Sunday, October 7, 2018

More French Artillery for the 1799 Project

Even with a few, recent 28mm painting distractions, focus remains on work for the 15/18mm projects.  The focus on painting 15/18mm for 2018 is one the goals set out at the beginning of January that remains intact.  Sticking to some of my other objectives for the year has not been as easy.  Oh well, with three months remaining in 2018, still time to correct my ways...
Off the painting desk today are four more guns and crew for the 1799 project.  While plenty of French batteries having shako-wearing crew could be pressed into service for these early campaigns, I really wanted to field artillery in bicorne for these battles.  Despite more work and a tendency towards redundancy in the number of batteries to field, I am pleased with the decision as the French artillery in bicorne look good.
These four guns and crew are from AB Miniatures and are excellent sculpts.  With the addition of this fearsome foursome, all of the French artillery needed for Rivoli are present.  With the number of recent additions to this project, it is time to commit thoughts of an Order of Battle down on paper to assess what remains to field.  Although not needed for Rivoli, early French carabiniers are making their way through the production line.  Lots of other units are seen marching through the painting queue.  A little surprise consisting of two units as a "test" is in work too.   Stay tuned.

27 comments:

  1. Lovely bicorne wearing artillery! A splendid project and I look forward to the carabiniers,so you have already finished two units of your WSS project? Very impressive!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iain! I am enjoying this project very much. It seems a long time has passed since the 1800 Montebello game. It will be fun to get this project in action again.

      As for projects, were a detective in a past career? You are quite right regarding the WSS. While no commitments to a WSS project (although I often think of it), I do have two units on the painting desk as a trial. You are a smart one!

      Delete
    2. It was the wistful post on my blog where you said it was on your mind!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. The older I get, I find myself appreciating the look of bicorned units—so far, I haven’t plunged into the era, but the flesh weakens under such tempations: lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lean towards preferring the look of bicorne over shako too. Perhaps we are tiring of the same-old-same-old and are looking for something different to provide an escape from the routine and common?

      Delete
  3. Artillery needed! And this one is splendid, AB + Johnathan'job = superbe artilerie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, you are always so supportive! That quality is MUCH appreciated!

      Delete
  4. Nice group of artillery men there. The bicorne are fun and stand out from the more common shako.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave, and I agree completely! See my comment to Ed above.

      Delete
  5. Great looking batteries, Jonathan. I do love the look of the big bicornes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking artillery battery. The bicorne hats do look good although I am more of a shako type of guy.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Ross! I guess there are two kinds of guys: shako guys and bicorne guys. I like both!

      Delete
  7. Very nice job Jonathan and I agree, there is no point in doing a "different" Napoleonic era then having the same uniforms as the later period - Bicorns are de rigeuer for this period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Comforting to have validation to this madness.

      Delete
  8. Liking these very much, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool as always. I like the look of the Early French, a bit harder to come by in the hobby it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like the early French too and liking them more with each passing unit completed.

      Delete
  10. Nice guns Jonathan. I am starting to develop a liking for the Revolutionary Wars...the bicornes and those wonderful flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. The early campaigns have much to offer including smaller sized battles and interesting uniforms as seen in your super 1798 project.

      Delete
  11. Although I have but a handful of troops in Bicorns, I have probably 100+ to paint. No bicorn wearing artillery as yet, but yours look super, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I am sure your massive Napoleonic collection will continue its march back into the earlier period to include bicorned French sometime.

      Delete