Not that every wargaming blogger is a star, but the title of this post is a nod to The Buggles’ 1979 song, Video Killed the Radio Star. Who, among us, still remembers the first time we saw this music video on MTV? I knew right then that I wanted to subscribe to MTV. Unfortunately, cable was not available in my area. Much like MTV did for music, AI search is changing the landscape for bloggers. Is this the next step in media evolution with no turning back?
Having experienced pageviews climbing to unbelievable heights of up to 100,000 views a day, and keyword searches dropping to near zero, something has definitely changed in the search environment. In my own search for answers, the article, Search Engines Are Dead: How AI is taking Over the Internet, from March of 2026 popped up in the results. Briefly, the article points out that AI is changing search, its process, and results. One problem for bloggers wanting increased visibility to their writings is that AI search often does not convert search results into visits. Directed traffic from search engines is falling by the wayside. Today, readers must be given a reason to click through directly to a post. While AI search may reduce clicks, your name, blog link, and unique perspective could still come through in the summaries and citations. At least most AI summaries still provide citations of works used. Reduced traffic often leads to reduced reader engagement. Reductions in visits and engagement support the conclusion of many that blogging is a dying media art form. Compounding this dilemma is the recent feature of seeing large delays in posts appearing in blogrolls. If no one reads your contributions, is the effort worthwhile? Of course, visits and reader engagement may not be a driving reason for why one blogs.
In today's rapidly evolving environment, search engines increasingly try to answer questions without sending anyone back to the original sources. Gathering and synthesizing the collective wisdom of the internet, AI generates summaries to answer the question posed. Type in a wargaming question and the search result may now return a brief answer without requiring the researcher to visit a single blog site. For people who have relied upon Google search engine to send strangers to their posts, this new state can be somewhat troubling. Are wargame bloggers doomed by AI's interventions? Lately, I have been thinking about the gloomy claim that AI may be killing blogging and, with it, the motivation to blog.
Wargaming blogs are vulnerable to the rise of AI search because many of the most common topics are searchable in a way that suits AI. Rules clarifications, historical overviews, army organization, paint choices, figure choices, and beginner advice are all useful, but they are also highly compressible into summaries. If a post offers little more than the expected answer, then it can be flattened into a summary with almost no loss of content. On the other hand, a blog post does not necessarily have to be merely an answer to a search. It can be an argument, a battle account, a project record, a warning, an opinion, or simply an enjoyable report from somebody else’s tabletop. Nobody really needs an AI summary of the fact that I painted another twelve figures. Readers visiting the blog, however, may enjoy seeing how the figures came out once painted and based, learning which paint scheme was used, how this unit fits into the project plan, or reading why I abandoned the original basing plan halfway through.
By offering more than a simple answer to a query, wargaming blogs hold an advantage over AI. Wargaming blogs are built on things that AI cannot (yet!) convincingly fake or manipulate at scale. Some of the tasks that AI has yet to master include photographs of actual miniatures, handmade terrain, battle reports emphasizing different tactics and decision-making choices, and historical research as seen through the eyes of a particular hobbyist’s judgment. A good wargaming blog does not solely rely on delivering information. It also provides evidence of going practice, planning, commitment, point of view, thoughtful commentary, persistence, and accomplishment. That distinction matters. Readers can find generic advice anywhere from search, but they come to a "real" hobbyist's blog for the thing that only a real, practicing wargamer can provide. A practicing wargamer can offer a sense that the writer has actually moved figures across a table, given thought to the exercise, and, perhaps, learned something in the process.
The risk for the blogger is not that an AI system will suddenly make a reader lose interest in painted armies, historical scenarios, or reports from a remote game. The risk is more subtle. Much more subtle. AI is making it easier for readers to obtain a quick, generic answer without ever visiting the source that did the interesting (and often considerable) effort in the first place. AI is killing "Lazy discoverability."
