of Arab spearmen muster out from the painting desk to form up with the other opponents to Christendom in the 28mm Reconquista project.  The more I paw through The Lead Pile, the more suitable figures rise to the surface.  This is the first of two such Arab units to march out from this rediscovery.  Excavations also brought up a few Arab crossbowmen and a handful of cavalry.  Figures are 28mm Black Tree Design. 
With the calendar turning over to August, a look at my painting seasonality chart (see Painting Seasonality) suggests that painting output ought to begin ramping up.  We will see if that holds true.  I certainly feel more energized to get back to the painting desk.  Let's see how long this sensation lasts!

Don't forget to fill out your GWS 2026 before the end of August.  Details can be found at If It's August....  Early reports are that completion percentage is running ahead of last year, but it is early in the month.

42 comments:

  1. Rediscoveries in the lead pile? Always a bonus.
    Nice work on the Arabs. Some of the Black Tree figures are very nice, shame ordering is such a hit and miss affair (or certainly used to be).
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neil! Bringing some of these figures up is like hunting for a needle in a haystack. I like the BTD figures a lot and used to buy them by the armloads. I have not placed an order since 2019 when my last order never appeared after repeated promises of "out this week!" Finally had to engage PayPal to get this resolved, which they did.

      Delete
  2. very nice. Your lead pile could perhaps have its own blog ... a place of adventure. looking forward to the WotR post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Lead Pile may have its own gravitation field.

      Delete
  3. Lovely work on those Arabs Jon, not seen those BTD sculpts before, they really do have a great catalogue and it is a real shame that their service is so bad,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie! BTD figures once were cheap and easy to obtain. Not anymore, I am afraid.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful looking unit Jonathan! Love the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done unit and always a bonus to unearth figures in the lead pile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a bonus when enough figures can be collected to field one more unit.

      Delete
  6. Excellent additions for your rebasing project, Jonathan. Nice to know I'm in good company regarding rebasing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean, but these fellas are not part of a rebasing project. These are new and freshly painted.

      Delete
  7. Mining the lead pile turns up treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about looking for a needle in a haystack. There are a few projects I want to get stuck into but know I have them spread across several boxes which are now in different places. Great work on these Arabs Jonathan. They are lovely sculpts and it is just a pity that the manufacturer was so hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! I try to keep each project's unpainted figures together but sometimes even that scheme is not enough to know where everything is when I want it. It is a pity about BTD figures, but I have more than enough.

      Delete
  9. You have added a nice mix of colours (reds, blues, and yellows) to make the unit look quite vibrant. Look forward to seeing the WotR parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I still must clear off the table for enough space for a parade.

      Delete
  10. New unit looks like it'll fit in very nicely with the rest of your Arab forces.
    A parade of WotR rebased units is something to look forward too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dai! I will work on getting the troops ready for a parade.

      Delete
  11. Fine looking troops there Jonathan. Survey completed this morning before I forget again👴🏻

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning job looking forward to seeing more soon do like your painting style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking troops Jonathan. Especially the leader with the striped robe. I am looking forward to the parade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thsoe are very nice-looking figures Jon, greatly enhanced by a nice paint job and excellent basing. I have never bought BTD and probably never will, based on the terrible reputation they now have for abysmal service - a real shame because their figures look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! BTD offers many excellent figure ranges. Too bad about their service but maybe that has changed since my last order in 2019?

      Delete
  15. Nice work Jon, who knows what you. Ight find if you delve deeper into the lead pile ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice looking unit - my hobby room where I paint is still too hot in the afternoons to do much painting so I am managing a couple of colours a day on some figures but not much more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike! My game room is in the basement so it stays cool year-round. For me, finding time in summer to spend meaningful time down there is the challenge.

      Delete
  17. Gorgeous looking figures, Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab looking figures, Jon. I spy a GB command figure in there as well. Looking forward to see the WotR parade ground pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! I am pretty sure that all figures are BTD. Not sure where a GB figure could have snuck in.

      Delete
  19. I'll echo what others have said about the painting! I think Peter expressed it better than I could.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jon,

    Those Black Tree Design Arabs look marvellous—the mix of vibrant colours on the robes and shield patterns really makes the unit pop. Mining the lead pile for forgotten treasure is always a proper treat.

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete