Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2026

Bring In The Cache Buster!

By now, we are all familiar with the issue.  Blogger's Blogroll gadget refuses to reliably pick up and publish the latest post.  I first encountered this issue back in May when I posted a short update at PWJ: Testing.  In May, this was an occasional issue with variable lags but not too long.  There were a few workarounds that seemed to lessen the burden and at least one of these techniques worked, most times, to force a repolling of Blogger's Blogroll gadget.

That situation has changed to a worse case as witnessed by blogs now seeing multi-day delays in the most recent post appearing in Blogroll.  Very frustrating.  None of the temporary "methods" I used in the past to jog the gadget into action seemed to work.  Blogger's Community has seen a growing number of complaints that I first referenced in response to a comment in PWJ: Fourteen Years of Marching Through History.  That reference pointed to New posts not showing on Reading List.  This issue holds for the Blogroll gadget as well.  One respondent laid blame on pasting formatted text into a blog post for this failure to update.  A more likely explanation is that the Reading List or Blogroll displays a cached or stale feed rather than the feed from the most recent post.  The latter explanation seems the most reasonable conclusion since current posts still appear in the daily Feedspot Today email and Feedly Reading List remains current.       

Responses in the community note, above, suggest clearing the cache.  Now, “Clearing the cache” can mean two different things, and it is important not to confuse them.  The response suggests clearing your browser cache.  Clearing the browser cache or viewing the blogsite in a private/incognito window is a good way to make sure you are seeing the current version of your own blog.  This is useful for validating whether a change made to the Blogroll gadget has appeared publicly without cache contamination by your local browser.

In the current state of affairs, Blogger’s feed cache is, again, the more likely culprit.  Blogger keeps its own cached copy of the feeds used by the Blogroll gadget.  
Blogroll gadget sometimes holds on to an old copy of a blog’s feed.  Therefore, the gadget does not always notice a new post promptly even though the post was published correctly.  This condition is reinforced by seeing that many Wordpress blogs continue to show recent updates.  What we really need to do is bring out the heavy equipment and bust through the Blogroll cache that is holding back more recent posts.

One workaround is to use Google's own Feedburner's version of the blog’s feed.  Feedburner acts as a middleman.  It takes a fresh copy of the blog’s feed and provides a different feed address for the Blogroll to read.  That is why the Feedburner approach can be useful.  On the Feedburner page, your blog should be listed under "Your feeds."  Clicking on the three dots next your feed brings up a dropdown with "Refresh feed."  This choice forces Feedburner to fetch the current feed again.  If your Blogroll points to the Feedburner URL, it may retrieve the refreshed Feedburner version rather than relying on Blogger’s stale copy of the ordinary blog feed.  Now to be clear, PWJ still references the ordinary blog feed url in Blogroll.  That is, 

http://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

An alternative option that works for some is

http://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

After publishing a new blogpost, open Feedburner website and click on "Refresh Feed."  That click ought to set the refresh in motion.  The key to remember is that Blogger’s Blogroll can still have its own cache. Resetting Feedburner cannot force Blogger to clear that cache or trigger Blogroll to poll immediately.

Note Very Well!
Do not rely on Feedburner as though it is a guaranteed repair.  Feedburner does not give you control over Blogger’s internal Blogroll cache.  This technique is best viewed as a practical workaround and not as a definitive solution.  Blogger still needs to resolve this issue.  Good practice to back up before making changes like this and test results.  Of course, YMMV.

If you give this a try, report back with your results.  If I see recent blogs popping up in my Blogroll, I will bet that some of you gave this workaround a try.  This technique worked for allowing PWJ to appear in Blogroll with its current and timely post, but I make no guarantees that this maneuver will work for everyone.  Enter these waters at your own risk!

39 comments:

  1. Worked again and with about a two-minute repolling delay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post came up on my first visit to my blog today with a 1 hour ago note so definitely working Jonathan.

      Delete
    2. I tried it and it worked. Came up on your blog in 28 seconds 😂 yay!

      Delete
  2. Tried it just now and get "Can't Force Refresh The Feed" ! Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google AI mentioned the Feedburner solution to me but I couldn't get it to recognise my Blog as a valid feed even though another checking tool couldn't find a fault with it. I just tried it again following your steps above and still no luck. As they say, it is the hope that kills you.