What is “Lazy discoverability?” It encompasses the habit of writing for search engines instead of writing for readers. This technique produces posts that are technically discoverable but not especially memorable. Bloggers may operate under the misguided assumption that one can put a reasonably competent post on the internet, include a few likely search terms, and expect search engines to do the rest. Even before AI algorithms came to dominate search, that model was always rather fragile and suspect. AI simply makes the weakness harder to ignore.
Having experienced pageviews climbing to unbelievable heights of up to 100,000 views a day, and keyword searches dropping to near zero, something has definitely changed in the search environment. In my own search for answers, the article, Search Engines Are Dead: How AI is taking Over the Internet, from March of 2026 popped up in the results. Briefly, the article points out that AI is changing search, its process, and results. One problem for bloggers wanting increased visibility to their writings is that AI search often does not convert search results into visits. Directed traffic from search engines is falling by the wayside. Today, readers must be given a reason to click through directly to a post. While AI search may reduce clicks, your name, blog link, and unique perspective could still come through in the summaries and citations. At least most AI summaries still provide citations of works used. Reduced traffic often leads to reduced reader engagement. Reductions in visits and engagement support the conclusion of many that blogging is a dying media art form. Compounding this dilemma is the recent feature of seeing large delays in posts appearing in blogrolls. If no one reads your contributions, is the effort worthwhile? Of course, visits and reader engagement may not be a driving reason for why one blogs.
In today's rapidly evolving environment, search engines increasingly try to answer questions without sending anyone back to the original sources. Gathering and synthesizing the collective wisdom of the internet, AI generates summaries to answer the question posed. Type in a wargaming question and the search result may now return a brief answer without requiring the researcher to visit a single blog site. For people who have relied upon Google search engine to send strangers to their posts, this new state can be somewhat troubling. Are wargame bloggers doomed by AI's interventions? Lately, I have been thinking about the gloomy claim that AI may be killing blogging and, with it, the motivation to blog.
Wargaming blogs are vulnerable to the rise of AI search because many of the most common topics are searchable in a way that suits AI. Rules clarifications, historical overviews, army organization, paint choices, figure choices, and beginner advice are all useful, but they are also highly compressible into summaries. If a post offers little more than the expected answer, then it can be flattened into a summary with almost no loss of content. On the other hand, a blog post does not necessarily have to be merely an answer to a search. It can be an argument, a battle account, a project record, a warning, an opinion, or simply an enjoyable report from somebody else’s tabletop. Nobody really needs an AI summary of the fact that I painted another twelve figures. Readers visiting the blog, however, may enjoy seeing how the figures came out once painted and based, learning which paint scheme was used, how this unit fits into the project plan, or reading why I abandoned the original basing plan halfway through.
By offering more than a simple answer to a query, wargaming blogs hold an advantage over AI. Wargaming blogs are built on things that AI cannot (yet!) convincingly fake or manipulate at scale. Some of the tasks that AI has yet to master include photographs of actual miniatures, handmade terrain, battle reports emphasizing different tactics and decision-making choices, and historical research as seen through the eyes of a particular hobbyist’s judgment. A good wargaming blog does not solely rely on delivering information. It also provides evidence of going practice, planning, commitment, point of view, thoughtful commentary, persistence, and accomplishment. That distinction matters. Readers can find generic advice anywhere from search, but they come to a "real" hobbyist's blog for the thing that only a real, practicing wargamer can provide. A practicing wargamer can offer a sense that the writer has actually moved figures across a table, given thought to the exercise, and, perhaps, learned something in the process.
The risk for the blogger is not that an AI system will suddenly make a reader lose interest in painted armies, historical scenarios, or reports from a remote game. The risk is more subtle. Much more subtle. AI is making it easier for readers to obtain a quick, generic answer without ever visiting the source that did the interesting (and often considerable) effort in the first place. AI is killing "Lazy discoverability."
What is “Lazy discoverability?” It encompasses the habit of writing for search engines instead of writing for readers. This technique produces posts that are technically discoverable but not especially memorable. Bloggers may operate under the misguided assumption that one can put a reasonably competent post on the internet, include a few likely search terms, and expect search engines to do the rest. Even before AI algorithms came to dominate search, that model was always rather fragile and suspect. AI simply makes the weakness harder to ignore.
