Friday, October 2, 2026

Least-Liked Hobby Aspects: Are Collectors Different?

Do wargamers who are primarily collectors exhibit a different least-liked profile than the general population of Great Wargaming Survey respondents?  This question arose from the previous analysis on what wargamers liked least about the hobby (see The Things We Love to Hate About Wargaming).  Methods and approach can be found in the previous analysis in the link above.  First posed on the Society of Ancients forum by Gavin and then again on Facebook, the question asked, "what do those whose primary interest is collecting find are their barriers to wargaming?"

To identify the population of collectors, I choose only those survey respondents who picked "Collecting the miniatures" as their top choice in the question on what is the best part of the hobby.  Out of the more than 4,000 entries, 512 respondents fell into this sample.  A large enough sample to work with, no doubt.

All Respondents 
As a reminder, the whole survey population showed their least-liked aspects of the hobby fell into four groupings (clusters) as shown in the Figure 1 Principal Component Analysis (PCA).
Figure 1 Clusters
Collectors Only
Looking at the subset of respondents who chose "Collecting the miniatures" as their favorite part of the hobby, the 512 responses produce the following PCA as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2 Clusters
In both analyses, the same key word tokens rise to the top and four clusters emerge.  The difference is that the four clusters see some group shuffling from the clusters seen in the whole population analysis.  
The four clusters and their typologies in the Collectors Only analysis are shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3 Cluster Typology

Access and Time (Find, Time)
In the upper right quadrant, this keyword cluster gathers those respondents not liking the challenges of finding miniatures, opponents, or useful information along with feeling weighed down by the labor and material demands needed to produce armies for gaming.  Perhaps gaming, itself, provides challenges?  Respondents in this group tend to struggle finding hobby things which time pressures compound.  Preparation and painting backlogs can be frustrating.  Notice that "time" migrated from painting/miniatures burden cluster in the overall analysis into the "find" cluster for Collectors Only. 

Social and Culture (People, Competition, Rules_lawyers, Gaming)
In the upper left quadrant, competition and people are closely aligned.  Rules-lawyers, while part of this cluster, produces shows less correlation (shorter vector) that remains closer to the origin.  Respondents in this group seem more dissatisfied by interpersonal friction, overly competitive play, and argumentative rules culture.  Notice that while gaming is included in this cluster, gaming is distinct and somewhat distant from competition and people.  The close proximity to the Dim1 axis suggests that gaming is a common pain point to both Social/Culture and Access/Time clusters.

Burden (Miniatures, Painting)
In the lower right quadrant, the close alignment of miniatures and painting in this cluster highlights the positive association between this pair of keywords.  This distinct material/preparation cluster suggests that respondents in this cluster see assembly and painting, figure quality, and even a massive backlog of unpainted figures as the main source of pain.  It is interesting to note in Figure 2 that there is a direct opposition along Dim1 between Social/Culture dissatisfaction on the left and the Burden dissatisfaction on the right.  In this collector-first group, wargamers who mainly object to competition and gaming culture appear statistically distinct from those mainly troubled by any painting and miniature accumulation burden.

Cost (Cost)
Again, cost arises as an independent factor.  Cost does not align clearly with any one cluster suggesting that financial aspects are common and secondary to all of the groups' least-liked aspects of the hobby.

Summary
Examining this subset of responses suggests that collectors’ least-liked aspects of wargaming fall out into three broad concerns.  The first, sees a difficulty accessing and finding time to pursue the hobby.  The second, sees the burden of painting and owning miniatures.  The third, focuses on dissatisfaction with competitive or socially challenging gaming culture.  Cost is recognized as a complaint but appears less decisive than the other three components. 

The clusters in Figure 3 generally mirror the clusters in the original PCA which examined the whole population.  Having similarity between clusters lends weight to stability of these data.  Seeing migration of some keywords among clusters is especially interesting.  For the collectors' subset, gaming becomes less of a driving issue in any one cluster.  That inference makes sense if your focus is on collecting rather than on gaming.  In Collectors Only analysis, gaming appears a common thread to both Access/Time and Social/Culture clusters.  Rather than finding "people" in the Access/Time cluster as in the broad population study, "people" migrates to the Social/Culture cluster.  Seems people are no longer sought out but to be avoided!  The strongest contrast is between respondents bothered by the hobby’s social/competitive environment and those bothered by its material, preparatory, and practical demands.  How does the hobby lessen these two extreme pain points?

