Monday, May 4, 2020

75mm German IG in 15mm

Having recently completed a BTD German infantry gun and crew in 25mm (See Distractions), I pushed a 15mm Peter Pig German IG into the painting queue.  This little piece jumped ahead of a long line of figures awaiting a slap of paint.  The gun and crew found themselves, suddenly, at the front of the line.
Why the upset in the painting queue?  Well, I have been pondering Norm's Tigers at Minsk (TaM) rules after playing several games of late.  With the rules still relatively fresh in mind, I am interested in giving the rules another run-out before my memory fades.  Following the multiple playings of the introductory scenario, I am ready to try something different.  Different in the sense of presenting a different tactical problem and in introducing armor, infantry guns, and anti-tank weapons in the form of an AT rifle.  Not having any of the mid-war Eastern Front ToE, thoughts have centered on Norway, 1940.

Finding a likely candidate scenario in an old ASL Journal, work begins to convert the situation into one suitable for TaM.  The first scenario under investigation is primarily infantry only with the Germans having an infantry gun and a Panzer II showing up later to bolster the German attack.  Being set in Norway in late April 1940, maneuvering through snow with ski troops with come into play.  

While early war armor and weapons are not included in the original TaM, Norm was kind enough to provide stats for the PZII, H-39, and an infantry gun.  In addition to the IG coming off the painting table, work progresses on fielding some early war armor.  Off the workbench are a few each of PZIIs, H-39s, and Panhards.  All vehicles are 15mm Command Decision models from Old Glory with the exception of one H-39.  That exception is a Peter Pig piece.


Scenario development may take time as forces and timelines are modified to provide a competitive game and new rules are introduced.  How many playtests are needed to get everything in proper working order?  This is a question for which I have no answer.  Once the situation and forces have been stabilized, three complete playings ought to provide a respectable baseline.  More details to follow once the scenario sees further development.

Until then, expect more work from the painting desk.

46 comments:

  1. Nice to see Jonathan and a small project which is keeping you active. Obviously I am a fan of early Germans and been pondering for a while alternative enemies , I might think about Norway now as well ?🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt! My problem is that the small projects have a tendency of becoming the big ones!

      Delete
  2. A lovely little infantry gun and some splendid armour, I look forward to your tigers in Minsk variant scenario playing out!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain! With a little luck, I can maintain focus long enough to get it done!

      Delete
  3. Excellent gun, crew and tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking early war Germans Jonathon ...look forward to seeing them in use very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to seeing them on the table soon too.

      Delete
  5. Loving the Infantry Gun.
    That circular base has me thinking in terms of rebasing ALL my artillery from every period now LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darren!

      Reebasing ALL artillery from EVERY period? Now, that is a bit funny!

      Delete
  6. This is going to be a very interesting project and your models look great. I note that Peter Pig are significantly part way through re-sculpting their Early War Germans, so there may become a renewed interest in the period from PP fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Norway campaign has long held my interest as the pile of books in my library can attest. It will be fun to adapt the theater to your rules.

      Most of my infantry are Old Glory but Peter Pig has a growing presence. New sculpts? This could be dangerous.

      Delete
  7. Another lovely little unit and look forward to your Norway games:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good, Norway is growing closer!

    I have no idea regarding how many playtests, I'm more of a 'jump in and see how this goes' kinda guy ;) But if anyone can help, it's Norm, he wrote the rules!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack!

      I am a "jump in and go" guy too but I try to home in on a balanced scenario after a number of trials. Perhaps, Norm can be convinced to playtest this scenario once I get something solidified?

      Delete
  9. Very nice 15mm models, Jonathan. I'm considering 15mm for certain Bolt Action scenarios; particularly ones where I don't have anything in 28mm already (Russians and Japanese), and the scale of the game would make 28's seem too abstract. I'm thinking something along the lines of Khalkhin Gol . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dean!

      Bolt Action in 15mm sounds terrific! I look forward to following project developments. This is a theater in which I have no knowledge so it will doubly interesting to see this project form.

      Delete
  10. I always enjoy your WWII work Jonathan and these look great. You are allowing yourself a fair bit of variety in your projects, which is a great way to stay motivated and I wish I could do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lawrence. I do offer up a lot of variety. At present, I have units for five different projects in work. Variety at the painting desk is a great to remain motivated, for sure.

      Delete
  11. Just realised it was 80 years ago last month!

    Are you planning to fight Germans v Norwegians or v British/French? A shoot and scoot scenario/delaying action would be good for the Norse boys (thought inspired by the King’s ‘No’ film).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The campaign was 80 years ago in April.

      This first battle will feature British vs Germans as the 148th BDE attempts to slow down the German advance at Tretten. Mostly an infantry affair but a PZII may make an appearance along with elements of the 138th Gerbirgsjager RGT on skis. Main fighting will be between elements of the British 148th BDE trying to fend off elements of the German 196th Infantry DIV.

      Delete
  12. Interesting stuff, and the only scale I don't seem to have any WWII figures in. I would be interested to give ToM a try when the captain turns off the fasten seatbelts sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we are free to move about the cabin very soon. When we can, I have an urge to get a number of different games onto the table.

      Delete
  13. The 75mm IG is one of my favorites. I dunno, I just like the look of it.
    Yours looks great too. I like the round base. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a neat little piece in my book too! It has a certain charm. We will see how it performs in battle soon.

      Delete
  14. Hey Jonathan! I noticed that your blog had Palouse in the title. I just moved to the Palouse from Reno and looking for someone to game with after lockdown is lifted. I'm in Pullman but want to get up to Spokane for a visit (when Governor Inslee says it's okay!). Email is tdboni2@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Palouse! When the situation relaxes, I will drop you an email.

      Delete
  15. Like Stew, the infantry gun is one of my favourites...along with the two French vehicles. Must get around to getting a gun set in 28mm at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IG is a neat little piece, for sure. Which rules do you use for 28mm WWII?

      Delete
  16. Very nice job, love this gun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too like this gun on the table, very nice models, I would probably have gone 20mm if I could go back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George, I would have been well ahead of the game had I maintained my interest in WWII at the 1/72 scale. When I was young, WWII in 1/72 was my preference. When I returned to WWII, 15mm and 28mm took over. I would sure enjoy having all of those 1/72 plastic models back today!

      Delete
  18. Couldn't imagine being one of those poor jagers having to push one of those guns about, especially in churned up battlefields.

    Lovely work as ever Jon. Looking forward to seeing these on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a big gun for three to manhandle. This piece will see action very soon.

      Thanks for your comment, Dai!

      Delete
  19. Looks good, and i am happy to see there is a method to your madness... this time! :-)

    ReplyDelete