Pages

Monday, August 31, 2026

Never Hurts To Ask!

I have a weakness for operational wargames of the hex-and-counter type.  While WWII miniatures games do not often get a showing out on my gaming table, my favorite boardgames tend to cluster within the WWII operational genre focusing on a single campaign.  With this apparent vulnerability, I am regularly on the lookout for some of my favorite series.  One such series is Clash of Arms' Winter Storm.  The third volume in this series is the 1989 game, Edelweiss, which provides a study of the third phase of Case Blue in the June 1942 offensive into the Caucasus.

Now, I already have a copy of Edelweiss.  Still, when an unpunched copy popped up on eBay last year with a very low opening bid, my interest was piqued.  Why such a low opening bid?  Well, the game has some damage listed of the slight mildew variety.  The photos illustrated the mildew on one of the counter sheets, but the other counter sheets looked unblemished.  Figuring I could, at least, use most of the parts from the game, I committed to the opening bid.  Besides, there was a chance that I could mitigate the damage to that one counter sheet.  When the auction ended with no other bids, my opening bid turned out to be the winner.
Damaged counter sheet
When the game arrived, sure enough, there was damage to the German counter sheet.  There was no musty smell, though.  That was a good sign.  I tried treating the mildew, but my efforts proved unsuccessful.  Not all of the counters showed damage so this could still provide a player's copy as a spare.  I boxed it up and set in on the shelf.
New, shrinkwrapped counter sheet
On a whim and something of a Hail Mary attempt, I sent an email to Clash of Arms last month stating my situation and wondered if there was any chance that a spare German counter sheet was tucked away somewhere in the warehouse.  Next day, I received an email from the company saying that it was my lucky day as there was, indeed, an extra counter sheet in the warehouse.  The new counter sheet could be on its way for $8 plus nominal shipping.  Hooray!  That was my lucky day!  Although the game is more than 35 years old, it never hurts to ask.

What about last week's scheduled run out of the Salem Church scenario as an introduction to both remote gaming and the rules?  Well, I was forced to cancel Monday's session as I was involved in a minor car crash that afternoon.  I escaped unscathed but the car is somewhat banged up.  We rescheduled our session for Friday evening.  Guess what?  We never managed to play a single turn or even turn the cameras toward the table.  We spent the entire two-and-a-half hours discussing the potential for a new, joint miniatures project.  I know, some are probably laughing at the thought of me tackling yet another project.  Don't I have too many as it is?  Yes, but the sales pitch was convincing.  Could I squeeze in one more?  Almost certainly.  We will see where this goes.

44 comments:

  1. Well... that post bounced about all over the place! Sorry to hear about the accident but pleased only the car suffered any ill effects! A new project - of course you have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bounced around, like me in the car! No, not really. The accident was minor. Of course you would say I have time for another project! Hope you are feeling better.

      Delete
  2. Good to hear the only damage was to the car, and what good luck to get that spare counter sheet after all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, indeed, on both counts but I would have preferred avoiding the accident altogether.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you're unhurt Jonathan.
    Chance enquiries often pay off - it does indeed not hurt to ask.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was lucky to be able to get the replacement counter sheet. Sorry to hear about the accident but at least you are ok. Look forward to seeing the new project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, for sure! Very happy to have a pristine replacement counter sheet for this game. If the new project moves forward, you will see details here.

      Delete
  5. Jonathan, Your post was short but full; I also am glad you are unharmed by your accicident.. The games relay sounds like the on off nature of our local games over the last few months..
    And of course , I am among those anxiously awaiting details of your new venture.
    Ypue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too short? I thought this made a good update in between some of the longer posts. And, this provided an unscientific test to see if post length had any effect on publishing delay.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the gibberish at the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for returning to the scene, Joe! I was trying to puzzle out your ending acronym.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, I did not mean to suggest this post was lacking in length. Succint would have been the better choice of words. I am afraid that the garbage entries at the end of a lot of my posts are the detritus of fighting the " help " of AI. Of course the time of replying -'what I used to call the middle of the night is likely to blame.

      Delete
    3. The timing of replies affects my coherence too! As for autocorrect, it compromises the best of us.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear that you survived the accident. Do hope the car can be mended too. A good result from your enquiry too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! Car can be mended. Good thing since it is my favorite. I drop it off at the repair shop this morning.