While the Collectors Only group has much in common with the broader hobby results which attempt to qualify the least-liked aspects of wargaming, there are a few subtle but important differences.  If you consider yourself primarily a collector, does your experience align with others who put collecting miniatures first?

32 comments:

  1. I used to be time rich but unable to afford lots of miniatures; now I'm time poor but more able to afford miniatures, although that leads to a lead mountain....
    Storage is a major problem.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youth is wasted on the young. One day, that imbalance will flip.

      Delete
  2. After I went through a (horrible phrase) "goals actualisation" process with the management team at work over a decade ago I discovered that most of the barriers to doing what I wanted in the hobby (apart from lack of talent) were a form of procrastination. Becoming more systematic and identifying behaviours in myself that prevented progress meant that I was able to make progress on projects even when time was restricted. I'd also note that people who don't like rules lawyers are quite often rules lawyers themselves. Also, if a rules writer has written "cavalry move 12" or "cavalry can't cross walls" then that's what they mean. If you don't like it, or don't remember it, your opponent isn't being a rules lawyer for reminding you of what the rules are. If you played chess and moved your rook orthogonally you'd expect to get pulled up on it, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, you are correct on the procrastination front. We could all accomplish a lot more if we used time for efficiently.

      On rules lawyers, we all may hold different definitions as to what actually constitutes "rules lawyering." To me, the definition is specific. That is, someone who argues a rule or only brings up a rule for discussion when that rule brings an advantage to the rules lawyer. That same rule can be overlooked when it does not bring advantage. It is not about seeking the truth but winning in the court of law to gain advantage.

      Delete
    2. I thought chess rooks DID move orthogonally - strange that no one I have ever played has complained!

      Delete
    3. Whoops...any how, what you are describing is just out and out cheating.

      Delete
    4. Then, my definition must be way off!

      Delete
  3. I remember putting collecting as one of the aspects of the hobby I enjoy the most, but can't remember now where I ranked it. Somewhere in the top three but I doubt it would have been first.

    With regard to time I find that I am most productive when it is limited. For example, when I take a couple of weeks off over Christmas and New Years I notice how I'll fritter away the first week but really ramp up my painting efforts the closer I get to returning back to work. At the back of my mind is a concern that when I do retire I may end up not being much more productive than I am now.

    I am happy with my gaming setup because as a group we just seem to click. I do find myself at times wishing at times for a bit of new blood to mix things up a little as we now know each other so well we can often second guess what each other is going to do, but when a new person does come along (even though everyone is very welcoming and patient) there have been certain personalities who just don't gel and disrupts the rhythm of the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence, I considered including the Top 3 best things about wargaming but a follow-up question to the questioner confirmed that only the first choice was wanted.

      I echo your concern on productivity. I figured that when I retired, I would get much more painting accomplished. Turns out that I am getting much more gaming in at the expense of painting. I reckon my overall productivity has slipped a bit since retirement but that's OK.

      Introducing new players into an already established group dynamic is a challenge for us all.

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  4. The conclusion that "people are no longer sought out but to be avoided" reminds me of a Christmas film trailer that I was sent the other day.
    I'm with you, Trebian and Lawrence on the procrastination front. Especially Lawrence, as when the deadline is looming I crack on. It worries, but doesn't surprise me, that this won't change when I retire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I found that result a bit ironic where the whole had trouble connecting with gamers and this subset has trouble avoiding them!

      Looking back after six years of retirement, I wonder how I found time to work!

      Delete
    2. Work, the curse of the gaming class.

      Delete
    3. It sure is but it allows us the resources for a hobby.

      Delete
  5. An interesting read Jon, at this moment in time I am probably more of a collector than anything else due to work commitments, real life etc, but hopefully this will change soon enough. I find my wargaming habits quite fluid depending on time, commitment etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie, glad found this analysis interesting. In last year’s survey, did you put down “collecting the miniatures” as e best part of wargaming?

      Delete
    2. No Jon I think it was actual gaming that I put top but that has just taken a back seat this year.

      Delete
  6. I suspect the answer is a bit primed by the questions posed i.e. does a pure collector really worry about rule lawyers .... or only when asked and offered it from a list of options?

    It's interesting that with wargaming being my prime interest, I am forced into also being a painter and a collector.

