Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Reb Infantry and the Next Game

Having played in Matt's Pitzer Woods skirmish last week (see Action at Pitzer Woods), I figured that it was well past time that I bring my own ACW collection onto the gaming table.  Looking back through the archives, I was shocked to see that the last the 10mm ACW collection saw action was nearly two years ago at Shiloh (see Shiloh: Walking a Tightrope) back in NOV 2024!  I still remember those Shiloh battles vividly.
Not only did Matt's game and my wander through the archives and memory lane spur me to consider bringing an ACW battle to the table, but the archive meanderings motivated me to push some more CSA figures into and through the production line with some determination.
Mustering out from the painting desk today are four, 30-figure CSA infantry regiments.  That is 120 figures providing a big jolt to the painting totals for the year.  I needed that!  Figures are from Old Glory.  With these Rebels marching out, the collection now stands at more than 3,600 figures.  Although a number of Rebel command stands remain in The Lead Pile, I have exhausted the stockpile of marching infantrymen.  At least a a couple of bags will be needed to fill out the remaining command stands.  That situation is not likely to happen any time soon.  There are enough Federal infantry to field another four or five regiments but I am in no hurry to paint those either.  I could get cracking on more cavalry as my numbers are quite small for that arm of service.
What battle is under consideration?  Well, after some research, I have landed on Sedgwick's attempt to outflank Lee at Chancellorsville after having broken out at Fredericksburg.  Sedgwick's VI Corps meets Wilcox and McLaws at Salem Church.  More details are forthcoming as I work through creating a scenario and building the battlefield.  Early work suggests that about half of the 3,600 figures will see action at Salem Church.  I have reread Sears’ brief account of the battle and have a scenario that George (Musings on Wargaming and Life) kindly forwarded to me.  Both provide some good ideas.

46 comments:

  1. Those look great Jonathan. This post appeared quickly or did you have to bump it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! Yes, it appears that this post published in a timely manner.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on those 10mm Jonathan, but shouldn't they be half a painting point each? ☺☺☺☺☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are correct on the Painting Points count. Figure size and varying effort is why I keep two sets of books. One tallies actual figure count. The other adjusts these raw figure counts for figure size (Painting Points).

      Delete
  3. I don’t understand how you can colorize figures on such a scale! I’m 28 mm, and I have a hard time coloring individual elements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting 10mm figures is harder than it used to be for me and my aging eyes.

      Delete
  4. As you know, ACW is not particularly an interest of mine but these figures are a fine piece of work. So much character loaded into what could be quite dull poses and in 10mm too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anthony! I am surprised that you have any interest at all in ACW.

      Delete
    2. Like many of your older readers, I had piles of blue and grey Airfix figures in my youth and read articles on converting them in Airfix magazine. Didn't get much further than that.

      Delete
    3. Some of us "older" readers, never abandoned that phase.

      Delete
  5. Nice work,well done! Ive been converting perry plastic CSA troops into Napoleonic Spanish volunteers, suitably scruffy! Im with Alexie, just 28mm for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh golly: quite impressive production given that the prompt was...impromptu. How long did it take you do do these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I rarely track how long anything takes to complete since I work in short and (often) infrequent bursts.

      Delete
  7. 120 off the painting desk is impressive, 3600 many times so. Looking forward to the day of battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 3,600 accumulated over many years of painting. As you can see, turning out 100 at a time is no trouble and collections can grow quickly. Your Salem Church solo game was what prompted my interest in this battle. So, good job!

      Delete
    2. I did think of that when reading, but wasn’t 100% sure without looking back :-)

      Delete
    3. I had to look back too! I initially thought you offered Salem Church as a PBeM game.

      Delete
  8. Lovely figures, I often wish I committed to 10mm instead of 15mm for my collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! Since this is my only 10mm collection, I could not commit to this scale solely either!

      Delete
  9. 120 figures in one fell swoop, is great work Jon. The figures look fab! I look forward to giving them a run out, remotely in a few weeks time! That's if I'm the Rebs of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! Well, put in your request for command early!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful Jonathan. I purchased a pile of 10mm ACW from Kallistra and really want to get started on them, but just can't find the space in the schedule. As Neil says I wish now I had done more in 10mm as it is a great scale, and funny that the ACW is the only one I too have committed to so far. I am wondering now whether I initially got the inspiration from you. I could see the Crimean War as being another potential candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence! Maybe you got your 10mm ACW inspiration from me? If so, that would be very cool! I have pondered a WSS project in 10mm but I REALLY have too many projects already.

      Delete
  11. Those are looking great looking forward to seeing more... can almost hear the rebel yell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you know how the Rebel Yell sounded, let me know.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful work Jonathan, despite your aging eyes, very impressive the quality and quantity.

    I look forward to the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben! I am working on scheduling a few Salem Church games for September.

      Delete
  13. Look forward to reading the battle report and really looking forward to seeing your ACW collection on the table, I like the OG 10mm strips, they look great en masse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie! The scenario is still in early stages of design and development. I did manage to lay out the table today to get a sense of time and space. This one is much larger than I initially anticipated. I like the Old Glory 10mm strips too and I agree that they look good en masse.

      Delete
  14. A collection of 3600 figures is really impressive. Hopefully your planned scenario works out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jonathan,

    Splendid work! Knocking out 120 figures in one go is a proper boost to the painting tally, and a 3,600-figure collection is an absolute triumph. Old Glory's 10mm strips really give that authentic, massed rank-and-file look on the table. Salem Church sounds like a cracking historical scenario to get them back in action—looking forward to seeing how the battlefield layout develops!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Andy! The Old Glory strips are a good way to build armies quickly. Salem Church ought to provide both armies with opportunities.

      Delete
  16. Lovely figures and I'll look forward to the battle. The fighting near Fredricksberg is an interesting and critical part of Chancellorsville. Every time I've played it (admittedly only a few times) the battle is largely decided by it rather than over at Tabernacle Church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Salem Church is a critical part of the more operational situation at Chancellorsville. When you tackled this battle, did your action cover both Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg on the same table? That would be interesting.

      Delete
  17. Nice work Jon looking forward to your take on Salem Church 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am drawing inspiration from your refight as well!

      Delete
  18. Crikey, 3600 figures! 120 units. S that just Confederates or both?
    Nice looking units anyway.
    Chris/Nundanket

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great additions there Jon and like everyone else, I am mightily impressed by the vast numbers of figures in the ACW collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you.

      Delete