After the rigorous analysis on what we least like about wargaming, time for a brief update this morning before diving into the first of the Salem Church battle reports. First, a big thank you to everyone who weighed in with their thoughts on their least liked aspects of wargaming. Commentary was robust, interesting, and most welcome.
Given that the GWS 2026 data file hit my Dropbox yesterday, attention will turn to preparing that file for the coming year's analysis. Since I ended the 2025 reporting year examining what we disliked about the hobby, I thought an immediate follow-up with a similar analysis for the 2026 survey might provide an interesting compare and contrast while the 2025 results are still fresh in mind. Will much change? We will see. On a positive note, survey response was up by about ten percent over 2025. A ten percent increase is a welcome bump from a couple of years seeing a slide in participation. In a quick count 17 readers put in the "PWJ2026" code into the survey Comments field. Without confirming, I recall we had 11 such entries last year. Excellent! At some point, I will produce select a set of summary statistics for this august group of dedicated readers.
| A New Project |
An uptick in survey numbers is both welcome and a surprise after the recent decline.
ReplyDeleteYour figures ...... clues;
Project can be done in 10mm and 28mm
You bought metal, so perhaps these are not available in plastic 28mm.
The box is not big, so nothing like tanks etc.
Answer - I think you fancy Napoleonic Peninsular and I claim my five pounds!
Nice try, Norm! I already have Napoleonic Peninsular War in 28mm! Should I bring them out for a battle to prove it?
DeleteIt would be the honourable thing to do!
DeleteAdd a Napoleonic Peninsular War battle onto the backlog of scenarios I want to bring to the table...
DeleteI remembered the code this year, glad the numbers are up, Ive no idea what the project is but youre starting small if theres only 24 figures, Im being good this year after increasing the pile of opportunity by about 800 Napoleonic figures! Looking forward to your AAR!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Good job in remembering the code, Iain! There are 94 figures in the box so a bigger start than you guessed.
DeleteWell good to see an increase in responses compared to last year and, as one of those that used the code, I look forward to seeing if this August group differs and, if so, to what extent etc. As for this shocking repudiation of 10mm in favour of following the great unwashed 28mm fraternity (😉), I'm hazarding a guess at AWI using R&P rules.
ReplyDeleteIf it is any consolation, 10mm would have been my first choice! I already have an AWI British army in 28mm.
DeleteDamn;)! Maybe WWII then...?
DeleteNow you're just guessing...
DeleteGosh! Guess the new project! Here's me thinking you already had every period under the sun! I was first thinking something trendy like the Perry's new Revolutionary war, but you have those and it's not plastic. Then I thought something obscure, but in 10mm and 28mm?
ReplyDeleteMy guess is Spanish Civil War....
Neil
Neil, you are not alone in those thoughts! SCW would have been a good guess, and I would have enjoyed tackling that period in miniature. Alas, that is not it...this time.
DeleteMust be League of Augsburg then! ☺
DeleteNeil
A new project well done that man! Can't guess what it is you have so many bases covered. With you contemplating 10mm it will be a big battles period perchance?
ReplyDeleteI cannot say...
DeleteAs the great, unwashed arm-twister, I would normally be bragging about how great this project will be. But...my plastic starter army is stuck in Customs! So, I may need to piggyback off of Jon's next metal order.
ReplyDeleteBeing a "Metal Head" has its advantages!
DeleteIf I'd only known that US Customs hates UK plastic but loves UK metal...
DeleteIf only...You are early in the project, not too late to change direction.
DeleteAlmost 2 kilos of metal in that parcel!? Craziness. Your postman got a workout delivering that box.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing this year's analysis of the GWS and also that ACW game has me intrigued to find out it's conclusion.
Dai, usually the postman jokes about, "what do you have in there, lead?" My answer is almost always, "Yep!" This time he could see that the box contained metal figures.
DeleteTwo Salem Church games are in the books with two very different outcomes.
Oh, a new 28 mm project??? Waiting for more Jonathan!
ReplyDeleteI put in the code too, so my responses should be in there. I wish I could remember what they were. If you had stuck to 10mm I would have guessed the Crimean War, but I'm less confident now.
ReplyDeleteI too put the code in, but I also have no recollection of my answers. My guess is English Civil War...
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new project, Jonathan!
ReplyDelete