Thursday, March 21, 2019

Cycling the Palouse - 1st Day of Spring?

View from driveway
March 20, first day of Spring on the Palouse and the sun has returned!

Still witnessing the lingering effects of a late winter snowfall, this week the mercury began to creep up and the two feet of snow began to melt.  While cycling indoors at the gym, the regulars were commenting that it would not be long before cycling could return to the outdoors.  With temperatures in the mid-50s Monday and Tuesday and a high expected near 60 on Wednesday, I marked the first day of Spring as the day to test both bike and body outdoors for the first time since late fall.  I figured I would take it easy on this first rite of Spring.  Perhaps, 10-12 miles in a quick loop around the bluff where I figured the roads would be well maintained.  If roads looked serviceable and body and bike felt good then the route could be lengthened to include a rural ride.
Snow on the left, grit on the right
Situated on a bluff 600 feet above the city, proper, about six inches of snow still lingered on the ground.  Local roadways were clear of snow and ice but debris left over from the winter sanding regime was brushed off onto the sides of the road.  Often these debris fields were covering the bike lanes and shoulders.  

As I dropped down into the valley, the snow all but disappeared.  Debris on the shoulder was tolerable and potholes, which often appear in great number after a long winter, were minimal.
Climbing up and out of the valley and onto the rolling hills of the Palouse, snow was present but not to the depth as found at the house.  Oh, how pleasant to once again be out on the bike under the warmth of the sun.  Invigorating.
Dropping down into Hangman Valley, snow was visible on the ground and on the heights in the distance but as I reached the valley floor, the snow was all but gone.

With little or no snow in the valley, I decided to extend the ride to include one of my regular routes.  At 25 miles that might provide a sense of how both man and machine endured the long, winter months.  Having elevation change of about 2,200 feet across the route would be a good test too.
Having to ride a little more tentatively due to road debris and water on the road, I completed the route in one and a half hours.  That is about five minutes slower than usual but acceptable given the conditions and the first time out.  Covered in a bit of mud and grit, I returned safely to the house.

Spring looks to have finally arrived on the Palouse and cycling can switch from the monotony of the indoor trainer to the pleasure of the outdoors.  Let's hope the weather continues to cooperate.

32 comments:

  1. We forget here in the UK of how long the Winter can last 'over the pond'. Spring has well and truly arrived here, which is great. Oh and I'm envious of your roads as ours are, shall we say, not quite up to the standard of yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, a late snow set Spring back by several weeks. It looks like the tide has turned and Spring may, indeed, be on the way.

      I never thought our roads would be a source of pride or envy! Usually, after winter, the roads resemble No Man's Land after a lengthy bombardment.

      Delete
  2. Respect, Jon! Looks great too. Enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The body is ok today and ready for another go this afternoon. Glad you enjoyed the photos. With photos snapped near ground level, it is difficult to convey the vistas properly.

      Delete
  3. Lovely light, and what empty roads!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The low southern sun seemed present in most of my photos.

      Delete
  4. The vicarious spring bike ride in the Palouse marks the turn of another season: thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another season, for sure! When temperatures warm to the 50s and I can dispense with jacket and long pants, Spring has arrived. It will be even better when the snow has vanished and the roads have been swept of all of the winter debris.

      Delete
  5. Nice cycling trip! Glad to know you're recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look good to get out. I was outside running finally yesterday, but the bike is still in the garage until the county starts removing road debris. I am afraid my tires would not survive the trip to the main trail. Conversely, that 60 degree weather yesterday brought the river all the way up the edge yesterday. We will see if today brings it into the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the ride yesterday, I noticed that Latah Creek was running really high. Not in flood stage yet but high. I thought about your homestead and recalled the flooding in years past. I ought to make a trip downtown to see how much water is pouring over the falls. A lot, I bet!

      Delete
  7. Not a single car in sight! And what great roads!

    Oh and 25 miles in 90 minutes is no mean feat! I salute you 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, traffic was light outside of the city limits but not always that car-free. I only kept photos in which there were no cars. I shaved two minutes off the same route today.

      Delete
    2. You’d never manage a single car-less pic in Malta haha!!! Well, maybe at night.

      Another 2 minutes? You’re really going for gold now!😊

      Delete
    3. One day I will travel to Malta and see for myself!

      Delete
  8. I hope you stop to take the pics, or do you dare devil it and snap the pics while pedaling? Lol. Nice pictures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos are snapped automatically every half second on the Go Pro affixed to my front stem. The Go Pro is my wife's means for gathering evidence to avenge what she predicts will be my ultimate demise on the bike. She says, "Never leave home without it!"

      Delete
  9. Great idea for a first day of spring!
    I have to prepare my bike for the season, because the weather is once better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Very nice to be back outside after a long winter.

      Delete
  11. Nice scenes, Jonathan. Sun was out here in Western WA too; my allergies have kicked in too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad about your allergies, Dean. Hope it passes quickly.

      Delete
  12. Looks like a great ride Jonathan. To me the thought of snow us appealing, but then it is not something we see in our neck of the woods, so if we had to live with it my thoughts might be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a few months of the white stuff, snow loses its novelty especially when it must be shoveled from the driveway frequently. Oh, my aching back!

      Delete
  13. Very nice; it is feeling like spring in Southern New England as well... although we did have an inch or two of snow overnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, my days of snow are numbered for this year.

      Delete
  14. I always enjoy your extra cycling photo's and makes makes one want to get on a bike and start peddling.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy the cycling posts. Now, get out and ride!

      Delete