For hobby blogging, especially wargaming, lazy discoverability offers the possibility of entrapment because the work can become optimized toward being found instead of being worth reading. AI search systems are very good at compressing those posts into a summary, which means the original blog gets less of the reward while the reader has less reason to click through.
A blog post ought to offer more than a summarized answer to a question. Bloggers should emphasize depth and personal experience that no summary can replicate. A good wargaming blog provides an archive of accumulated effort. This is an asset and body of work that cannot be replaced by an AI summary.
If the wargaming blogger wants to avoid being crushed under the jackboot of the Machine, is there anything we can do to connect into this rapidly evolving situation? The post linked to above offers some suggestions for adapting to AI. I explore some of these options using my humble perspective of the PWJ and my nearly fourteen years of tapping out posts. Where does PWJ succeed? Where can improvements be made? The answers may depend upon reader engagement!
AI has not killed the blogger star. As with radio, there is still a place for blogging, at least for me, and I am no star.
Wow - I did not think I would be first to comment, Jon - given I read this over 12 hours ago and it did seem to be on your Blog roll almost immediately.
ReplyDeleteNow, it was 530am when I read it and I have not gone back over it a second time, but the jist of it, to me, was that Bloggers might miss out on visitors because if they Google, "Samurai Era Wargame", for example, an AI will "get in the way" and stop them finding your blog and visiting it themselves?
That is not a concern to me and would play no part in my decision on whether blogging was still a worthwhile activity. As long as I get 30+ comments (including my answers) on my posts, I am happy.
I try to make sure I visit and comment on all "the regulars" and hope they will do the same for me in return - that's all I need. If you suddenly stopped commenting on my posts, I would be slightly miffed and wonder why - but I would carry on posting regardless.
I think most of my posts "emphasize depth and personal experience that no summary can replicate" i.e. they are about what I have painted or games I have played - I never write in depth reviews or rules etc - so I don't think my ramblings are at much risk of being summarised by Gemini or Co Pilot!
DeleteKeith, you are the first responder after a long delay because this post has yet to appear on many blogrolls. It only appeared on my blogroll and Mark’s due to manual intervention.
You have great reader response to your posts, Keith, but those are mostly from regulars are they not? AI search is likely getting in the way of new readers discovery in your blog.
If a blogger’s posts focus on depth and personal experience then AI summaries ought to have less impact.
Nice discussion point Jonathan. Despite the Blogger issues (although my last post published literally within ten seconds of clicking publish) I'll keep blogging regardless of AI and I am not convinced that it is the end of blogging or of search engines. I look at AI just as another tool that is more an evolution rather than a revolution.
ReplyDeleteI have used AI a bit of late and found it particularly useful for image manipulation - what would take me half an hour or more to do with Photoshop (and I have good skills with that application) can be achieved in less than a minute.
My greatest use has been for translating foreign language texts. Where electronic translations of the past would capture the words correctly but not the grammar leaving an incomprehensible babble, AI does a very good job at creating a readable text. In fact one of the last projects before I retired was the translation if a living document into multiple languages and we used AI to do this. It did a great job with which the native speakers could find only a few minor errors, none of which impacted intent.
On another occasion I asked an AI tool to write a 5000 word paper on Russian Napoleonic infantry tactics. It did a great job until about 4000 words in it began to discuss T34 tanks and air defence systems.
I also used it recently when researching details to build the models of McPherson Farm and the Hartwell Tavern. While it found a lot of useful information it also found a fair amount that was clearly not correct, but being promoted as fact.
I also know that an error that I published on my blog then later realised it was wrong, was picked up in an AI search and reported as fact.
So my view is that it is a useful tool, but always check the references.
Thanks, Mark. Blogger issues continue with this post. After nearly 24 hours, it still has not appeared on most blogrolls. I just republished to give the blogroll feeder a kick. We will see if that works!
