Tuesday, July 28, 2026

"Loopy" Wargame Design

I found David's 27 June piece on Principles, Models, and Algorithms interesting and figured the post deserved more than I could produce in a short comment to his post directly.  After some thought, I tackle David's essay.

To briefly summarize David's essay, he argues that rules can be understood at three levels (or layers): principles, models, and algorithms.  Principles are broad goals that require judgment and may be ill-defined or vague.  Models are the underlying ways in which we try to understand reality and quantify those perceptions into workable solutions.  Algorithms are the mechanisms used to resolve and adjudicate game actions without any bias or judgment.  David suggests that this process carries a definite hierarchy with Principles at the top followed by Models and finally Algorithms.
David's perspective on algorithms (rule mechanisms) is that they are useful since discrete rules can be applied consistently by anyone.  That is, if the rules are clear and without ambiguity!  A potential downside pops up when these algorithms mask the principles and models underlying them.

David's hierarchical way of considering rules and scenario writing is a helpful approach.  The distinction between principle, model, and algorithms is useful.  My experience in evaluating ruleset design illustrates that many of the arguments about wargame rules come from confusing these levels or from expecting one layer to do the work of another.

To respond to the post, I first relabel David's levels to terms that carry more meaning to me.  "Objective" replaces "Principle" and "Mechanism" replaces "Algorithm."  "Model" remains the same.  I tend to think of these levels not as hierarchical, one-way progressions but as layers that interact with one another.  When a rules mechanism exposes a flaw in a model, the objective may need to be re-examined.  In practice, designers move back and forth between each of these levels in a loop as shown in the diagram below.
In scenario (and rules) design, the idea that objectives sit at a higher level of abstraction than mechanisms feels exactly right.  The aim of a game is not always simply to defeat the enemy.  Once objectives shift to delay, escort, screen, or hold key terrain pieces, the whole character of the game changes.  Objectives should not be vague or ambiguous.  In a sense, objectives help to shape and classify the historical problem we are trying to represent on the table.  Victory conditions, laid out as an objective, tend to shape player behavior more than mechanisms do.

The idea of a model is also useful, but some clarification is warranted.  A model in wargaming is not only conceptual but takes the role of creating a selective abstraction of causation.  As a designer, we make choices.  In other words, a model tells us what we think matters in a given historical situation.  That seems especially important in wargaming, where two rulesets may look similar on the surface but actually rely on different assumptions about morale, firepower, cohesion, or command.  There are different types of models in wargame design as well.  Models can include physical models (ranges, formations, movement rates, weapons effects), behavioral models (morale, command friction), and perceptual models (fog of war, limited intelligence).  Different combinations of models or different implementations explain why two rulesets with the same, core mechanisms can feel very different.  

On mechanisms removing judgment altogether, I find this not the case.  Mechanisms certainly channel responses, which is valuable, but they do not eliminate judgment from the game as a whole.  Rather than eliminating judgment, mechanisms relocate it.  Players still exercise judgment in movement, target selection, risk-taking, timing, and so forth. Perhaps a better point is that mechanisms confine judgment by removing arbitrary rulings.  Mechanisms allow for a more explicit and repeatable structure.

In the end, the most valuable part of David's essay is that it reminds us to ask not only whether a rule works, but why it works.  A game may have clean mechanisms but still fail to express the historical problem it is trying to represent. Conversely, a simple mechanism can work quite well if it is supported by a sound model and a clear objective. A looping design and development structure helps to focus the interaction between the three levels of objective, model, and mechanism.

47 comments:

  1. Well this has git me thinking or rather rethinking about some of the rules I am trying to write. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good to get you thinking about wargame and scenario design!

      Delete
  2. I would agree with the proposal, but would change the formula to Principle + Algorithm = Model.

    The principle is the picking out and higgling those things that are important to reflecting the feel and practical issues of the subject.

    The algorithm is the maths under the bonnet and mechanism that deliver the principle.

    The model is what the final combination of what those two things look like as a practical method of making it happen .i.e. it is the game engine.

    As a brief example - I designed a Hastings 1066 game. Harold is defending a Ridgeline and it is a very strong position ..... as long as he stays on it!