      Delete
  8. Bummer on the car accident! Excellent pick up on the hex and counter front, I know only too well the pull for picking up grand old titles (and scoring the spare counter sheet: "Double Plus Good!" as they say in Oceania).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a bummer, for sure on the car front but a good score on the boardgame front.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about the car crash Jon. It least it was only the car that was damaged and not you! The game sounds interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! The Winter Storm series is an excellent model of WWII operational campaigning.

      Delete
  10. Like others, I'm glad your accident was minor. And its quite refreshing to know that sometimes you can be lucky with old products and just reach out to companies and find they are supportive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated! Quite refreshing to find support still exists for these older games.

      Delete
  11. Glad the car accident was minor, youve got to be lucky sometime! Of course you can do another project, he says as generous as ever with someone elses time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! Yes, very easy to commit someone else’s time and money.

      Delete
  12. Sorry to hear about the accident Jon, but good to know you are all OK:). Nice that you were able to get a new replacement counter sheet for the game. Well your potential joint venture sounds intriguing and I look forward to hearing more about it in due course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Yeah, no harm to me. Getting the counter sheet was a real bonus.

      Delete
  13. Who would have even thought that a spare counter-sheet might be available after all this time - good outcome and well worth asking the question. It does make me think that the Clash of Arms warehouse must be a very interesting place.

    Of car accidents, someone once said to me that cars are only property and that as long as people are not injured, it remains a problem just about property.

    As for a new project, I am intrigued by a conversation that has enough enthusiasm to replace an entire gaming session, so I was going to say Baron Wars (very popular at the moment), but it sounds like it might be bigger than that and so I am wondering whether that is because there will be a campaign element to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Who would have thought that one of the sheets is still around and can be found. It would be fun to see what else is laying around the warehouse.

      True. A car is property, but I really like this car, and I am very happy that it sustained only minor damage and can be repaired.

      The project, if it proceeds will be explained in due time. Not Barons' Wars, though, so you can cross that off the list.

      Delete
  14. Glad you are ok following the crash. Still, cars can be replaced, you can't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That company's stock control system must be excellent even if they might be a organisation, showing they had spares in stock and where to locate it. Glad to hear the car accident was only minor. Of course now you'll have the fun of waiting for parts to arrive, if needed. The new project is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised to see a “yes, we have that counter sheet” pop into my email. Parts for repairs are in the shop and I dropped off the car this morning. Hopefully, I have it back in a week.

      Delete
  16. Glad to hear you are Ok from the accident Jonathan. Always distressing events even if no harm done to people.

    Very lucky regarding the counter sheet. I bet your eBay seller is cursing his lack of initiative in not checking with Clash of Arms.

    Will we get a AAR when Edelweiss hits the table? 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I came away uninjured. My car didn’t suffer too badly either. I am not sure that a boardgame would make an interesting replay for figure gamers. Besides, Edelweiss is a large and long game. I will consider it. Might make an enjoyable distraction over the winter months.

      Delete
  17. Sorry to hear about your accident Jon but good news you are fine. Never seen this game before, looks an interesting one. A new project? Always good to see new projects, look forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie! A new project seems to be gathering steam. The difficulty is that the two of us schemers are separated by a large distance until my compadre moves up north.

      Delete
  18. Wow! That is incredible luck! And incredible stock organization!? I once contacted a company about a game that was less than ten years old that was missing counters - that I'd bought new, still in shrink wrap and they said NOPE!

    I've never played it or any of the game in the series, but I clearly remember it being on the shelf at the Wizards Corner - a game store I worked at in the late 80s/early 90s. For some reason it always caught my eye. Probably the combination of that bright green and the rappelling Gebirgsjäger. Not a common subject for a game box cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very eye-catching box art, isn’t it? The box has always drawn my attention too. Yes, the new counter sheet was a terrific score.

      Delete
  19. Glad you're okay. Another project is intriguing, is it a contained idea or a sprawling never ending kind of project?
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen! Now, when is a project in the formative stage (or ever) a contained idea? Mine tend toward sprawling, always.

      Delete
  20. Looks like an excellent game Jonathan, and what a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a worthwhile system to consider. This and MMP's OCS series are my favorite operational WWII systems.

      Delete
  21. Glad to hear that you are okay, despite damage to the car. It costs nothing to ask - no question = no answer.
    Always nice to contemplate a new project.

    ReplyDelete