Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Iron & Honor: The Art of Knighthood

The medieval knight in armor is one of the most popular figures in the collective imagination. This exhibition brings these legendary figures to life through an exceptional selection of objects from the collection of European weaponry and armor from the Stibbert Museum in Florence, Italy. From battlefields to royal courts, explore the various aspects of the knights’ life including their code of honor, their equipment, their role in military actions and their role in the societies of the Middle Ages. This exhibition provides a rare opportunity for Spokane to get a closer look at the masterpieces of complete suits of armor, helmets, swords, and shields that highlight the incredible craftsmanship of the era’s artisans.

Exhibition organized by Contemporanea Progetti, Italy in collaboration with the Museo Stibbert, Florence, Italy.

As mentioned briefly in the previous post, Nancy and I visited the Spokane Museum of Art and Culture to take in their exhibit on medieval armor from the Stibbert Museum in Florence entitled, Iron & Honor: The Art of Knighthood.
Following is a brief photo tour of some of the items on exhibit from the Stibbert Museum.  Note the intricate engravings and craftsmanship on the armor and especially the helmets.  Besides suits of armor for mounted knights, the exhibit included two examples of pikemen's armor.  Most of the armor originated in Italy and Germany.










Chris asked in the previous post's comments if seeing this exhibit makes me want to get the Italian Wars collection back out onto the gaming table.  The answer is “Yes”, this does stir emotions of developing a scenario and bringing the Italian Wars collection back to the gaming table.  When will I actually jump into action?  Who knows?  I have a number of battles I want to bring to the table first.

53 comments:

  1. Awesome armor! We also have a similar museum in St. Petersburg with a medieval hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps one day I can visit St. Petersburg and its museum?

      Delete
  2. Looks a fascinating exhibition. Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating exhibit, for sure, Alan. We arrived in time to enjoy a talk about arms, armor, tournaments, and knighthood too.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a great exhibition and well done to he museum for organising it. Has it been well-attended?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea about attendance numbers but the museum is never crowded and we visit semi-regularly.

      Delete
  4. Some stunning examples on display there Jon. Some of the helmets look like parade ground armour, due to the intricate nature of the engraving etc. I did my dissertation on helmet design when at Uni (I pity the poor sod who had to read it!), but could be wrong given the passage of time. I was expecting earlier medieval full plate when reading the title, as to my mind that what a 'knight' is, where these seem to be more like that worn by a 'cuirassier'. No matter, it still looks great.

    I suppose I was spoilt as a kid as at the Fitzwilliam museum in Cambridge they had a fully armoured knight on his horse, both in plate, that formed the centre of the section on arms and armour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dissertation on helmets? You are full of surprises, Steve! Yes, some of the helmets are described as ceremonial as worn by civic guard. I agree that the armor is more cuirassier for the mounted and pikemen for the foot. “Knights” used in the title is taken directly from the exhibit.

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures, Jonathan. It's kind of like wargaming porn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is no vice but an educational distraction.

      Delete
  6. Funny how the slightest stimulus gets wargamers distracted and on to a new or old neglected period isn't it? ☺☺☺☺
    Butterflies all...
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jonathan,

    Cracking exhibition report! The intricate detail on those Italian and German suits of armour is incredible. Fully understand the urge to get the Italian Wars back on the table after seeing a collection like that—a proper inspiration!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most splendid thank you for posting the photos for us to enjoy. Regrettably I was unable to get to the Stibbert Museum when we were in Florence 🙁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed Stibbert when I visited Florence too. At the time admission was in excess of 100 euros.

      Delete
  9. Great exhibition, I can understand the pull of the period after viewing a collection like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, the exhibit truly offers up an “Oh shiny” distraction.

      Delete
  10. Like Phil R, I missed out on the Stibbert in Florence . As Steve J says, the "medieval knight" bit in the blurb is rather misleading, but presumably there to draw in ordinary citizens rather than armour experts and wargamers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I reckon the title of the exhibit is to encourage visitors drawn by the vision of knights in white armor.

      Delete
  11. Nice looking photos, not easy under those circumstances, seems like a good exhibition too, my next post is an Italian wars one and Im also painting up another Italian pike block, all great fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Italian Wars for you sounds great! Adding another pike block is an impressive undertaking. How many will this make in your collection? I am pondering expanding my collection to introduce some actual Spanish into the mix. Still deciding which manufacturer to try.

      Delete
  12. some nice complete examples there. When I visited the Tower of London, they had (have) Henry VIII's full armour and it is interesting to gauge his height, which being typical of the day was much smaller than the average person of today.

    Which is the more complete, your Italian Wars armies or Wars of the Roses armies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, Italians Wars collection is larger and more complete by far. My WotR project is small by comparison.

      Delete
  13. Some stunning examples of plate armour

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the tassets of the 2nd last suit are made to look like lamellar armour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jonathan
    What a lovely exhibition! Thank you for a photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My reaction on seeing that first picture was "wowzer!" The rest was pretty impressive too. The penultimate pic reminded me of Michael Caine in the Last Valley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Caine in The Last Valley? I don’t think I have seen that one and I like Caine.

      Delete
    2. The Last Valley is well worth seeking out. I've only seen it once, years ago. For some reason The Thirty Years War isn't a popular subject with film makers.

      Delete
    3. I remember watching it on TV in the 1970s, unfortunately my sisters TV had a fault and turned everyone into dwarfs! Bit bleak but looked good?
      Best Iain

      Delete
    4. If you need to persuade Nancy to watch it, it also has Omar Shariff!

      Delete
  17. It is beautiful work on the armour Jonathan. It is amazing how they combined the artistry with the requirements of combat and how armour designs went through various fashions and styles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some superb looking armour Jon, such workmanship, really top notch and certainly makes one want to get some figures on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Donnie, although my return to Italian Wars gaming must wait.

      Delete
  19. Wow that is superb workmanship. You can see why Italian armour was so highly sought after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craftsmanship is really superb, isn’t it? Italian and German armor were valued, for sure.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for taking us along on the virtual tour-- arms and armor displays like this are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Yes, who among us is not inspired by an arms and armor disply?

      Delete
  21. I love the shape of the helmets. Thank you so much for presenting all those photos of excellent armor. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These suits of armour are so intricately decorated. Looks pretty, but I'd hate to be the owner who spent so much just to have all that lovely etching be dented, scratched and pierced in battle.
    Lovely looking museum though, thanks for sharing the pics Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the pieces are intricately detailed, indeed. Some are likely ceremonial. Glad you enjoyed the photo tour of the exhibit.

      Delete
  23. An impressive display of late Medieval/Renaissance armor; well worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete