Monday, October 1, 2018

Lancashire FRW Austrians in Casquet

A new manufacturer's wares have been added into the 1799 project lineup for the Austrians.  Almost all of the Austrians for this project are sourced from AB Miniatures with a few additions from Battle Honors and Campaign Game Miniatures.  Having painted a number of Lancashires Games' figures from their 1859 range and seeing the infantry matched well with other manufacturers' 18mm figures, I gave the French Revolutionary War Austrian range a try.  
With few examples of these figures found on the Internet either painted or unpainted, I chose the Austrians in march attack wearing casquet as a promising trial purchase.  When the package arrived, I found the march attack pose provided a solid sculpt with the fusilier stepping off at a quick and long stride.  The head and headgear seem a little undersized for the body but that impression may be an illusion brought about by the long legs and long stride.  
Led by a mounted officer from AB, the composition shows the figures do not look out of place with the 18mm AB figure.  While the sculpting may not be as crisp as the AB, it is more physically compatible with AB figures than the smaller Battle Honors.  With enough figures to field at least three more battalions, these Lancashire Austrians provide variety to the predominant horde of AB Austrians.  These two battalions muster out as IR#1.

Note:  The latest iOS upgrade to 12.0 seems to cause transient issues with commenting from Safari.  If you notice that your Google profile is not registering when attempting to comment from Safari, you are experiencing this glitch.  Also, your status as Follower will not register either (the Followers section may show as "Follow" even if you are already a Follower).  To circumvent this, try commenting from Chrome.  Chrome works for me in bypassing this (hopefully) temporary issue.

40 comments:

  1. Figures with a definite purposeful stride. Lancashire Games are a very good resource for the 15mm gamer, though I got some Normans and found the metal very soft for spear armed troops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norm, the metal is soft and can be a problem with spears getting too bendy. In general, I like the softer metal. Figures molded in pewter can be more difficult to clean and straighten if bent.

      Lancashire Games have many good 15/18mm ranges. I especially lie their FAW/FPW 15mm ranges.

      Delete
  2. Your 1799 units continue to march off the painting table. How far through the project are you now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, my projects rarely seem to reach the "Completion" Phase. Always more to add it seems. I should roll the collection out on the table for a parade review to assess its current size.

      Delete
  3. And this is why I sometimes regret my adoption of and devotion to 6mm. Those Austrians look bloody lovely. I'd probably spend more time looking at them than gaming with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them and THANK YOU for becoming a Follower!

      I spend more time painting than gaming but I enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on those boys from Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice results. What size unit do these represent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! For this project, each infantry stand represents a battalion.

      Delete
  6. Great looking Austrians in white, Jonathan. Nice mix of the different makes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. Trying to create diversity wherever I can.

      Delete
  7. Another great looking unit. I think we need to see some of these armies on full display....if you get a chance 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt! That is a good idea. At present, my table is fully occupied.

      Delete
  8. Another grand looking unit Jonathan.

    For once I am glad that I am operating an old iPad that won't accept the lastest iOS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark!

      Yes, the old iOS is sometimes better. If I would have stuck to my old iOS years ago, I still would have been able you use the Blogger App on my iPad.

      Delete
  9. These white uniforms are always a challenge, congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely looking Austrians! I'd like to see a parade of this project too,wh wh you can fit it in that is.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain! With more than one call for a parade, when the table clears I will fit one in.

      Delete
  11. Great job, the casquet is an odd but distinctive piece of headgear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark! I really like the casquet and the early Austrian army.

      Delete
  12. Your output of painted units is truly amazing. I know of know one who paints more than you. How is it that you even have a lead pile? 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Stew! I am not as fast as some I know. My plan is to paint a little as often as I can sneak in the time. Still having a lead pile suggests I buy more than I paint. The pile is still HUGE because I have great difficulty bypassing a sale on figures.

      Delete
  13. They are beautiful as always, Jon. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Auqtrian addition Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They do look splendid.

    I like marching/advancing poses the best for gaming purposes. Just that much easier to rank bases up else musket/rifle barrels and bayonets cause a bloody nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! To me, marching are easier to rank and file but I like the advancing pose a lot too. Infantry at the advance look more determined to take the ground than their leisurely marching comrades.

      Delete
  16. Nice looking unit, and leave it to the Austrians to always come through with interesting headgear for the time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! i really enjoy seeing the Austrians in casquet. The combed helmet is cool too as is the grenadier bearskin.

      Delete
    2. I think the helmets are still my favorite for the time period. It really helps them stand out. That and they are a nice change of pace from painting Tricornes, Bicornes or Shakos.

      Delete
    3. I am not so fond of painting tricorne lace. How you are managing this that task in 10mm is beyond me.

      Delete