    William must, must, must, break that line and break the that army, everything pivots on that. We end up with an eight hour battle rather than the typical 2, with both armies reaching the point of exhaustion.

    In my mind, what is uppermost in the design is that the Norman player should feel that emotional aspect of grinding difficulty of a task that must be achieved. The assault must be grindingly difficult, but achievable and the maths under the bonnet is critical to that - the algorithm.

    Harold must have his own emotional connection with the game, he must survive on that ridge for one more turn, one more turn.

    Other principles, again underpinned by algorithm, deliver that, such as what is the maths used to allow the Normans to start breaking into the Saxon line and what set of mechanics start to cause the collapse of the line, at first in a couple of places and then increasingly of the army itself.

    I think you would apply this to every situation, the question, what makes Stalingrad, Stalingrad? and what do you do to make both players 'feel' they are actually there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good example, Norm. Your objective is to place the Norman player into the shoes of the historical counterpart. There may be a number of sub-objectives and scenario exclusives to get the feel right. How you accomplish this task is through your model building and scenario design. Once your models are in place, models are tweaked through mechanisms to get a range of plausible results in repeated trials. Of course, models and mechanisms are employed to insert fun into the game so that players actually want to play the game.

      Delete
  3. Interesting read, got me thinking about how I write rules, not that I do much of that these days, preferring to tinker with existing sets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! Tinkering with existing rules is a common branch of wargame design!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting post, Jon.
    The ‘line ‘em up and knock ‘em down’ game is less and less apparent in my own gaming these days…a good scenario with an interesting objective makes for a far better game, and when I play face to face it brings out very different gaming decisions in my opponents (some of whom lose sight of their aim very swiftly, while others grasp the necessity extremely well).
    Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin! The line 'em up and knock 'em down approach can get repetitive quickly. I agree that a good scenario with interesting objectives is the way forward.

      Delete
  5. More thought provoking and interesting analysis Jon. I like Norms comments too - using rules that allow things to happen on the table, that actually happened in real life, is an important aspect, particularly for people who try to refight historical scenarios. A good example I always think is Rorkes Drift - it seems a very improbable situation, that 100-200 British soldiers could hold off 4000 Zulus for 36 hours or whatever it was - but it happened - so if you are playing a game, the rules need to make it possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see this got your gray cells moving, Keith! To simulate historical events, all three of these components need to be put to good use. On your Rorke's Drift example, was the historical outcome an outlier or an expected result? Once you know that, you can design the game.

      Delete
  6. That is very interesting, I like a good meta model. In rules design I find the model layer is perhaps the most significant as it heavily influences the choice of mechanism and therfore gameplay. In my One Hour WW2 set I spent some considering whether I wanted to model fire preparation and assault as two distinct activities or roll it into one (as so many professional games pitched at brigade level do).

    In scenario design though, it is all about the top layer, what is the game trying to achieve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin! You are exactly correct in that a good meta model (or models) heavily influences the choice of mechanisms considered.