DeleteI agree that AI is a useful tool and as you say, trust but verify.using AI to translate foreign texts is a good use case. I am going to put that on my list of things to try. Ai is good at creating images when instructions are explicit. I have wondered if errors promulgated in a post would be picked up by AI and delivered as fact. Your experience confirms that. Thank you!
Jonathan, I hope you are well clear of the fires around Spokane. Some of my relatives north of the border have been evacuated, but we haven't heard if they are OK yet.
DeleteThanks, Mark. The fires in the city were mainly north of the river, and we are in the south part about seven miles from the nearest fire. Whole neighborhoods have been destroyed, and I believe some neighborhoods are still under evacuation orders. I saw a count of 70,000 people evacuated due to fire in Spokane.
DeleteTrevor Horn, saw him play it a few years ago at a folk festival, very good! Like Keith Ill propably keep chuntering along and check out the blogs of people who comment, my daughter is doing search engine optimisation as a job for at least some of the week, when shes not training AI to replace her on her other job, so I dont worry and blithely cintinue!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Thanks, Iain! Blithely continuing is a comforting path.
DeleteI hadn't thought of that but you might be on to something. I've always thought it was Facebook that was killing off blogs and blogging.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jim! There are likely a number of entities contributing to the demise of blogging including FB.
DeleteA very thought provoking post Jon. I’ll have to read the article that you linked to, to fully understand the context.
ReplyDeleteMy own way of dealing with this challenge is to post drivel that could only come from a human 😉. Seriously though, I will have to a good think about this.
I regard AI as a very keen, intelligent but ignorant personal assistant. Capable of some rapid and impressive work, but often including errors. I watch a lot of YouTube these days instead of TV, but if I see ‘artwork’ created by AI I usually stop watching because as sure as day turns to night, the images won’t have been checked and that makes me think the rest of the content won’t be worth my time or will have questionable content.
Incidentally I first saw this post after 17:00 BST on 11 August. I didn’t see it this morning or yesterday.
Chris/Nundanket
Thanks, Chris! Very clever of you to only post human-made drivel! Since I rarely watch anything on YouTube, I have no idea the extent to which AI has crept into the picture.
DeleteThe nearly 24 hour delay in this post being picked up by the feed is maddening.
A very interesting post. I agree with how AI is replacing search engines, while the summaries it provides are helpful it does miss what a blogger can provide. Step by step instructions on how they made a particular building or wargames table with the visuals to follow.
ReplyDeleteWill AI kill blogging? Potentially, if people stop reading posts, folk will give up and Google will see the drop in traffic and may just pull the plug
Glad you found this post of interest, Neil. The article linked to above cites that search traffic to small publishers has dropped 60% and 80% of Google searches end without a click to the source. If people stop providing content for these AI search engines, the house of cards collapses.
DeleteHi Jon, good post that is very thought provoking and something that I have witnessed (as a searcher), but not appreciated that the summary is putting itself between the researcher and the source (blogger in our case) to such an effective degree.
ReplyDeleteAI is often (always) judged on how it performs now, but its advances are rocketing and in just a couple of years I anticipate we will be doing everything through it.
the other day I went to a web host to have a go at opening a free webspace, but in starting up, the AI just took over, very frustrating, it wanted to give me something that did not represent me, but was very 'corporative' and shallow in nature and I pulled the plug - and did swear!
Today, I have just concluded a blogger post and will press publish tomorrow, but this post is actually quite brief and advises about how I have gone about starting a campaign by just pointing the reader to two useful resources - but states that the campaign path itself will not be blogged, that I will just be gaming for my own pleasure and its own sake.
That is a substantial change from what I might normally do. things that link into that are that I will save myself a huge chunk of time, I don't have to worry when Blogger will publish it and whether it gains any traction with an audience for being late and I don't have to commit to it.
I guess I am wandering a bit around the edges, but what I am trying to say is that all of this recent blogger / AI stuff looks like it may be changing the way I blog in a real way and it is closing down my enthusiasm to put as much effort in.