    In the board gaming world, at one level, one becomes a collector by default because even if also a player, many titles never reach the table, but are enjoyed as a possession ....... and perhaps with a belief that once retired, they will all get played :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, the original was question asked about the least-liked parts of the hobby. This was a free form question that was open to any response. There was no list to either prompt or pick from. Anything goes. In this analysis, even collectors-first have issues with rules lawyers otherwise that keyword would not have made it through the text mining and data reduction steps. I suppose that I fit the stereotype of your boardgame collector. The difference is that I KNOW that most of my wargames will not reach table even in retirement.

      Delete
    2. Ah free text, that makes all of the difference. One might assume the person(s) referencing rule lawyers must have experienced it in one form or another and it has been enough to dampen their enthusiasm, so perhaps some collectors are 'potential' gamers and other collectors are just true 'collectors'.

      On my very first visit to a club, I was fortunate enough to be taken to one side and given a game by a gentleman, who went out of his way to encourage a second visit - a great ambassador to the club. It DOES matter.

      Delete
    3. Collectors-first can still be gamers. I might fit into that category although I did not put "Collecting the miniatures" as my first choice in the survey.

      Politeness and good manners always matter!

      Delete
  7. Interesting stuff Jon, I enjoy well written competitive rule sets, the sort of thing you can play on a 6x4 in a couple of hours or so. But I also like large historical refights with uneven forces and a more relaxed feel to them. The painting while listening to podcasts etc is really two hobbies in one (and doubt I could do it if it was painting or podcast alone!). There is no aspect I really dislike, the main barrier I have is time to do everything I want (in life generally), which encourages some focused decision and really prioritising wargaming amongst that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! Time is a barrier to most of us, I suspect. I never thought of listening to pods as a hobby and especially not as a dual hobby with painting.

      Delete
  8. An interesting read. I definitely put myself in the gamer section, luckily finding opponents has never been an issue. The dreaded 'rules lawyer' and 'ultra competitive' though can come with it. The more opponents you have the more they will appear. Thankfully they are a little scarce in my current gaming group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see that this analysis was of interest, Neil! Your gaming situation seems in a tranquil place.

      Delete
  9. I suppose I am both - but I would like to think if I had no intention of ever playing another game, I would stop buying figures.... but who knows?!
    I definitely had collecting and painting the figures near the top of my list - it always somewhat surprises me to realise quite a few wargamers actually don't enjoy that part of the hobby.
    I agree with you in the definition of rules lawyers - to use Grahams example - it's the guy who is perfectly happy to have his cavalry jump over a wall but three moves later, points out YOU can't do it and then brushes over the fact HE did it earlier with some throwaway line that he forgot and it's too late to go back now etc. The other thing that grinds my gears is a rules pedant - who has read the rules from cover to cover and knows something is in there but not exactly what, or where, and then insists on wasting ten minutes trying to find it when everyone else is happy to agree a solution and carry on with the game. Yes, rules writers write certain rules for a reason - but if I don't like them and the rest of the people playing the game don't like them, we just ignore it - its not an international sport we are playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I know from comments here, elsewhere, and the GWS that wargamers continue buying and painting figures even when no gaming is on the horizon.

      Good to see that we are in agreement on rules lawyers. As you can see from Graham, above, my definition describes an outright cheat! Like you, if I don't like a rule, I either chang it or ignore it.

      Delete
  10. I was a modeller before I was a wargamer, so a collector I guess, but tbh it is largely a question of opportunity to to play. I had a long fallow period in the 1990s when we had moved to a new city and the kids were little, but eventually I sought out and found like minded gamers again. The "like minded" is important and we all have our own ideas of what a rules lawyer looks like. In my experience they are loud mouthed cheats who revel in an argument. Life is too short to waste time in their company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I. too, began as a modeler so the building and painting came first. Another vote for a rules lawyer as a loudmouthed cheat! I wonder if the definition changes depending upon one's location?

      Delete
  11. I don’t think I put collector at the top although that is for me part and parcel of the hobby and certainly fun and consumes much time and effort. As I have mentioned before the competitive play approach is without doubt my least liked part of the hobby. More specifically using the rules to gain an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Given the size of our collections, how could we not be considered "collectors?" I really have never tried playing in a competition. Refighting historical battles aligns more with my interests.

      Delete