      Delete
  7. Well all this may be true, but to be honest I think most wargame design is about preconceived ideas and then making them fit - a gigantic fudge if you will! Mmmmm....fudge.....☺
    There was an old article which argued most design was "bottom up" not "top down" - you read individuals and their experience of a Napoleonic battle and attempt to write rules that reflect this, not the memoires of Marshall Doody...
    I think a lot of rules are even less scientific than this.
    I organise my units in 24/36/48 figures or 1:25, 1:33 or whatever. I like throwing lots of dice. I think figures should move 6" and muskets fire 12" . A sweeping generalisation, but in essence some fixed ideas permeate. Add to that the historical prejudices - I want to be able to form square and cavalry can only break it on a 6, unless lancers.
    That is using your diagram, the model takes precedence, mechanisms are already set to some extent and then an objective is tacked on at the end.
    A vast majority of rules are evolutionary not revolutionary; that is existing mechanisms or even whole rulesets are adapted to fit another period or genre.
    Take for example the whole ex-GW stable; WHFB was a sort of neo-Featherstone "6, bang you're dead" dressed up as fantasy - WAB a complete rip-off of these without ANY pretence of historical accuracy (read Jervis Johnstone and the furious response in Slingshot), BP and their ilk yet more variations on a theme. You can even see elements in Midgard - those WS, BS, Wound type values.
    I'd argue few of these showed much of the design process as you outline but owe more to existing sets, which themselves were "designed" in a very basic way ( Midgard being an exception to some extent).
    Contrast with Frank Chadwick 's Volley & Bayonet. The design notes clearly show a top down model with clear design parameters and desired outcomes; the mechanisms made to fit in as simple a way as possible. The whole concept revolutionary and showing clear elements of a design process.....
    Yet which is more popular?
    Is it because one is dominated by glossy "wargames porn" while the other has poor quality black and white pictures of basic painted miniatures?
    Are wargamers sheep? ☺
    See also Bob's "Cult of prettiness" blog post.
    The fact is anyone can write a set of rules; most will be something someone else has already done, whether mechanisms, troop descriptions, characteristics. I doubt many think of it in terms of a process, more a set of fixed ideas and problem solves until it all hangs together.
    How many rules have you found the point where they are held together with sticky tape and a sudden tug makes them fall apart?☺☺☺
    Just MHO.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, you make a good point about wargame design. Much may, indeed, be flying by the seat of your pants. Sometimes, with little thought about the objectives, models, or mechanisms used. How many times have you deconstructed models/mechanism/scenarios in a design to find that the math fails to produce its intended objective?

      Delete
    2. My favourite story would be when a certain large wargame manufacturer republished a set of rules (well known in the US, less so in the UK).
      A person who may or may not have authored rules was tasked with a re-write. In addition to changing base sizes to favour the non-standard, they were told to align the combat mechanisms for missile and melee. One required high rolls for success, the other the opposite. They were released for playtesting. I noticed that something didn't seem right, so dug out the originals to find that for the mechanism which had changed, he had only changed the success number, but NOT the modifiers, so the worst troops were invulnerable, while the best died in droves!
      I pointed this out, and initially denied it, but then confirmed his error after looking at it. None of the playtesters had noticed and it was weeks away from publishing. My reward was to be banned from having anything to do with rules or the replacement author.....
      Yes, glass half empty is my motto ( and what's left has been nicked by someone!) ☺☺☺☺
      Neil

      Delete
    3. Great story, Neil! Now, you MUST name the rules! As is said, no good deed goes unpunished.

      Delete
    4. I couldn't possibly say........
      Ask me on the VWC! ☺

      Have to protect the innocent and avoid anyone suing! ☺
      Neil

      Delete
    5. Ha ha! OK, I will ask during VWC. Might be worth rearranging my Saturday morning schedule to attend.

      Delete
    6. I share Neil's frustration with lack-lustre rules, where plagiarism (of concepts and game mechanics) abounds. The cynical aim of shifting 'units' (of the consumer kind) seems to predominate, especially when they are packaged into some complete 'game'.
      On the other hand, it would be a 'colourless' world if we had only one point of view or approach. With legions of wargamer butterflies there is always a market for 'new' rules, no matter how hackneyed.

      Delete
    7. James, if we only had one point of view among all of the rulesets then the rules' tinkers would be quite busy. I am surprised that any one set of rules can manage to get to the top of the heap, dominate the competition, and stay there. There are some that fit into that category.

      Delete
    8. Neil you describe my process of rules making perfectly, except that I often substitute alcohol for the fudge. 😂

      Delete
  8. Interesting post and both Norm and Neil add valid points, especially the bit about your view of rules being clear, pure and idealistic and Neils being a bit grubby, bodged, prejudiced, reversed enginered and probably nicked!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! Yes, Norm and Neil's positions on wargame design seem to be glass half full and glass half empty perceptions.

      Delete
  9. As others have said very interesting. I'm also grateful for your use of mechanism not mechanic. Whenever I see the latter I always think of someone in dirty overalls like Super Mario. That's enough pedantry for now. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin! Yeah, "mechanic" can be a pet peeve to many.

      Delete
  10. Very interesting Jon, that got me thinking that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Objective can be a bit ambiguous. In a set of general rules it might be " A game with good period flavour, elegant mechanisms and a play time around two hours". But we might read it differently if designing a scenario, where the objective may be setting goals for the players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Anthony, and good to see you again! Your example of objective is very vague and ambiguous, for sure. While this might be a very top design goal, the design must have more concrete objectives or where will the designer even begin? What is "good period flavor" or what are "elegant mechanisms?" Both overall game design and scenarios can have different objectives. One is set at the macro- level, the other at the micro-level.

