Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Clifford's Battle

Besides fighting and refighting the 1615 Battle of Dōmyōji and working on the rebasing of my 28mm WotR project throughout June and July, I managed to push out an additional contingent for the WotR project.
Mustering out today is Clifford's Battle consisting of the three battle lines, one line each of archers (20 figures), billmen (14 figures), and Men-at-arms (13 figures).  Yes, bases are still configured into BMUs of figures yielding similar weapons.  That is, archers in one BMU of two stands, billmen in one BMU of two stands, MAA in one BMU of two stands.  Figures are all Perry Miniatures plastics.
The rebasing project is nearing completion.  Only a couple of Battles left to convert.  Once finished, it may be time for a parade and an explanation of my rebasing madness.
In the category of something you don't see every day, I came upon this sight while out on the bike one morning.  Now, we like to complain about potholes in these parts, but this sight takes "pothole" to a new level.  As seen in the photo above, the inattentive driver drove his car around the "Road Closed" barricade and straight into a reconstruction trench!  That is about a two-foot drop from street level with two wheels in and two wheels out.  Ouch!  The driver had his trunk open and was quietly removing items from the trunk and placing them beside the car.  I was tempted to stay to watch the extraction but had to be on my way.  Be careful out there!     

46 comments:

  1. Lovely work on the latest battle Jonathan. The paints you have used really work well; nice solid colours but without looking garish. I have lost three tyres to potholes in the last three or four years, which always necessitates the purchase of two each time to 'keep things balanced', but thankfully I haven't hit any potholes quite as large as that trench. It's not like he wasn't warned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Bad roads and potholes seem to be universal problems.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful addition to the WotR collection Jon. Complaints about potholes seem to be universal....I see them occasionally on BBC reports from the UK, and here, our right leaning government set up a special pot hole helpline guaranteeing to get them attended to within 24 hours after making a song and dance about how poorly maintained the roads were under the previous lefty administration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! We have a pothole hotline here too with promises to fix quickly. The incentive here is that if the pothole has been reported but not fixed in a timely manner and you damage your car, the city could be liable for repairs.

      Delete
  3. A fine looking battle Jonathan. Our roads seem to become like assault courses more and more it certainly makes driving interesting at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil! We have poorly maintained roadways that would fall under your “assault course” definition as well.

      Delete
  4. Great looking units Jonathan. I am looking forward to the parade.

    I don't understand some drivers, going around a road closed sign and then not watching for problems! Although in Sydney they don't trust us and any hole like this would be surrounded by witches hats, five council workers and two young ladies directing traffic. (for some reason it is always young ladies now)

    On a happier note, your post came up as being 6 minutes old so hopefully blogger is back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Ben! Well, not all is OK with Blogger blogroll. I first posted this three hours earlier. Without any sign of it hitting the blogroll, I reverted back to draft and republished. Then, it showed up about an hour later. So, about a four hour lag that had to be nudged along the way. Disappointing.

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking battle,all ready for Ferrybridge! Lovely finish, I look forward to the parade, in Jamaica I got used ti having to drive into and then out of some potholes that were almost the entire width of the road!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! I suppose I could follow norm's lead and brig Ferrybridge to the table. Potholes spanning the entire roadway are nasty ones, indeed!

      Delete
  6. All the best with your rebasing. There seems to be little joy in the rebasing process until all units are done, then relief all is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! Call me strange but I somewhat enjoy rebasing. It is like getting a new army for almost free!

      Delete
  7. Clifford's 'lads' look great, looking forward to the 'rebasing' post.

    In the UK, potholes are a 'national thing' now. Last year the RAC (Royal Automobile Association) reported that the highest motoring repair costs of the year had been related to pothole damage.

    I have just had my Tracking re-calibrated due to pothole induced issues.

    And of course they pose a significant danger to cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you approve, Norm!

      I would not bet against the same statistic here in the Pacific Northwest either. Potholes are a terrible obstacle for cyclists. I speak from experience!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jonathan,

    Outstanding progress on the rebasing project. As Alexei mentions in the comments, those larger bases look fantastic and really give you a proper vignette feel for medieval lines. It must be a great feeling to have the end of the project in sight. Safe riding on those pothole-ridden roads!

    Cheers, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Andy! I like larger bases, in part, because I hate moving around a lot of smaller bases per unit. Since many of my 28mm collections are based for Impetvs and its "diorama" style basing, I stuck to that approach here.

      Delete
  9. Lovely figures, I can see why people are still puzzled by how WotR armies fought with that interesting mixture of different troop types.

    People are always driving through 'road closed' signs around here too, but I've yet to see a car actually go into hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin! It would be educational for to travel back in time to see how armies actually fought throughout history. That would ease a lot of wargamers' minds. I don't often see a car swallowed by a hole, here, either!

      Delete
  10. Great work on the rebasing Jon and I look forward to reading about your reasons why etc:). The trouble is everytime I hear 'Clifford', I can't help but thinking of the eponymous 'Big Red Dog' as our kids loved it way back when;)! As for potholes, nothing that size but plenty of ones to do damage to your tyres, suspension etc:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! Yeah, I remember Clifford the Dog too! This fellow is going to have much more damage than to only tires and suspension!

      Delete
  11. Nice WotR!
    Potholes are a problem / cause of complaint in the UK too.
    Never underestimate stupidity........☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree. Never under-estimate stupidity.

      Delete
  12. Since I'm painting 30-years war, I think that it's important to make the figures colourful without using too many different colours. I hope that it's clear.

    I love your mix of different poses and colours. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your painting and composition assessment, André. We want variation but not to the point of excess and historicity.

      Delete
  13. Fab looking figures Jon!!! I wonder if that driver's English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, he wasn't driving on the left side of the road!

      Delete
  14. Clifford, lovely unit but not a favourite of we Scots. I sued the local council years ago over a pothole, their defence was that if they didn't know about it they couldn't do anything and if they did know about it they were going to so something. I asked for the work sheet, they caved and I got the money back for a burst tire, it took a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, George! I am very pleased to see that you won your case! I will tuck your experience away for future events.

      Delete
  15. Ah, so I'm not the only one who re-bases! Nice looking WotR figures. Oh, and that driver will have an interesting call with his insurance company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean! Yes, I would not want to be making THAT call!

      Delete
  16. Lovely looking troops, Jonathan.
    The driver might be more mindful of road closed signs in future... but how did he not see the huge hole in front of him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard! I was riding in the morning so perhaps the driver drove into the hole before visibility was good? Maybe he thought he could navigate around the hole? Who knows what was going through his mind? Since there was already a small group gathering to take photos, I figured I should keep pedaling.

      Delete
  17. Great job love the little dragon flag very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nicely done Jon, super additions for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Upon reading the post's title, I was expecting a diorama of a large red dog wielding a machine gun or battleaxe. Colour me disappointed. :P

    Battle looks great sir and I'm eager for the parade. Always like seeing others' efforts with WotR projects, but for some reason the topic/era never appealed to me enough to start my own.

    Idiot in a hole.... is an idiot. Driver Licenses are given out far too easily imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to disappoint you, Dai! Next time I mention Clifford, you may see a Big Red dog!

      "Idiot in a hole...is an idiot." So true and so easily avoided!

      Delete
  20. Excellent work on Clifford's battle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice unit (or three) Jon….. as for potholes my garmen cycle computer has started warning me off potholes in certain places I assume somewhere you can upload locations as yesterday I cycled past many hundreds but only got warned of one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt! GPS provides pothole tracking? That is news to me!

      Delete