I'm not too hung up on comments, they are nice I suppose and now of course they might be the only true way to know that you are being read since the Blogger visitor counter has gone off the scale. The comments that we are all getting, are in fact each other, in our small blogger club of friendly and kindly people, the wider visitors don't bother and in a way, they are already part of the AI summary harvesting process - they look, take what they want and go without leaving any footprint!
I fear that the Blogger star has at least been dimmed and we will see more posting of just a few pics and a few words in which it doesn't matter and we won't care whether we are read, published on time or discovered - Oh Dear! :-)
Norm! Your comment leaves a lot to unpack! I will cherry pick a couple of your points made.
DeleteI think you put your finger squarely on the most discouraging consequence of the rise of AI search. The result of AI summaries is not only the effect of seeing reduced visits but a real temptation to reduce the efforts we put into sharing the hobby at all!
AI summaries and anonymous visitors are definitely "takers", but they cannot replace the conversation, encouragement, and shared enthusiasm we develop among our core group of readers. You must admit that you would miss that camaraderie. If you decide to publish shorter posts, chronicling something actually played, painted, or pondered still has more character than most AI-generated summaries.
Yes ..... "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;"
Deletewell that's what a summarised AI search quote turned up anyway :-)
I would have said the same!
DeleteYou raise many interesting questions. I've been frustrated by the inability to get a search engine to point me to a web site, instead spouting some paragraph of regurgitated content. To my surprise, when I asked Google to recommend a search engine, it actually suggested DuckDuckGo (rather than any service provided by Google).
ReplyDeleteThe content of blogs, like that in olde worlde homepages, has always been publicly available and liable to be reused and appropriated by any user. It probably says so somewhere deep in the Google user agreement for the Blogger service.
However, I feel the need for some campaign of civil disobedience, to start posting gibberish, nonsense or at least incomplete, inaccurate and misleading blog posts, just to make the tech companies less keen to use my output as their raw material.
Maybe there's a niche for three bears to supply this kind of grit to the grinding wheels, and my broken brain is ideally suitcased to be that volunteer, sir!
Thank you, Pompey Dave! Funny that Google recommends DuckDuckGo! Your suggestion for a campaign of civil disobedience or introducing questionable content is not without merit. Some bloggers have mentioned (Norm included) that there are inadvertent errors have been redistributed through AI search and have now become fact. Seems like disruption has already begun!
DeleteAppreciate your coments!
Jonathan, the demise of blogging has been thrown around for a few years; the same old bloggers seem to carry on regardless!
ReplyDeleteI feel like a lonely voice in suggesting AI is overhyped and of limited use! I'm sure it has uses in crunching large amounts of data, but as a search tool and research application it is severely limited IMHO.
I do notice search engines are not as useful as they used to be and are always preceded by an AI summary.
For myself, I blog for reasons other than popularity, mostly for myself as a record of what I've done.
Neil
Thank you, Neil! Yes, I imagine many of us will carry on no matter what even though AI search/summaries are changing the landscape. Norm seems to be wavering a bit. I may fall next. I will likely continue blogging since I enjoy it, but like you, it is mainly a personal record. I have considered making the blog private, though, especially if these posting delays continue.
DeleteMy blog hasn’t appeared on Google searches for ages and I never bother looking at page views. I started blogging in 2016 and I was told then that it was over - everyone who was everyone was moving to failbook. AI has actually really helped me both with the blog and other projects by generating graphics I could never hoped to have achieved otherwise. Interesting topic. I for one welcome our new AI overlords (in case they’re scanning this - which having read your post they probably are). They can’t bollocks things up anymore than we’ve already managed to do.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mark! I agree with you that the image AI created of you in your dashing uniform and jaunty pose is absolutely perfect! I see you are covering your bases by proclaiming your acceptance of AI Overlords. You are smarter than I am!
