The first Battle of Salem Church is in the books after a short/sharp fight on Monday. How did Sedgwick fare? That is a tale for another time.
Today's post is but a brief update to the Blog List to test that I can follow up with another successful post after having changed my url from "http" to "https". While my url had been "http" since inception, the HTTPS Redirect toggle ensured that my "http" was redirected to "https". Since the populated "Original feed" url in Feedburner is a fixed entity, that redirect may not be honored.
To guarantee that you pick up your own blog in Blog List and that others can find you after using the Feedburner bypass, the Blog List entry in the gadget must match the "Original feed" path in Configure Proxy page. If your Original feed path shows "http" then the Blog List entry must reference "http" as well and vice versa. This works similarly for following other blogs in the gadget. Your url entry in the Blog List gadget must match the author of the other blog's url if that author is using the Feedburner bypass. If another's recent post is not appearing in your Blog List and that person has used the Feedburner bypass, try editing that Blog List entry by changing either "http" to "https" or from "https" to "http".
Clear as mud?
Let's see if PWJ still updates after switching to "https". Yep! Looks good in my Blogroll. How about in yours?
Ahah! that explains why my blog vanished again yesterday after I'd updated everything to https.... thanks, that seems to be working OK again now.
ReplyDeleteThat explains that!
DeleteYes, looking good on my blog list!
ReplyDeleteGood!
DeleteIt's OK, I see the newest one :)
ReplyDeleteGood! Thanks for confirming.
DeleteYep, on mine too and Salem Church is looking good.
ReplyDeleteAll my older stuff was http, the last 6 blogs I added were https - a couple of days ago I converted everything to S, even though my settings have that thing that would convert them anyway.
It seems like when I publish, it is hit and miss as to which blog can see me. I have given up on the http thing and think that I am probably best just leaving everything as https now as that seem to be the modern convention anyway..
You may recall that I thought I had previously done this conversion work, so I wonder if whether over time, the Google thing has (re) amended them? .... or perhaps my memory is shaky in this instance!
Thanks for confirming! Yes, it appears that the HTTP Redirect may be bypassed by this workaround. Once we are all on the same page, we should be fine until Google fixes the issue and the workaround stops!
DeleteWhen you publish via Feedburner using HTTPS as your url, if someone is pointing to your HTTP address, they likely won't see your recent post until they change the url in their Blogroll.
As for shaky memory, I cannot recall!
Looking fine to me Jon.
ReplyDeleteGreat!
DeleteI can see your post in my Reading List. Thanks, Jon. (But most are still not appearing...)
ReplyDeleteThank you for confirming, David!
DeleteLike Steve (below) sadly it has come and then gone again on my Reading List! This whole business is so bizarre... What a mess!
DeleteGlad it's not only me that's had this issue today David!
DeleteI may have done that! I never use Reading List. Opened it today to see my posts, none with thumbnails. A quick search suggested that if lead images are not imported via Google rather than copied/pasted into blogpost then lead images would not appear. Well, I deleted the photo and imported the same photo using import. Yep. The whole post disappeared in Reading List, but the post remains in Blogroll!
DeleteIt is very frustrating, isn't it? We should ask for our money back... Oh, wait... ;-)
DeleteWe get what we pay for!
DeleteUnfortunately, my blog list is still showing your previous post (and I notice that my most recent isn't showing in other blog lists). There are a few other blogs that also are lagging. I think this outage is similar to the comment outage, which seemed to impact certain regions. UK blogs seem to be updating (for instance).
ReplyDeleteEd, have you tried the Feedburner Bypass I suggested in the previous post? Secondly, to see my latest post, go to your Blog List gadget and confirm that my url is pointing to "https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default". I do not see this as region dependent.
DeleteI updated your url in the blog list gadget and it updated to your latest post (thanks). I'll wait a bit under the (perhaps fanciful) hope that the admins at blogger are aware of the bug and will eventually fix it at their level before I try the feedburner bypass.
DeleteExcellent!
DeleteOn my list too. I will lookout for the Salem report
ReplyDeleteProgress!
DeleteJonathan,
ReplyDeleteI think I've managed to get it working once I got around Blogger's interface!
Neil
Good job!
DeleteHmmm, this appeared in my Reading List earlier this afternoon, but it is not showing now. It's seems to be really hit and miss as to which Blogs appear, even those with https. So for the moment I will still have to double check each Blog, rather than anything else. I had an update from the Blogger Community basically saying they are volunteers and doing what they can, but it would appear only Google can truly fix this problem. Not holding my breath though:(.
ReplyDeleteThat is strange.
DeleteI also found an anomaly. I manually changed some blogs to https. Refreshed and went into blog. Some showed latest post (such as yours). However, Bob's Wargaming Miscellany which was still http showed his latest post having appeared near the top. When I changed his to https, refreshed and went back into my blog, it had disappeared further down the list and was showing an older post! I changed it back to http and it reappeared with the later post!
DeletePerhaps the redirect works on some but not all?
Neil
Neil, I don't think this is an anomaly because Bob's Freeburner Original feed must be pointing to his HTTP url. That is why it appears when you reference HTTP in your blogroll and disappears when you reference HTTPS. I noticed the same with Bob's blog. See my recommendation above in the post.
DeleteWell I added a Blog roll to my Blog page last night, to see if that made a difference or not. so checking this morning some posts are showing on this, but not on the Reading List, and vice versa. I converted all the Blogs to https, even though they were showing as http, but I know some had already moved to the https. At least it's progress, but I think I'll still need to check both the Reading List and the Blog Roll for the moment...
DeleteSteve, I was surprised to see that you maintained no Blogroll on your blog until now. Some of the blogs I follow are HTTP so you will miss those in your Blogroll if everyone is set to HTTPS.
DeleteI suppose it never occured to me to have one, as I simply used the Reading List to access stuff. At one point I did have Blogs I follow, I think, but can't be sure. looking at the Blog roll this morning, it shows the Blogs with http and those without. So I've left it at that and switched of the re-direct of http to https. Let's see what happens, but at least Keith's latest post has appeared in both the Blog roll and the Reading List...
DeleteGood! Looks like your blogroll is working!
DeleteLook forward to seeing the game unfold
ReplyDeleteThanks, Neil!
DeleteThe Salem Church game looks great Jonathan and I am looking forward to the report.
ReplyDeleteYour post came up quickly on my blog list so that is good. I am a bit lost regarding the different changes but have tried to follow along and for the first time come upon the Reading List and luckily it shows all/some of the posts I have missed so I will use that as well. I will keep posting and hope it all settles down at some point....although a bit of a worry that Google is relying on volunteers to help troubleshoot. 😮 AI is obviously taking all their resources! 😁
Thank you for all your help and I hope you get back to gaming and painting soon!
Thanks, Ben! You are correct. I feel like much time has been spent troubleshooting the Blogger issues. Luckily, I figured out what was going on and hit upon a workaround that seems to get us through. I posted that I had a workaround on the Google Community Help forum and my previous post has seen a LOT of traffic.
DeleteInspiring set up, Jonathan! I'm motivated to get a game on soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dean!
Delete