Monday, April 27, 2020

15th Legere in 28mm

The skirmisher stand featured in the prior post describing my skirmisher reorganization efforts was a precursor to today's painting desk offering. The parent battalion for that pair of skirmishers musters off the desk as the 15th Legere Battalion.  Figures are Front Rank.  Robust figures with very little flash, Front Rank Napoleonics are always a pleasure to paint.
It was during the work on this battalion that I contemplated my present skirmisher situation.  Should skirmishers remain an abstraction in the rules or revert to an explicit skirmisher function?  Do I really want to tackle rebasing all of my skirmishers?  After completing the 15th, the two skirmishers were pulled aside for a trial.  To ease my mind into the new thought process, the two skirmishers for the 15th were based upon the hex stand.  After painting, flocking, and tufting the stand, I decided this was the proper way forward.  Many hours later, the task was finished.   
    
Here is another photo of the skirmisher stand taken at a slightly different angle from the photo shown in the previous post.
What this exercise demonstrates is that I can be easily distracted from the task at hand.  What began as fielding one more French legere battalion for the project took a sharp turn into a rethink and rebasing of all of the skirmishers present and fit for duty.  With initial intention only to add one more battalion, those plans were confounded by rebasing nearly 100 individual skirmishers into pairs.  In addition, a dozen new skirmishers needed to be pushed into the painting queue to bring all of the battalions up to the proper complement of skirmishers.  Sometimes, I make a mountain out of a mole hill.

48 comments:

  1. Gorgeous French legere! Splendidly colourful chaps!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overly work Jonathan. The skirmishers question is a challenge and one i am wrestling with for my AWI. For the ACW i do have separate figures and rules with figure s individually based, in ACW they have the benefit of being able to play as dismounted cavalry etc....cant really do this with Napoleonics tough. I am pondering the same approach for AWI ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! It is comforting to see that I am not alone in wrestling with the "perfect" approach to dealing with skirmishers.

      Delete
  3. A lovely looking unit Jonathan... I am looking forward to getting some French light troops painted for my own Napoleonic project...
    After seeing yours I may just go for the 15th...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aly! I very much look forward to seeing your handiwork on a battalion or two of French Legere. They will be shiny and beautiful!

      Delete
  4. Looking good, Jonathan. The troops definitely look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job as always on the 15eme Legere Jonathon. Do you intend to field one or two of the hexagonally based skirmishers per unit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Keith! The current plan is to field one such such stand per battalion. The combat effectiveness of the stand will vary depending upon the parent battalion's unit type and combat effectiveness. I prefer moving fewer pieces to more.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. they are such splendid fellows, I think they make a good visual splash, working in pair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norm! Since skirmishers tended to work in pairs, for me, basing skirmishers in pair seems right.

      Delete
    2. I agree and base my skirmishers as pairs across a variety of rulesets. They also stand out when on the table, which helps in the heat of a game.

      Delete
    3. Possible confusion in the heat of battle is another reason to base skirmishers on a distinctively shaped base.

      Delete
  7. I do love the simple elegance of the French Legere uniforms... and the wide variety of gaudy embellishments possible for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again a lovely looking unit and I'm glad you're happy with the skirmisher basing you went with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I am satisfied with my skirmisher decision...for now.

      Delete
    2. "... for now"

      Hmmm, two small words to strike fear into the heart of us gamers;)

      Delete
  9. Love your lights, that rebasing thing is the bane of all wargamers ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad to see granularity won. It presents as many more toys of yours that I can ogle.

    ..and skirmishers are fun in the right context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be pleased to see these once abandoned skirmishers formed up and back onto the gaming table.

      Maneuvering skirmishers and gaming the "small war" is often a game within a game.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  11. The unit looks great Jonathan and I agree Front Rank figures are a pleasure to paint!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Christopher! Painting FR figures is easy on the eyes.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous unit Jonathan. And yes, I agree, FR are definitely tops!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A classic case of mission creep there Jonathan, but well worth it. Front Rank are terrific figures - just the right amount of detail and very easy to pick out. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! This was a classic case of mission creep. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful Legere, Jonathan. Love them in full dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Dean! I enjoy seeing legere in full dress too.

      Delete
  15. Nice painting there Jonathan. It’s a cracking looking unit.
    At least while painting napoleonic line troops you got distracted by napoleonic skirmish troops which is the same ball park. Some people paint napoleonic line troops and get distracted into star wars... the mind is mysterious. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stew!

      Some minds are more mysterious than others...

      Delete
  16. Cracking job Jonathan, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely light infantry. I always liked the short gaiters.
    They are so much easier to put on! And they are looking very cool.

    ReplyDelete