DeleteI have done a few AI queries were it helpfully provides a link to a few blogs, which I have then followed. The misinformation it initially returns is quite noticeable on occasion. For fun I have tried asking it to put together DBMM army lists and it invariably comes up with troop types which are totally irrelevant. I suspect it is conflating rule sets and the answers it provides are still next to useless, whereas reading blogs it links provides much more detailed and accurate information.
ReplyDeleteThat said, it probably depends what AI tool you're using, and the improvements across most are increasing almost exponentially. For fun we fed five pages of technical documentation into an AI tool at work and within minutes it generated a forty minute podcast off the back of it which was not only accurate but also entertaining. Five years ago we would have had to have paid a PR team thousands of dollars to go through several drafts over a few weeks to come up with the same output. Which is why I'm glad I am probably only a few years off retirement as I can see the work landscape shifting dramatically.
Lawrence, the improvements I have seen in AI over the last year or two or even six months is astounding. When I was building machine learning (LLM) models six years ago for work, the computing power and speed today would have been unbelievable.
DeleteGreat post Jon, you raise some interesting questions. For me in particular, I started the blog for myself, as a way to keep track of my games and my painting. As others started following and commenting, I got hooked and my blog kind of twisted into my own magazine. Comments were always very welcome and I kinda chased them.
ReplyDeleteComments are still welcome and wanted, but like Norm said, they're mainly from the blogger community, whete we all comment on each others blogs. Is AI gonna kill blogs, maybe? It'll certainly slow them down, but I'll keep going no matter what, its become part of my hobby, a part that sometimes can be a pain in the butt, but its also part of me......Vive la Blog!
Thanks, Ray! I reckon that for some of us, blogging is now embedded into our blood and a critical component of our wargaming journey.
DeleteTotally agree Jon!
DeleteI think you hit the nail on the head as far as the issue: it's the rhetorical situation that matters (Audience, Purpose, and Form). An audience who is just looking for "answers" will be okay with having a machine spit out a mash up of data mined from multiple sources--although I have a big problem with the absence of attribution of that model, but that's a different topic). A "hobby" audience, on the other hand, is interested in shared experience and knowledge based in the hobby--in short, a "community." Those folks will still find the blogs (I believe). As for me, I will continue to plod along and author my material as always. Although motivations differ, for the bloggers who do it as part of their hobby (ie, for themselves), the AI issue is not a central issue.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ed! You sum up my post very nicely. Did you use AI? Ha ha. For many of us here, I think that blogging is an important part of the hobby.
DeleteA really interesting read, including the linked article as background to your post. I am not sure if I will change anything blog-wise as I have already given up on looking at the views and tend to rely on comments for encouragement on those occasions that blogging feels a bit of a chore.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Peter! Reader commentary is encouraging and an important motivator when this all seems a chore.
DeleteVery interesting post Jonathan, as evidenced by many of the long comments.
ReplyDeleteFor mine I just blog for a record of what I do, the comments I receive are very nice, but the other main benefit is the other blogs I get to read that introduce me to different viewpoints and ideas...that I will steal just like AI does😂
I guess blogger may just fade away with the current set of bloggers. I can't imagine anyone under the age of 50 now starting a blog on Google Blogger given all the other easier and newer ways of displaying or sharing your interests, Instagram, tiktok, etc. I think Facebook will fade away eventually too, only one of my 7 children/children in-laws posts anything there and that is only related to his mountain biking... so essentially a hobby blog. Although we do use it for family chats and posts.
But maybe it will all remain. Just like my daughter in-law's using a film camera, painters still painting instead of photographing, people still riding horses, sewing clothes, knitting, etc. All these things remain and the one great constant will be little boys & girls playing with toy soldiers.... and the occasional one continuing for the rest of their lives. 😂
And finally ("thank god!" says Jonathan) I would be sad if bloggers stopped blogging, I enjoy reading them and commenting, it is a wonderful and kind community.
A very enjoyable and interesting post Jon and I thin it does sum up the state of AI interference and indeed take over of search engines. As for blogs hopefully the stalwarts of our little corner of the blogosphere will continue doing what they do and I for one will be glad if they do!!
ReplyDelete