      Delete
  12. Interesting read Jon, I'm not a rule writer and prefer the odd tweak here and there on commercial rules, food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased that you found this of interest, Donnie! I reckon many of us here are rules' tinkerers, naturally.

      Delete
  13. I've never tried to write my ownset of rules and the conundrums you highlight above are some of the reasons why. I always feel things need to be "perfect" in order to cover all eventualities and so forth that come up during a game. I honestly don't think I have the patience or brain power to count for that whilst at the same time make a fun gaming experience that offers depth and immersion.
    Interesting read though Jon, appreciate you putting the time in to write a post to make us gamers think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dai, you may never know if you have a set of rules in you until you try. i bet you do. Glad you found this ramble of interest.

      Delete
  14. A masterful explication of the intersection of theory and practice (praxis, as it is called in certain fields).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have never been tempted to write my own rules and am not a fan of modifying existing sets, but would much rather continue searching for the 'perfect' set, or at least a set that is close enough to my perception of the flavour of an era. I think this reinforces Norm's point, that the underlying principles have to feel right and then everything else should flow from there. Of course, most of these principles are derived from received wisdom which may in itself be incorrect, or at least not universally applicable, but you have to start somewhere.

    The things that always make me inwardly chuckle though are when you run across something that just doesn't feel right and an acolyte of the rules launches into a lengthy explanation involving tenuous abstractions of what it is meant to represent.

    On a tangent but somewhat related, I have never found a set of naval rules that I feel both captures the necessary principles and can withstand continuous play. Nimitz comes close for WWII naval, but it devolves into a mixture of a pounding match between battleships while smaller ships try to cross the T Napoleonic style and torpedo them. The first aspect of this can get a little boring, but feels realistic as that was what happened most of the time. The continuous efforts to cross the T and launch torpedoes feels less realistic, but is more exciting.

    Napoleonic naval games always seem a little dry to me and annoying when one side has the weather gauge and the other must spend the game tacking into it, but what would an age of sail game be without wind? My search for the perfect set continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep searching for the Holy Grail of rulesets, Lawrence! Let us know when you find them! I have trouble finding naval rules that work for me as well although I really do not do much naval wargaming.

      Delete
    2. Your comments neatly encapsulate why I am not very interested in naval gaming, Lawrence.
      Even when it is reasonably realistic, it's not very exciting!

      Delete
  16. I am a bit confused for two reasons. Firstly all of the 'elements' that you describe are a type of model and secondly you seem, to me, to be freely exchanging and interchanging between 'rules', 'game and 'scenario'.
    If I assume that, in the little world of our blogs, we are a niche within a niche: wargamers* who represent a game version of eras of conflict on the table. The 'wargame' is what is on the table. It is a game model. It is composed of the physical models to represent troops, units, armies, bits of terrain and so on. These are laid out according to the model for the specific action trying to be represented (be it historic or fictional)—the scenario (which I think you are calling 'game'?). Then there is the model of how these physical models interact; the 'rules'. And we throw in a bit of 'agency' of a player.
    Your second graphic describes elements of the process of designing rules, but I think you are actually describing the design of a scenario, or how one comes to the initial conditions and conduct of a specific wargame on the table, aren't you?
    Best wishes, James
    *We probably all have a different impression in our mind ('mental model') of what that is too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, thoughtful comments, thank you! Sorry for any confusion. I know that I may not be as clear as I reckon when formulating this (or any other!) post.

      The first graphic is the design hierarchy according to David's interesting piece. The second graphic is my reinterpretation of the design process. The elements illustrated in the second graphic (Objective, Model, Mechanism) are not all "models." There may be some confusion between components of a wargame (figures, terrain, etc.) and the process of designing a wargame.

      Let me try to clarify.

      "Objective" is the goal or mission statement of the design. The "design" is primarily the ruleset, but a scenario may be an offshoot design of the rules and follows a similar subordinate workflow which ties back into the rules' design.