    Glad to see it seems to be working for others though, and all your other fixes to do with thumbnails etc. have always worked for me as well. I'll just have to wait until Blogger can fix things although it is starting to feel more and more like an unsupported product with the constant variety of things that are going wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the time it takes to fix them.

      Delete
    2. I wonder why your feed is considered invalid? What feed are you using?

      Delete
    3. My feed doesn't show up by default in Feedburner so I tried clicking on the create proxy button and copying in the https address into the feed URL, which is when it returns an error. It must be a URL error as with Michal's below, but all I am doing is copying and pasting. Are you feeling like a help desk yet? Google should be paying you.

      Delete
  4. It work Jonathan!
    Just simply refresh feed :)
    For the past few days, I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do (without waiting for help from Google).

    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't work for me, or something. My entry appeared on my list (I added it as a test), but I don't see it on yours, for example. Hmm. I'll wait and see.

      Delete
    2. I see that your most recent post appeared in your blogroll but not mine. That’s something, at last, but I wonder why that would be? What are you using for your original feed path in your blogroll?

      Delete
    3. Your recent post comes up in my blogroll now! I had your url as “http” and not “https”. Changed to “https” and now it works!

      Delete
    4. Great! Thank you for a help Jonathan!

      Delete
    5. Although I do wonder, since yours was the only one that updated. There are no updates on other sites or blog lists :))

      Delete
    6. Others may not have the correct url.

      Delete
  5. Well this worked for you but, as seen above, I got the same 'can't force refresh feed' message. The /?alt+rss is what the Blogger Community suggests too, but when I tried to follow their instructions, my Blog didn't have the requisite tabs they were talking about:(. So we will have to struggle on with this issue until they sort it out at their end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you open feedburner and select Configure proxy, what do you show as Original feed? I would try the “ /feeds/posts/default” extension first. “/?alt=rss” has not consistently worked for me. Also check your site feed settings in “Settings”.

      Delete
    2. Well it seems to have worked now! For some reason it was showing my old Blog (Wargaming Addict) and not my current one. Adding the current one to the "/feeds/posts/default" seems to have at least allowed it to 'refresh the feed'. Only time will tell...

      Delete
    3. I also changed the 'redirect http to https' in the Settings as well, in case that helped...

      Delete
  6. Thank you Jon, I did a refresh on Feedburner and after some minutes the blogroll on my own blog updated to show my latest post. It had not updated on your 'favourite content creators' yet, but perhaps needs a little more time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Success on my blogroll too! Like in Michal’s case, I had your feed as “http” rather than “https”. Changed and presto! There you are.

      Delete
    2. I see it on your blog too - many thanks for the work-around!

      Delete
    3. First of all Jonathan, thanks very much for leading the way on getting a fix and it is good to see that it is pulling some blogs through. Last night I came within nano moments of hitting the Nuke button! ... really!

      I have tried your fix and it doesn't seem to work for me. The Feedburner for whatever reason only finds my Commanders site, so I enrolled and followed my own blog tries again and it didn't work.

      Then in feed burner I tried the 'CREATE' feature and that hasn't worked.

      I may just need to step back and have some more coffee, but your ray of hope at the very least will keep me away from dumping Blogger for a while longer.

      An interesting aside for me is over the past 24 hours, accepting that Blogger is goosed, I stayed away from the screen and actually found myself with time on my hands to do other things! sometimes a behaviour refresh is quite revealing!

      Delete
    4. EDIT - I can't understand why, because all my Feedburner requests had error codes, but I am now showing on my own Blogroll .... but no-one elses!

      Delete
    5. I see your post in my blogroll now. Success!

      Delete
    6. EDIT 2 ..... Oh ¶§∞¢#€!!!! there it is, now on your Blogroll, but I can't see how since my Feedburner attempts failed. Perhaps following my own blog has helped!

      Delete
  7. Thanks Jonathan. I've ust tried the Feedburner thing but I'm too clueless to figure out how to check it worked! Hopefully my last post will appear now. l can see Norms on DBN now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you doing public service blogging support! It'll be a week before I do another post and who knows, maybe the horse will sing, if not I'll try your workaround!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well after several attempts (error messages) I've tried and published a test message.
    I know you had already seen my latest post as you commented, but I cannot see my blog on anyone's feeds....
    Perhaps it needs a lie down first; I know I do......☺☺☺☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to have worked for me?

    ReplyDelete