Wednesday, August 29, 2018

German Pak 40 from BTD

With nothing but 18mm figures parading across the painting desk for three months, time to interject something different.  Something different I found.

Out from The Lead Pile is a Black Tree Design 28mm German Pak 40 with three crew.  I picked this piece up on a BTD sale awhile back along with a couple other pieces of ordnance.  Finally, I decided to put the gun together to give the Germans some punch in the next Chain of Command (CoC) game.  I gave this gun a weathered and beat up look.  Hopefully, not too beat up.       
While the last CoC game is but a faint memory, work on this project is an even more distant memory.  Looking at the Painting Log, the last figures to see action at the painting desk were a German sniper and spotter team almost two years ago.  My, how time flies!

Following the Zorndorf game (I need to tap out a BatRep for that), activity at the painting desk returns to fielding more 18mm troops.  In the queue are more units for the 1799 project.  Included in the batch working through the production line are another pair of Austrian guns, Austrian infantry, French legere, and dismounted Russian Cossacks.  Just enough to keep me busy.

40 comments:

  1. Very cool, big gun, Jonathan! Makes me want to get back to WW2 tanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. I had the same sensation while working on this gun. Time to bring out Chain of Command!

      Delete
  2. Very nice, beautiful light brown shades...Two years?? Wow, impressive...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice AT gun, I liked the Black Tree WW2 figures I painted, these have come out really well! I finally did a bit of painting last night, I've just been cleaning and prepping figures for the last few months, sounds like more than enough to keep you busy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iain, I like the BTD WWII figures very much as well. Easy to paint and look great on the gaming table.

      Good to see you back at the painting table. Is all of your cleaning and prep in anticipation of this years' Analog Hobbies Challenge?

      Delete
    2. I don't know,I just got in the swing of prepping and priming while it was hot,now it's cooled down it's better for painting I guess?
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. In preparation for winter, I tend to prep and primer enough figures to last through the cold winter months when primering outside is not ideal.

      Delete
  4. A nice break in scale, I imagine that base has a very satisfying heft to it, the PaK 40 being quite a big gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, the base is indeed a hefty piece. A nice, solid plunk when it is placed on the gaming table is the result.

      Delete
  5. Great job Jonathan! I like very much the light tones of the gun and the variety of desert grass colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking AT gun which must have been a refreshing change to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slipping this gun into the painting queue was a good change of pace. For now, back to painting 18mm figures.

      Delete
  7. On the surface, a radical shift, but think about it. From bright yellow Austrian ordnance to pale yellow German ordnance, you're in a rut, man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Ed!

      As long as the yellow paint was at-hand, why not?

      Delete
  8. Nicely executed Jon. I have been considering doing British Paras as my next project in this era. This might be the tipping point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A platoon of British paras would be great!

      Delete
  9. Very nice work, I’m a bit naughty as I sometimes play my AT guns as different version but I do need to get A Pak 40.😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes, more artillery, even if it is direct fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More artillery in work although back to the 1799 project.

      Delete
  11. Nice to change things up once in a while!

    Nice-looking gun and crew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That'll give my Shermans something to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another nice gun. Two posts of guns in a row, is that a theme starting Jonathan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have another couple of guns coming off the production line...

      Delete
    2. Looking at the painting log, it really was the Guns of August.

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking gun piece Jonathan I'm sure it's going to wreck the day of a few allies!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christopher! If I am commanding Germans, that is exactly the outcome I seek..wrecking allies!

      Delete
  15. That is a nice looking gun, but I can't wait for Zorndorf.

    ReplyDelete