      "Model" in this wargaming context is a selective abstraction of causation. A Model explains what factors matter and how units move, fight, interact, and respond. A Model answers the questions of why and how does this work. A Model is the underlying logic of the simulation and provides a full set of instructions for the game.

      "Mechanism" in this context is the game procedure that acts on the Model logic. Mechanisms turn these sets of logical instructions into game play.

      Perhaps one way to think of this distinction is to separate “what the game design is trying to model,” “why and how does this work," and "procedure that produces the result.”

      You are correct in that we all may bring a different understanding of game design to the table.

      Clear as mud? Maybe...

      Delete
    2. It's a semantic thing and how broadly you define 'model'. They exist in various forms. They can be theoretic, mathematical, physical... They consist of a frame of reference, level or approximation, assumptions, 'calculations',... A description of how a bullet leaves a barrel and hits a target is a model. We can try to put mathematics into this description to produce a more detailed, dynamic and perhaps more accurate model.
      I would contest that your 'objective' is the theoretic framework you are putting around the game-model. It is a descriptive model. The 'model' and 'mechanism' are the assumptions, estimations and calculations by which the theoretical framework is translated into something dynamic. All three are all part of the final model, with all its limitations.
      Best wishes, James

      Delete
    3. Yes, this could boil down to semantics and different interpretations of the words and terminology. Since I view Objective as an abstraction of a goal or overarching umbrella to design, a theoretical framework, as you put it, makes sense.

      Delete
    4. Absolutely Jon. The objective as the overarching umbrella to design is the descriptive version of the model. This description may be written down, drawn in a diagram or perhaps exist solely in one's head.
      Thinking about it, the descriptive model is so often how we as wargamers assess a set of rules, or the resulting wargame; it "looked or 'felt' like a game of X". Where do we get this ideal of look or feeling from? Books, paintings, diagrams, dioramas, other rules, other wargames we have seen or played, stories told by others.. any of the 'ways of knowing'. Certainly not Sir RS's film, even though none of us were there—but we have the advantage of reading accounts of those who were and those who came afterwards who have made a study of it.
      This is your blog and your post. I have only been labouring the point (for which I apologise—but you'll note, with irony, that it has not stopped me!) since you are a man of mathematics (and I expect science) so understand the importance of terminology and the uncertainty of understanding. I know that you have developed models of your own, statistical certainly, but I strongly suspect others too in your work? I have temporarily jumped back on the horse and am messing with a report of testing-validation of a model we released in 2019 with a view to identifying areas for improvement.
      You, and anyone else who bothered to read this has suffered enough from me, so I will leave any final comment to you 😀.
      Best wishes, James

      Delete
  17. Awesome post Jonathan and while I could have made the first comment I knew that I would need a bit of thinking time to write something sensible. And just as well as the comments have been very informative.

    I have written my own rules and Neil P. describes my process perfectly. Stolen ideas, fudges, and sticky tape. 😮😂

    I do like your description of how a rule set can be created. It reminds me of the layout of Neil Thomas's One Hour Wargames book with a description of each of the periods, his understanding of the important factors for that period, and then the rules for the period. Then followed by 50 scenarios that can be used.

    A wonderful set of comments by everyone, especially Norm and Neil P., and very thought provoking. I will definitely use this meta model when designing* rules in the future.

    * so much fancier than saying "making up" 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben! Look how long it took me to return to David’s original post and hammer out a response. We probably all use others work at least as motivation , experimentation, and analysis before formulating our own ideas on game design. That’s OK. I agree that I learn a lot from the generous commentary and grateful for each response.

      Delete
  18. Jonathan,
    hmpf, I looked at the title of post and thought """OK, one short one before nodding off"
    I really should know better by now!
    Despite some wrangling over terms, it is my take that the looping approach is pretty close to what could be used on, most tasks that are adjusted based on feedback.
    The story about a game changed incorrectly and it getting the messenger shot rang so true.
    Finally, your back and forth with James shows that the best ideas have ,many reinterpretation of details from a reader.

    I am much more with Dai in the playing rather than writing rules is my go to. activity.
    One vote for "Don't give up the Ship!" For age of sail games. If you can' tack, get out of the water.

    ReplyDelete