Tuesday, June 19, 2018

SYW Pr Cuirassier RGT #10 - Two More Squadrons

Two more squadrons from Prussian Cuirassier Regiment #10 Gendarme trot off the painting desk.  While I awaited a resupply from Eureka Miniatures for Prussian hussars in busby with which to bolster the Prussian army at Zorndorf, a dozen cuirassiers went into the painting queue and emerged on the other end completed. 
As I have mentioned many times before, Eureka SYW cavalry are my favorite for the this period in 18mm.  Unfortunately, once commits to fielding Eureka cavalry, no other manufacturer compares favorably with respect to size.  Eureka cavalry are real monsters.  Big and beautiful.  Also in work for the SYW project is a regiment of two battalions (46 figures total) of Prussian fusiliers.  Rather than Eureka, this time I chose Blue Moon.  

Speaking of a Eureka resupply, that package of reinforcements arrived in yesterday's post.  A lot of stuff in the package primarily figures for the SYW and 1799 projects.  Looking over a potential OB for Rivoli, early French horse artillery ought to be recruited into the painting queue.  Several more Austrian infantry battalions are in the queue as well.  Always lots to work on.

38 comments:

  1. A great job on these PRUSSIAN cavalry Johnathan...I managed to delete my previous comment before anyone spotted that I had called them AUSTRIAN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are Prussian, for sure. Perhaps I deleted your first post before anyone saw?

      Delete
  2. Johnathan - great work there on your Cuirassier Regiment- very nice indeed. By coincidence I have just readied my 18mm Eureka Cuirassiers for Undercoating in Matt Black for my Fictional 1846 Project. They are great sculptures. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, Kev! Are you using Mexican cuirassiers for your fictional forces? Eureka's Mex-Am range is a good one!

      Delete
    2. Johnathan - Yes, for my 'Stannisfeld' and 'Leonia' Fictional Armies - I'm using the 18mm EUREKA- US Dragoons, Mexican Cuirassiers and Mexican Hussars for my European themed Troops. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
  3. They look beautiful, disciplined and ready for action...great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil! I hope they prove to be disciplined on the field of battle.

      Delete
  4. A good sense of ‘mass’ for Heavy Cavalry. The Blue Moon stuff always looks like quality sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pack 'em boot-to-boot! That is heavy cav ought to advance, right?

      These cavalry are Eureka. I find the Blue Moon horse look a bit odd to me.

      Delete
  5. Very nice looking unit. What determines the number of figures you used on a stand? Rules or look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! Number of figures is set by what looks good to me.

      Delete
  6. excellent progress as usual, quality and quantity 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking cuirassiers, they certainly look the part!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With that much lead on a 60x30 stand, it is "heavy" cavalry, no doubt!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Lovely toys...
    And given their diminutive size...looking rather ‘heavy’. :-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicely done, I can't wait to watch them ride down and slaughter all of my Russian Dragoons....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Panzers! er... cuirassier. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Scott! One day, you will likely see these fellas in action.

      Delete
  12. Some seriously intimidating cavalry there. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing how 12 little horsemen packed tightly onto a base can really give (for me at least) the sense of a much larger unit. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspiring work as always, Jonathan. Makes my 6 figure cav units look paltry.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And a grand couple of squadrons they are too Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete