Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Neville's Battle

Despite a steady stream of games and analyses, the painting desk is seeing some activity too.  Some of that activity includes the first WSS French infantry to hit the painting desk.  For today and in a return to increasing the Wars of the Roses numbers, out from the workbench is a 47-figure Battle of Richard Neville, Warwick/Salisbury.
Neville's Battle is arrayed in three battle lines, one each of archers, bill, and MAA.  Figures are Perry Miniatures.  Add one more fighting force to the project!  One more Battle is currently under construction along with a few units from other projects.
On the gaming front, Matt is joining in tomorrow for a remote rematch of our earlier Salem Church clash.  I reckon will we swap sides and see if I can at least match Matt's performance.  That is doubtful!  Still waiting to find some time to chronicle that battle along with another Salem Church game with Vol.  Seems I am running so far behind on the BatRep front I may never catch up!

37 comments:

  1. Boo! Hiss!
    Sorry, the Nevilles were inveterate enemies of the Percy family; loyalty compels me to uphold the ancient feud - I wore the Percy badge for five years (Dukes Grammar School) and was brought up in the Percy heartlands so can't help but be biased!
    Nice job (I suppose...) ☺☺☺☺☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great Jonathan. The banner looks terrific as well. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work Jonathan. A great addition to the collection.

    Will they be hitting the gaming table soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ben! I cannot answer the question as to when these armies will next be out on table.

      Delete
  4. Very nicely done Jon, they look great, look forward to seeing how they do when they get their chance on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated! Stay tuned to see how they do in their inaugural battle.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done as always Jon:)! It reminds me of yet another project that has stalled and is hiding out of sight in one of the many drawers of shame;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve! Many of us have stalled projects, I reckon.

      Delete
  6. A most splendid array of troops! Good luck at church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Facing Matt, I always need some good luck.

      Delete
  7. Splendid work, Jonathan! That's a proper impressive array of Perry figures, and the banner looks grand. Good luck with the Salem Church rematch tomorrow!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy! This is a proper array of Perry figures, isn't it? I will need good luck against Matt!

      Delete
  8. Nicely painted Jon. Love the flags too. You really do live a wargamers dream. How do you fit in sleeping and eating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray! Maybe no dream but it keeps me busy. Sleep is optional...

      Delete
  9. Splendid addition to your War of the Roses project! Ive ended up with loads of painted War of the Roses from my nephew, not that we need them, I must get around to basing them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, if you have loads of painting figures, you might as well dive in and base them for a game. The hard work is already done.

      Delete
  10. Nice work Jon I’ve been thinking quite a bit about WoTR pondering a future project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jonathan,,with all the painting, playing and poll analysis you have presented, a short delay on the battle reports is understandable. Especially when you have produced such neat units.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Battles for WotR always look impressive Jon. This one does not disappoint either. Lovely work and your source for banners as always brings up your units to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Dai! The banners for Neville were from two different sources.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful - that is a goodly sized force (you are a painting demon!) and with another (similar?) on the way, plus with what you have already, your collection must be looking very impressive.

    For 28's, I am presently painting in batches of ..... Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, the collection size has already surpassed what is needed for most battles. The current number of Battles stands at ten with number eleven well on the way. Needed are more cavalry, handgunners, crossbow, and long spear/pike.

      Delete
  14. Great looking figures even though they are enemies of the Percy's

    ReplyDelete
  15. very nice indeed! I particularly like that dusty red/crimson colour you use, is it any particular shade or a mix?

    ReplyDelete